Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Upgrading to new 15" from Ti Question

Upgrading to new 15" from Ti Question
CyberGeorge
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2004, 11:39 PM

Ok, so I decided I'm not going to wait for the damn G5 and I'm going to get a 15" now. I hope I don't get screwed. My question is this: Is it ok if I use CCC to create an image of my drive and then restore this image on the new 15"? I hate to reinstall everything and get all the settings right again. Does the Panther installer install anything special on the new 15", like lighted keyboard controls or anything? My Ti is the 866.

Thanks!

bamchum
Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2004, 05:52 PM

That won't work since the version of the system that's installed on the Ti probably won't start the Aluminum.

If the tool you're using allows it, you should just back up your home folder and applications and restore those to the new PB. You'll also want to copy select files from /Library.

The one thing that sucks more than anything about OS X (and there's not much that sucks at all) is that it is a real bear to migrate to another machine. Or it can be if you don't take proper precautions. It took me hours to do when I went from Ti to Aluminum.

pete
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2004, 06:57 PM

as long as you;re running panther, just backup your system with retrospect and then restore it on your new machine. Took me about two hours to recreate my machine when I got the new one. One click and two hours of copying.

CyberGeorge  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2004, 01:26 AM

Originally posted by bamchum:
That won't work since the version of the system that's installed on the Ti probably won't start the Aluminum.

If the tool you're using allows it, you should just back up your home folder and applications and restore those to the new PB. You'll also want to copy select files from /Library.

The one thing that sucks more than anything about OS X (and there's not much that sucks at all) is that it is a real bear to migrate to another machine. Or it can be if you don't take proper precautions. It took me hours to do when I went from Ti to Aluminum.
Oh, I know it will boot the Alum for sure. I've booted a PowerMac G4, a PowerBook G3 a new iBook and an Alum with it. It's not a different version of X that gets installed, it's the same version with the same release number. The question is if it'll have all the preference panes, extensions etc. that it needs for the Alum, especially with the keyboard. I'll try to boot it from an external drive to test it out when I get it as suggested by tookie on a different thread. I'll post back next week.

My problem is that I just finished re-installing my system, apps and prefs from scratch recently on my Ti and I don't feel like doing it all over again on the Alum. I know what do get and where it is, but I don't feel like getting moving keychains, getting rid of old preferences, moving over the ones I need, then Library files (from both libraries), fonts, etc. It's a nightmare. I'd rather avoid it.

As for the back up and restore of the home folder, I'd rather restore the whole drive and then do an archive and install option on Panther. Much easier, but I don't want to do that either if I don't have to. Anyway, we'll see when I get it I guess.

Thanks for the reply, though.

pete
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2004, 08:53 AM

can't you just backup the whole drive and then restore it on the new computer. That's what I did and everything is flawless...

CyberGeorge  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2004, 09:10 AM

Originally posted by pete:
can't you just backup the whole drive and then restore it on the new computer. That's what I did and everything is flawless...
Yeah, that's what I'm going to do exactly. Actually, here's the plan:

Backup on external drive (because I'm selling the Ti before the Al comes in). I use CCC instead of Retrospect. Bad experience, don't ask. CCC works well.

Before the restore, I will reboot from the external drive when I get the Al, cuase I have nothing to lose. If all works well, I'll do a restore to the Al.

If there's some kind of problem, I'll do an archive and install on the restored image.

If there's still some kind of problem, then I'll do a clean install and manually transfer stuff over.

I'm pretty sure it'll work. Since you did it already, one question:
The panels in Preferences for the lighted keyboard and the auto display dim, do they show up, even though I assume they didn't on your Ti?

Forum Links
Forum Rules