Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Tiger/LaCie/Disk Utility problem

Tiger/LaCie/Disk Utility problem
mmurray
Grizzled Veteran
May 7, 2005, 08:36 AM

I have just bought a LaCie Porsche 160GB hard disk. I wanted to partition it into 3 equal partitions.
So I launched Disk Utility under Tiger and all it seemed to offer me in the drop-down menu was MS-DOS partitions. So I erased the HD and made it Mac-OS X journaled as a single volume. Then I tried partition again and still MS-DOS was the only option. So I gave up and tried a mac with 10.3.9 on it and in Disk Utility under partition immediately found an option for partitioning into 3 Mac OS X journaled partitions.

Anyone else had this problem ?

Thanks - Michael

Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
May 7, 2005, 11:57 AM

---
( Last edited by Simon X; Aug 13, 2014 at 08:59 AM. )

mmurray  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 7, 2005, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Simon X
You have to select the drive not the volume, i.e. select the item labelled 160GB LaCie blah blah blah, or something like that, and not the volume which is indented. Then you will see the partition tab.
Thanks Simon but I know that little trap. In both cases I could get the partition tab to appear. When it appears there is a pull-down menu with various formatting options. Under Tiger this only had MS-DOS and Erase Free Space. Under 10.3.9 it had a lot of other options including the one I wanted which was OS X Journaled.

Regards - Michael

Forum Links
Forum Rules