Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > dual 1ghz mdd graphics card???

dual 1ghz mdd graphics card???
treebark7182
Forum Regular
Dec 12, 2004, 02:53 PM

I have a 64mb ati radeon 9000 pro in my dual g4. It works really nice but with 1.5 gigs of ram i feel like it may be bottlenecked a little by the graphics card. Ive had this computer since it first came out and am still floored at how fast it still is. Any 3 year old pc that ive ever owned becomes almost unusable by this time. I want to get a G5 just out of being a speed freak but i dont feel it really necessary yet esp. if i can get a quick fix by putting in a better card. IS the 9000 pro 128 that much better than a 64??? is there any other alternative??? whats the most bang for the buck????? Thank all
>trev

Weezer
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2004, 02:57 PM

the 128 is not worth an upgrade. The cards for you to look at are the Geforce4 Ti if you need an ADC port or the 9600 Pro modded to work in a G4 if you dont need an ADC port. The geforce is a better card (not by much, and actually the 9600 supports a few more features), and will cost around 200-250. You can get the modded 9600 from OWC for like 110. The Ti has 128 megs of vram whereas the 9600 only has 64. If you wanted to go all out, you could get the 9800 pro (which also lacks an ADC port), for like $350. Your cpu will bottleneck the card whichever one you get, so I would be hesitant to get the 9800. I went with the geforce4 ti and its been a very solid card, and am looking to get a cpu upgrade in the near future.

Imac Core Duo 1.83/1.5 GB/20 inch cinema, ibook G4 1 ghz

deboerjo
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 12, 2004, 06:22 PM

What exactly do you do with it? I mean, if you're just using Photoshop and Word, you're fine the way it is. If you want to play Halo or something, definitly get a Radeon 9600 or higher; something with PS2.0 capability. Ditto if you want to use Motion (requires 9500+) or are concerned with taking full advantage of the upcoming MacOS 10.4

treebark7182  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 12, 2004, 06:49 PM

i use it for the everyday task. I do want to take advantage of the new os (kinda worried about my nvidia 5200 in my powerbook). But mainly i play World of Warcraft and a few other games and want to take full advantage. The game plays a lot better on the ati than the nvidia which makes it just look more dull w/ lower fps but its fine in the cafeteria at my university on wireless. but i want to have a flawless experience on my powermac.

Mac Write
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2004, 06:55 PM

The 9800Pro in Canada is still $600!!!

I want a new video card so I can use Core Image and Video. This should give a very nice performance boost to the OS once Tiger comes out. 64MB hmm I think I will wait for the 9800Pro to drop to under $350 CDN.
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

deboerjo
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 12, 2004, 10:49 PM

Two things about graphics cards and 10.4; for one thing, your NVidia 5200 has all the capabilities Core Image needs, it'll be fine. Based on what Apple's said about it so far, 10.4 is going to need capability more than sheer horsepower, as long as it's got PS 2.0, the card's good, the 5200 probably won't even break a sweat.

Secondly, there's nothing about 10.4 that requires a high-end graphics card. A lot of people think that 10.4 is just going to be terrible if you don't have a big graphics card, but this just isn't the case. If you don't have hefty graphics 10.4 will be just as fast as what you're used to with 10.3, and if you do it'll do some things even faster. 10.4 only gets better, not worse

Forum Links
Forum Rules