Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone and Yahoo mail

iPhone and Yahoo mail
KraziKid
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 29, 2007, 11:37 PM

So I just setup my iPhone to talk to yahoo mail, and in the inbox there is a link that tells me I have 50 more messages to download from the server.

The only problem is that the folders are empty on the server, and when I click the link it doesn't do anything.

Does anyone know what I need to change?

Also, is there a way to remove the annoying yahoo signature that advertises for them?

EDIT: From playing around, it seems when I am deleting messages, the yahoo server thinks that they still exist for some reason, and reports them, even tho they are not downloadable. Is there a way to fix this?
( Last edited by KraziKid; Jun 29, 2007 at 11:40 PM. Reason: New info)
15 inch MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 7200 RPM 100GB HDD.

Dual 2.5 GHz Power Mac G5, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, ATI Radeon X800XT.

mmurray
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 29, 2007, 11:59 PM

Besides the compaint that it is not in Australia yet reading the user guide and others comments I think a few things that need fixing are:

* handling of iCal Tasks/ToDo's
* syncing of calendars instead of dumping everything into single chosen calendar on the mac
* ability to use it as a bluetooth modem for a Mac or Palm
* week view in Calendar (in landscape)

Michael

mjray
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2007, 08:48 PM

I saw the same message in Yahoo's email acct on my iPhone telling me that I had all these unread emails and got nothing when I clicked on the link. Plus in the settings, I had asked the iPhone to NOT automatically check email and that I would do this "manually." Well, that option works on the other email accounts (AT&T and Gmail), but for some reason Yahoo's iPhone interface is just like seeing it on the web site...and the emails come in to the phone automatically, even if you don't want them to...so it kept dinging at me (very annoying!!).

I tried to re-add my Yahoo email account using the Yahoo set-up option in iPhone, but the same problem existed.

Therefore, since I have Yahoo Plus ($20/yr), which gives me POP3 access, I just added the Yahoo account manually to my iPhone and did NOT use the Yahoo email account set-up option in iPhone's email settings. This fixed both issues...the phantom message about unread emails and iPhone checking email when I didn't want it doing so.

However, if you don't have Yahoo Plus, this probably won't work for you.

MacTheKnife
Jul 2, 2007, 09:18 PM

That's because Apple promised "push" e-mail via Yahoo!, which requires no "getting," while the others are supposed to be manual only. But manual is relative. The minute you click on the Mail icon, iPhone checks for e-mail, so technically, it's never "manual." I'm sure that idiosyncrasy will be fixed in a future update.

Forum Links
Forum Rules