Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > a couple of questions.........

a couple of questions.........
gee308
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 19, 2001, 11:45 AM

How can I make it so when os X starts, it will start up to a prompt? I know I can type ">console" as the login name, but that isn't automatic. I also tried to set the "auto login as:" option in system preferences, but it won't let me use ">console" for a name. Is there a fast way I can see what files just changed on my system? I was going to write a script that jsut compares the date of each file to a certain date and retrun that list to me, but I think there should be a better waying than doing "ls -l" and comparing that to a date.

Also, what site do you guys conside the best place for OS X and unix, I don't mean GPL stuff, or the darwin kernel, I mean stuff about unix(BSD) and OS X, how to make OS X more unixy and stuff like that? Is there such a site? I was planning to create one if there isn't really one.

Do you guys have any tips to make OS X more "unixy"? I alread start OS X with verbose mode.
Thanks in advance.

tinrib
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2001, 12:09 PM

What would you want to do that for? Presumably you could instead of booting with verbose mode "-v" you could boot into single-user mode by default "-s"

but it would be pointless. As for the other thing - do a 'man diff' and find out about the diff tool which is very useful for comparing files.

You know you *could* install Linux on your machine if you want to get into that side of things - forget about OSX. But what you have there IS a unixy machine, even though it has a sugar coated outer layer. Give yourself a 'techie' D.P., run lots of terminal windows and you will get that geeky feeling.

If you really want to have some fun, open one terminal window and type 'ls -R /'
this will immediately give you a geeky rush. Open up another and type 'more /bin/*' - then study the screen and from time to time press the space bar. Give it lots of umming and arring like you are looking for something. This is very good if you have a powerbook and you are trying to impress people on trains.

gee308  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 19, 2001, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by tinrib:
<STRONG>What would you want to do that for? Presumably you could instead of booting with verbose mode "-v" you could boot into single-user mode by default "-s"

but it would be pointless. As for the other thing - do a 'man diff' and find out about the diff tool which is very useful for comparing files.

You know you *could* install Linux on your machine if you want to get into that side of things - forget about OSX. But what you have there IS a unixy machine, even though it has a sugar coated outer layer. Give yourself a 'techie' D.P., run lots of terminal windows and you will get that geeky feeling.

If you really want to have some fun, open one terminal window and type 'ls -R /'
this will immediately give you a geeky rush. Open up another and type 'more /bin/*' - then study the screen and from time to time press the space bar. Give it lots of umming and arring like you are looking for something. This is very good if you have a powerbook and you are trying to impress people on trains.</STRONG>
I wasn't trying to impress people, just some of OS X has some "non-unixy" stuff which is ok, but some things I would rather do the unix way. Besides, I would think programming is probably a bigger geek rush that typing "ls". I would never install linux on my powerbook, besides it isn't even unix. Maybe OpenBSD, but no way would I install NetBSD and FreeBSD doesn't even have a ppc port I think. As for doing "ls -R /" that wasn't what I meant by making things a bit more "unixy". I meant stuff like recompiling some of the old bin tools with some of the new 4.x FreeBSD stuff, or maybe getting gcc 3.x to compile properly, maybe even with a cross compiler so I can continue writing code for x86. I don't really find "ls -R /" amusing. What is a "techie D.P."?
Why would I want to boot into single user mode, or is that what doing "&gt;console" does? I thought "&gt;console" just started in terminal mode like my other Free/OpenBSD machines do at home. I usually work from the terminal like browsing with lynx, cvsuping, gcc,vi(sorry, no emacs),mail(no pine please), thats why I wanted to start from the terminal automatically in OS X and boot into the GUI when I need to use a standard browser or read a word file.

Jelle Monkmater
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: World capital of drugs and prostitution. Hmmm... SEXTC...
Dec 19, 2001, 01:49 PM

tinrib, you're cruel, but funny.

gee308, try messing with the /etc/rc, /etc/rc.boot and/or /etc/rc.common files -- they're read at boot time and changing them will change the way X starts up. But before you do, know how to start up in single user mode -- you might need it.

Checking the last files changed: <font face = "courier">ls -latrR</font> (no type, that's an r and an R) will list all files by date, newest ones last. Sherlock is also dead good in finding files that have changed since (enter date).

Good UNIX sites are a dime a dozen. However, for that special OSX / UNIX feel I usually go to macosxhints.com, darwininfo.org, or even stepwise.com. For pure UNIX there's only one site I find worth visiting: http://www.terrorzone.kiev.ua/orelly...unix/index.htm

And a Techie D.P. would be a picture of Radiohead, the Linux kernel, the world at night (NASA has some nice ones) or the current Astronomy Picture of Today (http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html) on your desktop.

Oh, and I find that <font face = "courier">find / -name "*" -exec cat {} \;</font> is pretty impressive too.
The one you love and the one who loves you are never the same person.

boots
Professional Poster
Dec 19, 2001, 02:47 PM

If you like the unix side of OS X, don't like the Apple side of OS X (i.e. candy coating), and don't want linux (which IS a unix variant, btw) you can just install darwin. Go to Gnu-Darwin and download the installer CD (or, better yet, buy it from them to help support the project). It runs the core of OS X without the apple gui stuff getting all over your machine. Since it is pretty much the SAME DARWIN APPLE USES (you can also get the darwin source from apple's website, it just doesn't have all the cool apps that the Gnu Darwin disc has) it runs just fine on the Apple G4 architecture.

Or, explore the unixy side by checking out all ported packages at Gnu-Darwin. I just started playing with the ports, and I'm hooked! PyMol rules!

As for recompiling the bin tools, Gnu has done a number of them, but I agree a gcc3 would be nice. There a re a few reports of it being compiled on Darwin, but I haven't been able to track it down. It is rumored to be the standard in OS X.2, but that will not be released until next year 2Q (I think).

Anyone have/ know where to get instructions for compiling gcc 3.x in OS X? A quick internet search shows that people are using it...and the source is available from gnu. I just need someone to hold my hand while I try to compile / install it.

If Heaven has a dress code, I'm walkin to Hell in my Tony Lamas.

tinrib
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2001, 07:20 PM

Originally posted by gee308:
<STRONG>

I wasn't trying to impress people, just some of OS X has some "non-unixy" stuff which is ok, but some things I would rather do the unix way. Besides, I would think programming is probably a bigger geek rush that typing "ls". I would never install linux on my powerbook, besides it isn't even unix. Maybe OpenBSD, but no way would I install NetBSD and FreeBSD doesn't even have a ppc port I think. As for doing "ls -R /" that wasn't what I meant by making things a bit more "unixy". I meant stuff like recompiling some of the old bin tools with some of the new 4.x FreeBSD stuff, or maybe getting gcc 3.x to compile properly, maybe even with a cross compiler so I can continue writing code for x86. I don't really find "ls -R /" amusing. What is a "techie D.P."?
Why would I want to boot into single user mode, or is that what doing "&gt;console" does? I thought "&gt;console" just started in terminal mode like my other Free/OpenBSD machines do at home. I usually work from the terminal like browsing with lynx, cvsuping, gcc,vi(sorry, no emacs),mail(no pine please), thats why I wanted to start from the terminal automatically in OS X and boot into the GUI when I need to use a standard browser or read a word file.</STRONG>
hey man take a joke The &gt;console login is fairly useless for normal use as you can only have one shell open. If you like browsing the web from the terminal with lynx, then compile links - you'll like that even more. I have to be on a plane in a couple of hours, or I'd write more. Good luck!

shellsuit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 2001, 10:22 PM

Originally posted by gee308:
<STRONG>How can I make it so when os X starts, it will start up to a prompt?</STRONG>
You need to edit /etc/ttys - uncomment the following line:

console "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600" vt100 on secure

and comment out the line below (console "/System/Library/CoreServices....)
DJ(n): semi-skilled machine operator

shellsuit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 2001, 10:26 PM

fuggin duplicate..damnit

[ 12-19-2001: Message edited by: shellsuit ]
DJ(n): semi-skilled machine operator

gee308  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 19, 2001, 11:44 PM

Originally posted by shellsuit:
<STRONG>

You need to edit /etc/ttys - uncomment the following line:

console "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600" vt100 on secure

and comment out the line below (console "/System/Library/CoreServices....)</STRONG>

Thanks

dogzilla
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 20, 2001, 07:42 AM

I don't get this. Just use the terminal. If you don't want any of the interface stuff, then install Darwin insteda of OSX. Why would you install several hundred megabytes worth of GUI if you're just going to use a command line?

gee308  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 20, 2001, 09:37 AM

Originally posted by dogzilla:
<STRONG>I don't get this. Just use the terminal. If you don't want any of the interface stuff, then install Darwin insteda of OSX. Why would you install several hundred megabytes worth of GUI if you're just going to use a command line?</STRONG>
Hey Dogzilla, I'm in Boston too. I like the GUI and terminal, jsut wanted to add some more unix stuff to the system. I just want the sysytem to start in terminal mode and if I need to, I can start the GUI from there when I exit, thats all.

Forum Links
Forum Rules