Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PB noise & performance options

PB noise & performance options
Jaeger
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2004, 03:12 PM

Hi,

I have a 15" aluminum PowerBook, and whenever I set the performance to "Highest" while connect to the power adapter, it makes a hissing/hard-disky noise that seems to come from beneath the keyboard. Setting the performance to "Automatic" or disconnecting the power will cause it to immediately cease.

An Apple service depot had no ideas why this would occur or how/if it could be fixed. Any insight would be much appreciated

PS: Does using "automatic" incur any speed penalty when plugged in?

Thanks!

f1000
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2004, 01:26 AM

When its performance is set to highest, your PowerBook will use more power and generate more heat.

Without hearing the sound for myself, I can only guess that it is coming from the cooling fan cycling on/off or from some sort of oscillation in your power supply (unlikely).

ul1984
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2004, 01:53 AM

Originally posted by Jaeger:
Hi,

I have a 15" aluminum PowerBook, and whenever I set the performance to "Highest" while connect to the power adapter, it makes a hissing/hard-disky noise that seems to come from beneath the keyboard. Setting the performance to "Automatic" or disconnecting the power will cause it to immediately cease.

An Apple service depot had no ideas why this would occur or how/if it could be fixed. Any insight would be much appreciated

Thanks!
i have the exact same noise, and i hate it!

its def. not any harddisk or fan. the CPU has a feature called Nap, which will turn off parts of the CPU when its idling to conserve power.
ive tried turning off Nap, the noise goes away, but then the fan will start in a few minutes, cus running the cpu without nap would be equal to running it at 100% cpu usage, since the power usage wont go down any on idle cycles.

if the cpu's power usage goes up and down many many times per second, wouldnt that cause some kind of frequency that could cause this noise, that maybe could be picked up by the speakers? at least thats my theory.

another thing you should try, try transferring big files over ethernet at high speeds, it will cause another noise, which i think is caused in a similiar way.

i think since these noises only happen when the computer is running on power adapter (the PSU?), i think its the part of the powerbook where the power adapter cable plugs in, that causes these noises. when the ethernet chip sends packages it should use more power then when its not sending, which would cause a similiar frequency of the power usage going up and down as with the CPU and the nap feature.
and somehow the "PSU" or whatever it should be called in a powerbook makes the speakers create this noise because of these power level changes.

as ive understood the G5s have the very same problem(with NAP causing noise), didnt apple say something about the latest rev of PSU, which would fix these problems? anyone know of this is true?

i wonder if apple has any fix avaiable for the PB as well, this is hella anoying!

ul1984
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2004, 02:00 AM

Originally posted by Jaeger:
yes it does, its very noticable, especially in scrolling, it feels way more sluggish at automatic. i think the problem is that it cant switch between highest and reduced fast enough. so when you scroll for example it stays at reduced.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2004, 07:17 AM

Mine has the same problem, I'm guessing its interference leaking into the audio circuits. From what I read this has been occuring on PB's for a little while so I don't expect it to be corrected anytime soon. Other mfgs have similar problems so its not an apple only issue - of course that doesn't help us.

Mike

bamchum
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2004, 08:19 AM

I have the same problem, too.

Another annoying noise I sometimes have is: when I've got a finder window in columns mode with a preview of a quicktime sound file in the rightmost column, I find it makes an annoying squeak noise not unlike the noise the processor makes when set on "highest."

ul1984
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2004, 10:41 AM

Originally posted by bamchum:
I have the same problem, too.

Another annoying noise I sometimes have is: when I've got a finder window in columns mode with a preview of a quicktime sound file in the rightmost column, I find it makes an annoying squeak noise not unlike the noise the processor makes when set on "highest."
yeah i definitely got that noise as well

still the loudest of them all is the ethernet noise, at least on my machine, and on my iMac 800, i can even hear the ethernet noise trough the harddrive whine. so this is not a PowerBook only thing.

This is might be interesting, on my old iMac CRT, instead of making a noise when transferring files over ethernet, the monitors image gets disturbed instead, very similiar to when you use a cellphone close to a CRT monitor! (this also happens when i when i preview a quicktime file in finder just like the noise you described, so its def. the same thing, just being shown as image disturbings instead of noise)

nate_02
Senior User
Apr 26, 2004, 10:52 AM

I have the same noise but not while it it plugged in or on Highest Performance, it is when I click on a quicktime movie in the finder and the preview pops up right next to it. I put my ear on the speakers thinkin that it would make noise because it is about to play audio, but the speakers are silent. It's strange that it only happens with quicktime.
-nate

naderby
Apr 26, 2004, 12:07 PM

The high performance 'bubbling' noise is normal.

I was told it was the RAM but can't see it myself.

f1000
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2004, 06:16 PM

IMHO, I think what everyone is complaining about is capacitance noise, not speaker noise. Sound is generated by mechanical oscillation, so something inside the computer must be vibrating.

Capacitance buzzing of long traces in a stiff logic board could be the culprit, in which case PowerBooks with bigger logic boards* would probably produce more audible sounds; however, capacitance buzzing can come from discrete components as well.

My relatively petite 12” PB, for example, exhibits very little capacitance noise (although I do hear a little from the screen).

If changing the volume of the built-in speakers doesn’t change the volume of the noise, then I doubt that crosstalk is the problem. I’d need to see a schematic of the speaker circuitry to be sure. Do any of you hear the sound through headphones?

*Think of how a piano's soundboard works.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2004, 07:10 PM

Originally posted by f1000:
IMHO, I think what everyone is complaining about is capacitance noise, not speaker noise. Sound is generated by mechanical oscillation, so something inside the computer must be vibrating.
Well I can't answer from oscilation but my noise is eminating from the speakers. When I turn off NAP within the chud pref pane the sound disappears and when I go on the battery the sound disappears. Now that said it doesn't not appear to me that the sound is being created by a vibration when I can turn it off.

The downside deslecting the nap thingy is my temp skyrockets pretty quickly.

Mike

rag on a muffin
Senior User
Apr 26, 2004, 07:58 PM

sometimes when i scroll through the dock in magnification mode, it makes noise. i think its with any kind of graphics work.
Superhero Of The Computer Rage
MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz, PowerBook G4 12" 1 Ghz (DVI) Dell 24" monitor
Porsche 944, Mercedes 240D (running onWaste Vegetable Oil)

f1000
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2004, 08:05 PM

Originally posted by Maflynn:
Well I can't answer from oscilation but my noise is eminating from the speakers. When I turn off NAP within the chud pref pane the sound disappears and when I go on the battery the sound disappears. Now that said it doesn't not appear to me that the sound is being created by a vibration when I can turn it off.
The grills for your speakers may be acting as ports for sounds coming from elsewhere in the chassis. It'd be hard for you to tell whether the speakers themselves were generating the noise.

When the noise is occurring, can you tell me what happens after you adjust the volume? Plug in headphones?

f1000
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2004, 08:07 PM

Originally posted by rag on a muffin:
sometimes when i scroll through the dock in magnification mode, it makes noise. i think its with any kind of graphics work.
I hear that, too. A sort of faint rasping.

rag on a muffin
Senior User
Apr 26, 2004, 08:17 PM

yep thats it. what do you think it is?
Superhero Of The Computer Rage
MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz, PowerBook G4 12" 1 Ghz (DVI) Dell 24" monitor
Porsche 944, Mercedes 240D (running onWaste Vegetable Oil)

tvbi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2004, 01:13 AM

yeah.. whenever the dock is hide or unhide it make the noise, magnification also makes that noise and minimizing or restore windows make that noise.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2004, 07:11 AM

Same problem here, to me it sounds like RF or electrical noise leaking into the speakers.

Mike

tvbi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2004, 03:38 PM

it's not from the speakers, I hear it from the lower left corner where the hard drive is.

Forum Links
Forum Rules