Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Apple tablet / netbook / large iPhone is coming for real

Apple tablet / netbook / large iPhone is coming for real (Page 9)
mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 25, 2010, 05:11 PM

I guess I was thinking about myself. I just refuse to pay anything over $599 or something that is an iPhone with a big screen. I don't even want to think about synchronizing the devices... They could easily come out with a $1000 version with an iPhone/iPod Touch built in...

I just find $600 a bit high for an iPhone screen.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 25, 2010, 08:58 PM

Based on the rumors popping up in the last few days, I'm imagining a device that acts as an always-on access point to iTunes for the whole household. A home-media interface. We can do that right now with a computer, but our computers are often in isolated locations. This could be something that can sit anywhere: kitchen island, coffee table, over the mantle, wall mounted.

Personally, I'm starting to think that I'm going to be disappointed if this thing does anything less than completely change how I interact with 1's and 0's in my house (I don't think this is going to be something that we use Photoshop on).

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 26, 2010, 02:03 AM

I like the media interface idea. Especially if it comes in below $599. However, with Apple's track record in this department, how usable would such a device really be to me? Will it support the entire plethora of formats I find on the net (Matroshka, AVI, DiVX, etc. regardless of how crappy they might be) or will it - similar to AppleTV - require major hacking to actually become useful at all? I don't know if Apple is liberal enough in terms of video formats to make useful hub devices.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2010, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
I like the media interface idea. Especially if it comes in below $599. However, with Apple's track record in this department, how usable would such a device really be to me? Will it support the entire plethora of formats I find on the net (Matroshka, AVI, DiVX, etc. regardless of how crappy they might be) or will it - similar to AppleTV - require major hacking to actually become useful at all? I don't know if Apple is liberal enough in terms of video formats to make useful hub devices.
There's an app for that.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 26, 2010, 05:08 AM

Not on the iPhone. Not on the iPod touch. Not on AppleTV. Not on anything but the Mac. And there it's provided by third parties. Never by Apple.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2010, 05:33 AM

If this new device's OS and platform is as constrained as the iPhone platform, it will be a real disappointment. But given how successful the iPhone platform is, that's probably what we're going to get.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

OreoCookie
Jan 26, 2010, 05:43 AM

How can you be sure, Big Mac?

I agree that the intended use of this tablet makes or breaks it, but I think they wouldn't release it if they hadn't something in store for us.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2010, 07:33 AM

I'm not at all sure, just speculating based on recent precedent and being pessimistic. The fact is that modern Apple likes a lot of control.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2010, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
they wouldn't release it if they hadn't something in-store for us.
fixed

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2010, 02:05 PM

I wonder how many apple.com/itablet /islate /canvas /ipad hits apple.com's webserver log has?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2010, 02:11 PM

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 26, 2010, 02:14 PM

I'm just wondering what's the feature that everyone is going to bitch is missing?

(The suspense is building)

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2010, 02:16 PM

This is the wacky time. When we all build this thing up and up in our minds... tomorrow is the real fun though, when everyone is mad and disappointed and the real bickering begins.

I think the real innovation of this device is going to have to be all software based. I'd be surprised if they even tell us real specs for the thing.

I was thinking... if Apple was smart, they would create a new unified standard for delivering ebooks, emagazines and enewspapers and then license it out for everyone so they can have a little piece of the pie from now until forever.

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2010, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
I think the real innovation of this device is going to have to be all software based. I'd be surprised if they even tell us real specs for the thing.
Bingo.

Nobody cares about the specs. To be successful, it has to work well and be fun to use. Everything else is just a fanboi's wet dreams.

-t

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2010, 02:20 PM

I wonder why the announcement wasn't on Tuesday.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2010, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
I wonder why the announcement wasn't on Tuesday.
Steve's kids had a soccer game.

-t

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2010, 02:30 PM

Okay, so let's say they introduce this new eMedia store and a whole new way to interact with print media and yadda yadda yadda...

Do you think the Tablet will be the only way to access this media, or will we be able to get it on our Macs, iPods and iPhones?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 26, 2010, 02:33 PM

Oh god, I'd hate to consider that possibility.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2010, 02:36 PM

I imagine they'll be an upgrade to iTunes to include the new media. I can't see why desktops would be blocked out, aren't there e-reader applications?

but again, this is Apple we're talking about - anything is possible.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2010, 02:37 PM

I don't know which speculation is/was more exciting: the mythical tablet or the iphone (when it was also a mythical creature).

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2010, 02:44 PM

iPhone for sure, at least for me.

I find all the hype around the iTablet interesting though, especially given that nobody anywhere as yet has given us a compelling reason why the iTablet would be a success.

P.S. If the big papers all go pay-per-use through locked iTunes or an iTablet, I'll just stop reading them.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2010, 02:48 PM

Someone should make a D&D Monster Manual with various Apple products.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2010, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
iPhone for sure, at least for me.

I find all the hype around the iTablet interesting though, especially given that nobody anywhere as yet has given us a compelling reason why the iTablet would be a success.
That's actually a good point. I was stoked when the iPhone was coming out because I knew I was going to get one for sure but for the tablet I know I'll want it but it'll probably be a while before I would get one. Plus all the speculation and projected specs are fun to read.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2010, 02:52 PM

As mentioned before, the big question is if it's going to be an iPhone or an AppleTV in terms of success.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 26, 2010, 02:54 PM

Where does the MacBook Air fit in all that?

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2010, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Where does the MacBook Air fit in all that?
I truly forget that exsists sometimes. I didn't think there was that much hype over the air.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 26, 2010, 02:57 PM

True, but he's rating the items on success.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2010, 03:05 PM

Air? It's probably their worst selling laptop, but I don't know for sure. Then again, it may have been a small success in that Apple probably got a bit of increased unit sales from that, and given its high $ price, that can't be completely ignored.

But ultimately? The Air IMO is a big letdown.

The difference though is the Air is just another laptop so that's not a big deal. An iTablet would be an entirely new category... unless it's just a bigger iPhone.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 26, 2010, 03:07 PM

Air? It's probably their worst selling laptop, but I don't know for sure. Then again, it may have been a small success in that Apple probably got a bit of increased unit sales from that, and given its high $ price, that can't be completely ignored.

But ultimately? The Air IMO is a big letdown.
But you were talking sales, right? Not image. You think the Air sold more or less than the AppleTV?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2010, 03:09 PM

But you were talking sales, right? Not image. You think the Air sold more or less than the AppleTV?
No idea. I'm not sure it really matters though, since the Air is one of many laptops, and AppleTV is a standalone product in an entirely different category.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 26, 2010, 03:11 PM

No idea. I'm not sure it really matters though, since the Air is one of many laptops, and AppleTV is a standalone product in an entirely different category.
Well, in many regards the tablet will be one of many laptops, just with a special interface.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2010, 03:13 PM

Well, in many regards the tablet will be one of many laptops, just with a special interface.
Yes and no. An iTablet with a separate OS and different media-related features would be a different category. A tablet running the regular Snow Leopard would just be one of many laptops.

IF if it's in a different category, then one wonders if it's in the iPhone category, or in an independent 3rd one... or tries to bridge the two categories. This is what concerns me. As an oversimplistic summary of what I'm thinking:

1) Big iPhone = meh
2) Touchscreen laptop = meh
3) Bridge of iPhone and laptop = kludgey meh
4) Unique product = Interesting

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 26, 2010, 03:15 PM

It's definitely a mash of several categories. Without having seen it, that's why I don't think it'll fail* (I won't claim success, but I think it'll fare better than the AppleTV). It should appeal to several different segments. Price is the real issue (to me).

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2010, 03:18 PM

Well, doing better than AppleTV isn't really saying much.

To put it another way, I think part of Apple's share price factors in the OMGiTablet. If it is a product that is destined merely to best AppleTV, then that can't sustain AAPL on its own.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 26, 2010, 03:19 PM

Perhaps not, but to be quite honest, I'm not concerned with it being a success as much as it being something I want.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2010, 03:22 PM

I think that part of Apple's brilliance is in creating the need, then people want.
Get 'em hooked while they're young!
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2010, 03:23 PM

Which brings me back to my original point. What "need" do you think Apple will create here? Cuz that need is what is absolutely key to its success.

Lint Police
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 26, 2010, 03:26 PM

no matter what, it is less than 24 hours until we know what we didn't know we needed.

cause we're not quite "the fuzz"

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2010, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Lint Police View Post
no matter what, it is less than 24 hours until we know what we didn't know we needed.
Worse, in 24 hours, we'll all go nuts, saying that we can't make it till March when it finally ships.

Mark my words.

-t

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2010, 03:38 PM

Which brings me back to my original point. What "need" do you think Apple will create here? Cuz that need is what is absolutely key to its success.
This.

Do people need a big iPhone?
Do people need a screen-only device?

For Apple to get into this arena, they have to offer something substantially different.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2010, 03:53 PM

I think it comes down to what I said somewhere way earlier in this thread, anticipating Gruber’s “The Tablet” piece. This kind of thing will work for people who are always having to think about whether to bring a laptop with them. The idea is, lots of people have a laptop as their only computer. They don’t need the portability very often, let alone all the time. So why not let those people have a more powerful computer with a big ol’ screen on their desk, and a tablet that goes with them whenever they have a bag? If it’s under 2 lb and is comfortable to read and surf the web on, bringing it with is a no-brainer.

Folks who take their laptops with them all the time to do work that exceeds The Tablet’s capabilities won’t be the target market at first. And a lot of people who are better targets (own a laptop but don’t move it much) still won’t feel like spending the money on it. But I think enough people are going to think it’s awesome on the first pass to make a lot of other folks curious, and more willing to spend on the second iteration, or when they’re thinking of upgrading their Mac/PC setup.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2010, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
This.

Do people need a big iPhone?
Do people need a screen-only device?

For Apple to get into this arena, they have to offer something substantially different.
Did people need an iPhone before they realized they wanted one?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2010, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug View Post
Yes, no question. I had been waiting for one for years.

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2010, 03:57 PM

In hindsight, of course. That's what everyone thinks nowadays anyways.

-t

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2010, 04:11 PM

Yes. One of the biggest sticking points I had with the telcos for years was their lack of innovation.

And I was right.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2010, 04:11 PM

Yes, no question. I had been waiting for one for years.
I’ve actually been wanting a great way to read PDFs away from a desk and without printing them, for years. I hate trying to accomplish it on my laptop. I thought I wanted an e-reader, but The Tablet is looking so much better.

Of course, Apple isn’t aiming for that niche of people with huge, frequently-accessed PDF libraries. But I think a lot of people will start valuing other digital replacements for print media soon.

Anyway, I agree that the idea isn’t as obvious as smashing the chocolate of an iPod into the peanut butter of a cameraphone (oh wait, what’s the Internet communicator in that metaphor), but I think The Tablet will make a surprising people jump up and say “Yes!”

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 26, 2010, 04:13 PM

It'll be like a useful Kindle. Also, crippling expensive in comparison.

freudling
Banned
Jan 26, 2010, 04:57 PM

This may only initially be available in the US, and maybe limited to US citizens. That leaves out citizens of Maple Syrup land. Anyone here from the Seattle area? Want to meet me at the Apple Store to help me buy this? PM me... if, this is the case as we will see tomorrow.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2010, 05:05 PM

It'll be like a useful Kindle. Also, crippling expensive in comparison.
Let's see, I can carry around 30 lbs of books each day, or I can carry my Kindle. That's a tough one, can't see any uses there.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 26, 2010, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Let's see, I can carry around 30 lbs of books each day, or I can carry my Kindle. That's a tough one, can't see any uses there.
Yeah, that sounds like what the average Kindle owner was probably doing beforehand...

Forum Links
Forum Rules