Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New Pb's Up To 1.5 Ghz!

New Pb's Up To 1.5 Ghz! (Page 2)
Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 19, 2004, 01:04 PM

The new line of iBooks shouldn't be performance dogs like the last iBook G4s were. While the clock speed bump isn't anything extreme, the cache difference certainly is. Twice as much cache at full processor speed should make a substantial difference.

This is one of the few times that Apple has actually exceeded my expectations. We all kinda knew that the clock speed bump at the high end was going to be nothing more than mildy attention grabbing, but I don't think anybody saw 1.33GHz 12" PowerBooks with Airport Extreme included.

If I were in line for a PowerBook, I wouldn't bother waiting for the G5 PowerBook. Nobody knows when they will come, and today's lineup provides some great performance for the dollar, especially at the low end.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

scottiB
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2004, 01:05 PM

Originally posted by MrCaN:
Just orderd my 15" Powerbook, this will be my first apple computer, and can't wait.
Congratulations!

Fozz_uk
Forum Regular
Apr 19, 2004, 01:14 PM

Anyone know how many RPM the new PowerBook's hard drives spin at?
Yadda, yadda, yadda...

MacBook | 2GHz C2D | 1GB | 120GB | 10.5.1 |

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 19, 2004, 01:18 PM

Originally posted by Fozz_uk:
Anyone know how many RPM the new PowerBook's hard drives spin at?
Looks like 4200 RPM across the line.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Apr 19, 2004, 01:22 PM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
There is a 5400 rpm option.

Spliff
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2004, 01:26 PM

Originally posted by WizOSX:
But only on the top two models. The base 15" doesn't appear to be upgradable.
F*ck Apple! They always pull that kind of sh*t. Just give us the upgradeable video card on both 15" models. God damn them to hell!

Other than that, though, the upgrades are nice.
( Last edited by Spliff; Apr 19, 2004 at 01:36 PM. )

iboy
Apr 19, 2004, 01:27 PM

what's about the processors, are in the iBooks the same as in the PB's?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Apr 19, 2004, 01:32 PM

Originally posted by iboy:
Probably not.

The PB's definitely use the 7447A, and I suspect the iBooks use the 7447. Performance is the same, but the 7447A is a lower power version. Mind you, overall power usage might be similar I dunno, because the PB's chips are higher clocked.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 19, 2004, 01:33 PM

Originally posted by iboy:
Nevermind. Eug beat me.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2004, 01:39 PM

Are these new graphics chips soldered on the board or upgradable modules like Dell and Alienware are offering? We'll have to wait and see. I hope Apple offers these type of upgrades.

MrCaN
Forum Regular
Apr 19, 2004, 01:55 PM

I upgraded my VRAM to 128 and the HD RPM to 5400, for 50 each, its worth it in the long run.
Mr. CaN

Mel Dada
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 19, 2004, 01:56 PM

the 80gig hardrive travels at 5400rpm.add $125 to the order for this hardrive upgrade.

any opinions if final cut/pro tools operate more efficiently with this new powerbook iteration? i will most likely return my recently purchased pwerbook 12"which i bought 4 days ago, for the new one with superdrive.I get full credit. apple is a very good company in my pov and they make a helluva computer.
peace
mel

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2004, 02:11 PM

This Sucks!!!!!

I so want one of these so bad! A very nice upgrade. I have enough money in my bank account to get one but I am going to college in September so there is no point in getting this revision. Hopefully we will see powerbook G5s in October/November so i can get one.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

bcaslis
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 19, 2004, 02:17 PM

Actually they have cut the price. The 5400 rpm drive is only a $50 option, the expanded VRAM another $50 option. So now you can get both for less than the previous cost of the 5400 option.

Originally posted by Mel Dada:
the 80gig hardrive travels at 5400rpm.add $125 to the order for this hardrive upgrade.

any opinions if final cut/pro tools operate more efficiently with this new powerbook iteration? i will most likely return my recently purchased pwerbook 12"which i bought 4 days ago, for the new one with superdrive.I get full credit. apple is a very good company in my pov and they make a helluva computer.
peace
mel

iomatic
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2004, 02:31 PM

What DO you kids do, anyway? 3D rendering for LucasFilm? This response sucks. I'm an Art Director getting a 12", and it's just-fine-thank-you-very-much. If you need it now get it today. Buy for your needs, not for some technolust.

Kids, I tell ya.

Originally posted by TheMosco:
This Sucks!!!!!

I so want one of these so bad! A very nice upgrade. I have enough money in my bank account to get one but I am going to college in September so there is no point in getting this revision. Hopefully we will see powerbook G5s in October/November so i can get one.

mrwalker
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 19, 2004, 02:32 PM

Originally posted by bcaslis:
Actually they have cut the price. The 5400 rpm drive is only a $50 option, the expanded VRAM another $50 option. So now you can get both for less than the previous cost of the 5400 option.
For some reason, the 5400 rpm HD upgrade on a 15" machine is �25, while on the 17" it's �80.01. In the US, both are the same price

I just ordered a 15" with both, with an ADC discount, which came out at �1451. Not bad considering the 17" it's replacing cost me around �2500

-mrwalker

MrCaN
Forum Regular
Apr 19, 2004, 02:41 PM

The shipment date for my 15" is on or before 4-26, I'm hoping before.
Mr. CaN

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2004, 02:43 PM

Man, I ordered a 12in like a weekago, and the order has been kindly upgraded. My hope is that I get a $100 refund because Airport is no longer an add-on option.

I only wish they would hurry up... I've been without a Mac for a week (my tower broke) and I'm getting really jittery.... I am feeling bad for one of my roomies though, he just got his 1.25ghz 15in in the Mail last week Monday....

Hey, if you're angry about not being able to upgrade the VRAM on the first 15in, just order the 1.5 ghz 15in, and downgrade some stuff. Its a better buy anyhow.

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 19, 2004, 02:58 PM

since the DVD-R is up to 4x, I wonder if that means the -RW is up to 2x.

Mel Dada
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 19, 2004, 03:01 PM

Originally posted by iomatic:
What DO you kids do, anyway? 3D rendering for LucasFilm? This response sucks. I'm an Art Director getting a 12", and it's just-fine-thank-you-very-much. If you need it now get it today. Buy for your needs, not for some technolust.

Kids, I tell ya.
wait a bit. i can understand the techno lust getting way out of proportion. but being on the cusp of an upgrade cycle is significant, especially given the option for a free exchange also i find the specifics covered in this discussion worthy of understanding the technology.

"I know people who should know better standing around like furniture"
mel

s0litude
Forum Regular
Apr 19, 2004, 03:37 PM

i used to laugh when people would go crazy when updates came out, especially if they had just bought a new apple computer. Now i understand why. I bought my powerbook last september, and boy do i love it. However, just looking at the new powerbooks and the upgradeable 128MB option, i must admit, is attractive. oddly enough, i do feel a teensey weensey bit sad that my system isn't number one anymore. I've always heard don't worry, your computer will only be the best for a couple months, until they come out with a new update. Never really paid attention to it. Now, i am living the lesson. Ah, the melodrama of being a Mac user...
Hi!

stotan
Apr 19, 2004, 03:46 PM

the 12" powerbook specs says it has 50watt hour battery, up from 47
does this mean its going to have longer battery life? anyone know if it will be significant?

K107
Apr 19, 2004, 04:36 PM

A lot of you say that you can get a edu discount or a student discount. Is that thur the web or what. I want to buy one to and want to see How you get a school discount

bamchum
Forum Regular
Apr 19, 2004, 04:39 PM

Originally posted by s0litude:
i used to laugh when people would go crazy when updates came out, especially if they had just bought a new apple computer. Now i understand why. I bought my powerbook last september, and boy do i love it. However, just looking at the new powerbooks and the upgradeable 128MB option, i must admit, is attractive. oddly enough, i do feel a teensey weensey bit sad that my system isn't number one anymore. I've always heard don't worry, your computer will only be the best for a couple months, until they come out with a new update. Never really paid attention to it. Now, i am living the lesson. Ah, the melodrama of being a Mac user...
Ah, c'mon. I upgraded from a 1Ghz TiBook to a 1.25Ghz AlBook in September. I like the AlBook better over all, mostly because it makes less noise. But the speed boost was basically undetectable other than in Xbench. And this was on a machine with a faster processor, faster bus, faster RAM, faster graphics card, etc.

Other than the 4x superdrive, the new 15" PBs will be virtually indistinguishable from the previous generation for any but the most demanding graphic artists, 3D designers, etc.

wtmcgee
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 19, 2004, 05:16 PM

nice to see the updates ..... finally.

everyone can thank me for them, by the way. i finally took the plunge last week and bought a rev b 12" pBook off of ebay last week, hence making it certain new ones would be relesed

it's not enough to make me want to trade in for a new one though - doubling the video RAM is nice ... but i got mine for a song. too bad i didn't wait another week, i could have gotten it for even cheaper.

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2004, 05:45 PM

Originally posted by iomatic:

Kids, I tell ya.
I know... I Know... Its not like I am going to be doing anything that needs a super fast machine, but this laptop has to last me at least 2 years so I don't want to get something thats already outdated 2 months into school. 2500 is not exactly a drop in the bucket to a college student so I want to make the right choice.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2004, 06:31 PM

Originally posted by s0litude:
I've got a Rev A 17 inch since it came out and there's still not enough incentive to move on. I'll be shooting and editing in HD in the next year and would like to be mobile but don't think the current generation of Powerbooks are powerful enough. G5 is what I really need before shelling out on Final Cut HD, etc. And faster hard discs!

LudwigVan123
Apr 19, 2004, 07:35 PM

Originally posted by K107:
A lot of you say that you can get a edu discount or a student discount. Is that thur the web or what. I want to buy one to and want to see How you get a school discount
Apple Store for Education

To be eligible, you must be either a teacher in K-12 or a student or faculty member at a university. In other words, high school kids don't qualify.

hldan
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2004, 08:17 PM

The upgrades to all the notebooks are fantastic. I think most people here aren't looking at this the right way. Apple isn't just trying to woo current Mac Users to upgrade, they are trying to make new Mac Users.
Apple has to be competitive with the PC world. PC's increase features and speed at a faster pace than anything else and Apple has to move on and make the Macs "appear" to be as worthwhile in features as a common PC. We all know the Macs are better overall but specs are what counts to the average consumer.
I have the 17" Rev B and I am not affected personally about the speed bumps. I think it's great that Apple has made the iBooks and the 12"PB much more competitive and highly usuable for OSX.
IMHO Apple had to make these subtle but worthy updates to keep people from waiting for a G5 notebook.
The iMac was the only one that has not been updated with larger cache and graphics so that may be Apple's 20th anniversary G5 hopefully.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

KraziKid
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 19, 2004, 08:33 PM

Not enough of an improvement to even make me consider moving from my Rev. B 1.33 17 Inch Powerbook. The only thing I am actually jealous about is the 4x Burner, but I can easily get an external one if it was truly needed. I personally am waiting fora Rev. B G5 Powerbook before I even consider an upgrade.
15 inch MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 7200 RPM 100GB HDD.

Dual 2.5 GHz Power Mac G5, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, ATI Radeon X800XT.

K107
Apr 19, 2004, 08:41 PM

Originally posted by LudwigVan123:
Apple Store for Education

To be eligible, you must be either a teacher in K-12 or a student or faculty member at a university. In other words, high school kids don't qualify.
How do they vertify that you are a student. I'm not going to class right now.

tekno_geek911
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 19, 2004, 08:43 PM

Im only jelous of the 64MB video card in the 12".....I just bought mine a few days ago(used)

I just hope my new PB isnt outdated already!
::12" PowerBook G4 | 1.33GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | APX | OS X 10.4.1::
::30GB iPod Photo::

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2004, 08:47 PM

Originally posted by Simon:
Your Dell does 1600x1200 with Windows which offers more GUI scalability than OS X. Running Panther on a 132dpi resolution would kill most people's eyes because we can't adjust fonts and GUI widgets on the fly! (the 107dpi of the 12" iBook is the reason Apple offers a 14" iBook with the same number of pixels, but with a reduced 91dpi)
I'm currently awaiting delivery on a Dell Latitude D800 - with a 15.4" screen at 1920x1200! Talk about high DPI.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2004, 09:09 PM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
I'm currently awaiting delivery on a Dell Latitude D800 - with a 15.4" screen at 1920x1200! Talk about high DPI.
Better stop at the drugstore for some reading glasses.

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2004, 09:23 PM

So can the VRAM be upgraded after purchase or is this another bto-or-forget-it option like the BT on the iMac?

nayr x
Forum Regular
Apr 19, 2004, 09:30 PM

As far as riding the pinnacle of the apple tech cycles, I suppose one could look at it this way:

Even if you shelled out for a new book earlier this month, and no longer have the best possible machine, at least you have a kick ass apple system, that will last you (if you aren't impatient) for the next several years. My computer is almost 4 years old now, (PBG4 500) and I use it every day, and it rarely disappoints. I would like to have some of the sweet new technologies that have emerged since I bought this book (and there are a lot of them) but I can get over the things I don't have and enjoy that which I do. My 500mhz PB has completed so many graphics/video intensive projects with not so much as a hicup, that I can't imagine what some of you are doing with your machines that you feel you need to upgrade at every revision. I disagree with the (very bitter sounding) art director who got uppity when some "kid" wanted a top of the line system. Buy a system that is top of the line @ the time, and I promise you, if you are truly concerned primarily with the functionality of the machine, and all the goodies you have, not just all the goodies you're missing... by the time you and your laptop finally part ways, you'll most likely want it dipped in bronze and mounted on your wall.

Zen, people! Zen.

(Perpetuating detached, existentialist ennui since 2001)

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2004, 09:36 PM

Originally posted by JHromadka:
So can the VRAM be upgraded after purchase or is this another bto-or-forget-it option like the BT on the iMac?
I'd expect this to be a BTO-or-fuggetaboutit.

Best to never assume anything on a Mac is upgradable after the fact.

iomatic
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2004, 09:47 PM

Well, I didn't mean to sound "uppity", but whatever.

The point is, the student didn't even want to upgrade now, hearing of these updates; and with your suggestion, the top of the line is a G4, so if that suits his needs today, then he should buy. S/he was bitching about not having G5s now, in this update, and so it isn't--well, does it mean you can't be productive without one? Or can you?

By his/her own admission, the student has said that a G5 wasn't necessary--just confusing the issue on a board. I was addressing the issue of not having a G5 PowerBook right now, and I'm quite sick of hearing it.

Reason, nayr x! Reason!

Back OT: I wonder what kind of percentage increases will be had with the increased VRAM for the GeForce 5200 Go.

Better yet:
http://developer.apple.com/documenta...-rev-date.html

Originally posted by nayr x:
As far as riding the pinnacle of the apple tech cycles, I suppose one could look at it this way:

I disagree with the (very bitter sounding) art director who got uppity when some "kid" wanted a top of the line system. Buy a system that is top of the line @ the time, and I promise you, if you are truly concerned primarily with the functionality of the machine, and all the goodies you have, not just all the goodies you're missing... by the time you and your laptop finally part ways, you'll most likely want it dipped in bronze and mounted on your wall.

Zen, people! Zen.
( Last edited by iomatic; Apr 19, 2004 at 09:58 PM. )

Mr. Bob
Forum Regular
Apr 19, 2004, 09:50 PM

I am not sure where this idea comes from that higher resolution is bad. I mean, you can always make things bigger "OSX does have that ability, right???. I just know that I don�t want to spend mucho $$$ to get a fuzzy screen. I have been using 1600x1200 for 2 years now, and it looks just great. Crisp colors, no jaggies, nothing. For someone who does work on graphics, high resolution is better.

I mean Apple computers are very good. I like them alot. I want to get one. But if they cant make a decent screen, then have someone make one for them. And yes, anything that doesn�t add up to the same res as 1280x960 "which 1440x900 goes over" is not worth buying on anything that costs over $2000. And everyone knows it, unless you have some really crappy eyes. Low dot pitch and high resolution is always better then the opposite.

Also, faster hard drive. All the good laptop companies have 7200, except for Apple. Great is some aspects, dragging a$$ in others. But at least they are getting better.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2004, 10:29 PM

All the good laptop companies have 7200
Really? Can you provide a URL to a laptop that comes with one?

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 19, 2004, 10:31 PM

I have yet to see any notebook maker ship a 7200 RPM notebook drive as part of the standard configuration.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2004, 10:34 PM

I just checked Dell. They don't even spec the speed of their hard drives on the Inspiron 9100. But if you want to put an 80GB 7200 hard drive in as an option, it's an extra $150.

Chris

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2004, 10:35 PM

So given the cost, it's easy to see why Apple doesn't include them. Plus, the 5400 drives already saturate the ATA channel, so the faster drive offers no advantage in raw data transfer, only in reduced latency, and at a higher cost in terms of power/heat.

Chris

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2004, 11:00 PM

I have yet to see any notebook maker ship a 7200 RPM notebook drive as part of the standard configuration.
Alienware. If you can handle how ugly and heavy they are.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 19, 2004, 11:07 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
Alienware.
I said notebook, not luggable.

*Snicker*
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2004, 11:13 PM

Alienware has a light system with a 7200RPM drive:

http://www.alienware.com/Configurato...de=SKU-EXTREME

It uses the 60GB Hitachi with 8MB cache and weighs 4.9lbs. Odd this model doesn't have good graphics.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2004, 11:16 PM

Originally posted by chabig:
I just checked Dell. They don't even spec the speed of their hard drives on the Inspiron 9100. But if you want to put an 80GB 7200 hard drive in as an option, it's an extra $150.

Chris
That's a 60GB 7200RPM drive. 80GBs at that speed aren't available yet, AFAIK.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Apr 19, 2004, 11:18 PM

Originally posted by RooneyX:
Alienware has a light system with a 7200RPM drive:

http://www.alienware.com/Configurato...de=SKU-EXTREME

It uses the 60GB Hitachi with 8MB cache and weighs 4.9lbs. Odd this model doesn't have good graphics.
Actually, that 4.9 lbs is without the battery. And yeah, Intel Extreme Graphics. Etc.

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2004, 11:29 PM

I just went to the Dell site to configure a laptop with similar specs to the Alu15. I speeced it at:

1.5Ghz Pentium-M
512MBs DDR
80GB HD
DVD+RW
Radeon Mobility 9600 Pro 128MB
15.4" screen
54Mmbps Wireless
XP Pro
Some basic apps that try to rival iLife

Total price was $2199.

For $300 more the Alu15 offers the following far better points:

-Firewire 400, 800
-Backlit keyboard
-Gigabit Ethernet
-Radeon 9700 Mobility
-Better, more durable design
-Lighter and slimmer
-Hardware and software integration
-iLife suite

So Powerbooks are getting much better value as the performance improves and prices drop.

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 20, 2004, 12:02 AM

If the G5 matches up that well in terms of price and features, then and only then will I be really impressed. Apple is throwing us a bone, hoping these models will keep us happy until they can get a G5 out the door.

Originally posted by RooneyX:
I just went to the Dell site to configure a laptop with similar specs to the Alu15. I speeced it at:

1.5Ghz Pentium-M
512MBs DDR
80GB HD
DVD+RW
Radeon Mobility 9600 Pro 128MB
15.4" screen
54Mmbps Wireless
XP Pro
Some basic apps that try to rival iLife

Total price was $2199.

For $300 more the Alu15 offers the following far better points:

-Firewire 400, 800
-Backlit keyboard
-Gigabit Ethernet
-Radeon 9700 Mobility
-Better, more durable design
-Lighter and slimmer
-Hardware and software integration
-iLife suite

So Powerbooks are getting much better value as the performance improves and prices drop.

Forum Links
Forum Rules