Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > AppleCare Contact Question (PowerBook)

AppleCare Contact Question (PowerBook)
riboflavin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2004, 12:57 PM

Hello all.

I purchased AppleCare for my PowerBook 15" AL in the U.S. It states that it provides global coverage. I am currently studying in the U.K., and have started to notice the appearance of the dreaded "white spots".

In regards to contacting Apple, am I supposed to contact their U.S. 1-800 number, or am I supposed to contact their U.K. number? Does anyone have a suggestion.

Thanks!

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2004, 01:05 PM

Probably the UK number
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

bamchum
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2004, 02:02 PM

Definitely the UK number.

AppleCare in the US won't even deal with your case if you're not in the country.

By the way: if you can wait until you're back in the US, you should consider doing so. I've had terrible experiences with repairs from the AppleCare service center in Holland (where they send powerbooks). My machine went off 4 times and each time they added some new problem.

I eventually had the machine replaced with a new one in the US.

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2004, 01:03 PM

Contact the UK dealer. I bought mine in the US and am in Italy. Had the screen replaced for same reason, now it's back up there cause the screen trim was warped and they scratch the aluminum. Both the Texas and Holland repair centers have caused damage during repair, it doesn't matter where you send it.

Pros: The screen I got was perfect and the turnaround was 3 days.

Cons: They did aethestic damage and shoddy work.

Hopes: It'll come back perfect this time.

Advice: Take 360 degree photos before you send it.
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

bamchum
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2004, 01:25 PM

Originally posted by Crusoe:
Contact the UK dealer. I bought mine in the US and am in Italy. Had the screen replaced for same reason, now it's back up there cause the screen trim was warped and they scratch the aluminum. Both the Texas and Holland repair centers have caused damage during repair, it doesn't matter where you send it.

Pros: The screen I got was perfect and the turnaround was 3 days.

Cons: They did aethestic damage and shoddy work.

Hopes: It'll come back perfect this time.

Advice: Take 360 degree photos before you send it.
That is excellent advice. I wish I had done that. Seems every time my machine came back from apple it would have either warped trim around the screen or a gap in the case or a squeak in the keyboard that wasn't there before.

Here's some more advice: before you send your machine in, ask yourself if you couldn't just live with whatever the problem is. Because AppleCare repairs, alas, are kind of a crapshoot these days.

Forum Links
Forum Rules