Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > The maximum RAM allowed for G3 Ruby iMac 400?

The maximum RAM allowed for G3 Ruby iMac 400?
RayLuczak
May 8, 2003, 01:02 PM

Hello:

This is for a friend who just won an iMac on eBay. He's never had a Mac before, and his needs are quite simple (email, Internet and word processing). While it does come with OS 9, I'd much rather start him right in OS X (and leave OS 9 far behind).

His "new" iMac has 128 MB of RAM, and we all know that ain't enough to run OS X well enough. I'd like to boost his RAM on the day it arrives at his house.

I've searched online (Apple needs to be a lot more clearer about which iMac has which colors, and which model has how much minimum RAM preinstalled), and so I *cannot* find ANY conclusive evidence of how much RAM his Ruby iMac 400 (two FireWire ports) can take.

Would his iMac be fine if I installed a 512 MB of RAM in one slot (and the other being either 64 or 128 MB), even if it may have a built-in limit of, say, 320 MB of RAM?

I want to tell him what to get, so that his first Mac experience can be more positive than his old and cranky PeeCee.

Thanks, all!

Raymond
Raymond Luczak
BOOKS * FILMS * PLAYS
<a href="http://www.raymondluczak.com" target="_blank">http://www.raymondluczak.com</a>

bradoesch
Professional Poster
May 8, 2003, 03:30 PM

It'll hold 1 GB (1024 MB.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules