Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12'' rev c powerbook sound

12'' rev c powerbook sound
treebark7182
Forum Regular
Sep 1, 2004, 07:12 AM

my new powerbook seems to be making this kinda funky sound and i dont know if its normal or not. Its not loud or anything but its this sound comming from the processor area *under left wrist* and it just sounds like its a think and nothing think nothing think nothing but its in a constant rate and the nothing phase is only a second long. Do i have a setting wrong?? or is this just the way it is? i might be being over sensitive, i tend to with new stuff. any help would be great

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2004, 02:29 PM

under left wrist = hdd .. shouldnt be sounding funky .. someone's gonna come in this thread and tell u to download something to make it stop making that noise ... something about the head not being seated right .. or something like that ...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2004, 05:04 PM

is it like a click click?
iamwhor3hay

treebark7182  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 1, 2004, 09:31 PM

yeah its kinda like a click click

rag on a muffin
Senior User
Sep 2, 2004, 05:47 PM

uh oh. id say back up yer data and send it to apple.
Superhero Of The Computer Rage
MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz, PowerBook G4 12" 1 Ghz (DVI) Dell 24" monitor
Porsche 944, Mercedes 240D (running onWaste Vegetable Oil)

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2004, 06:03 PM

isn't that just the harddrive clicking sometimes?
iamwhor3hay

mishap
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2004, 07:01 PM

hmm... your hard drive sounds like it is doing something. that is usually a good thing.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2004, 07:14 PM

worse post possible at this point:

does it sound like good clicking or bad clicking

also .. please note .. keyboard may make clicking noises

hehe .. ok i'm kidding .. get a second opinion, then send it back to apple .. or better yet .. Genius Bar! ... try to go when they dont have a instore presentation ... if the genius bar is right next to the "theatre" when someone is showing off garageband .. they wont hear the noise.

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Orland
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2004, 09:40 AM

I have a similar problem with my 12" rev. c PowerBook. On mine, it's not a constant clicking noise. There are only a few specific circumstances when it makes the noise.

For example, it clicks when I move my mouse over the dock (and stops clicking when I stop moving the mouse). It also clicks when it expands or minimizes an application from the dock.

The more annoying example of the clicking noise is when I view a web page that uses Flash. The odd thing here is that if I scroll down so the Flash object is no longer visible, the clicking stops.

Any thoughts?

Orland
----
12" PowerBook G4 1.33GHz 768MB (rev c)

"Computer science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes"
--E. W. Dijkstra

Xanadu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2004, 08:10 AM

I Have EXACTLY the same problem as you Orland!! I dont know what could be causing it to do it- its bizzare! Does anybody else have this problem, and has anybody managed to fix it?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 24, 2004, 10:01 AM

Hard drives tick when they access data.

Hearing a noise when you scroll over the Dock, open documents, access menus, or launch applications is normal.

What is NOT normal is a constant, regular ticking over a long time period, unless you have content-indexing switched on on your hard drive.

-s*

Orland
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2004, 10:50 AM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
Hard drives tick when they access data.

Hearing a noise when you scroll over the Dock, open documents, access menus, or launch applications is normal.
The noise that I am talking about is clearly distinct from the hard drvie noises. The hard drive noises are shorter and deeper. This clicking noise that I am talking about is higher-pitched, and coincides with things that are happening with the interface.

For example, I will hear this noise when scrolling on a web page, or moving the mouse over the icons in the dock (not clicking them, just moving the mouse over them). I have used MenuMeters to confirm that there is no disk access when these noises are occurring.

I'm still stumped. Maybe I'll have to call Apple about it.

Orland
----
12" PowerBook G4 1.33GHz 768MB (rev c)

"Computer science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes"
--E. W. Dijkstra

treebark7182  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2004, 08:17 PM

orland that is exactly what my problem is. Thanks for verbalizing it better than i could. If you find anything out from apple please post it

8minute
Sep 27, 2004, 09:20 PM

I have a similar noise on my 12" pb sometimes as well. Describing it as a clicking sound is probably not accurate ... sort of a cross between high pitched click and like a zapping (electricity) sound. And yeah, seems to happen when the processor needs to do something.

I hope I made some sense just then ...

| 12"Al.PB:1.33GHz:1.25GB:100GB:SD |

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 27, 2004, 10:55 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules