Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > initial iPhone thoughts, suggestions for improvement

initial iPhone thoughts, suggestions for improvement
someone
Forum Regular
Jun 30, 2007, 02:10 AM

Having used it for about 30 minutes now:

1) No IM functionality. This one should have been obvious.

2) The little "Home" button, when pressed, pushes in the bottom of the LCD, making its colors go weird. Is this harmful for the display in the long term?

3) Lack of cut/copy/paste -- and partial text highlighting -- is annoying.

4) Would love more word suggestions when I type an unfamiliar word (or at least a preference for this)

5) Can't use iTunes songs as ringtones

6) no obvious contact information during product registration

7) can anyone get meebo working for IM?
someone who loves Macs

mmurray
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 30, 2007, 03:08 AM

** Decent ToDo functionality for calendar
** Being able to sync events by calendar instead of having to sync all the events on the iPhone to a single calendar on the mac
** Being able to use it as a bluetooth modem.

Michael

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 30, 2007, 03:12 AM

2) The little "Home" button, when pressed, pushes in the bottom of the LCD, making its colors go weird. Is this harmful for the display in the long term?
I'm not seeing this on mine, even putting a firm amount of pressure on the Home button. You might want to stroll back to an Apple store tomorrow and check yours against a demo unit and/or show it to a Genius for possible replacement.
<This space under renovation>

MacTheKnife
Jun 30, 2007, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by Drakino View Post
I'm not seeing this on mine, even putting a firm amount of pressure on the Home button. You might want to stroll back to an Apple store tomorrow and check yours against a demo unit and/or show it to a Genius for possible replacement.
Same here, my home button doesn't make the screen flex at all, it feels like a solid block to me.

MOTHERWELL
Senior User
Jun 30, 2007, 03:22 AM

My Gmail account downloaded a ton of old messages as unread. I have several hundred in my inbox - so I deleted a lot of the junk.

When I opened up the Mail app again all of the messages were back in my inbox!

someone  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 30, 2007, 04:06 AM

Dracino and MacTheKnife, I'm embarrassed to admit that I had neglected to remove the screen cover, thinking that would save a few days' of finger smudge, and that was actually what was rippling and causing the distortion. Sorry about that.

Further thoughts:

** terrible internal speaker distortion

** no way to rearrange weather screens (yet you can rearrange clock screens)

** no profiles (soft, silent, etc.)

** multiple safari, weather, etc. screens (say, >4) should start appearing on a second row

** games?

however, SO MUCH is good about it that I wouldn't even know where to begin....
someone who loves Macs

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2007, 04:17 AM

Heh, I also tried to leave the screen cover on in hopes of keepin it clean as long as possible. But then I tried to call someone, and I couldn't hear a damn thing. But its no biggie, the screen cleans up really well. And seems to hide smudges nicely.

vln2
Jun 30, 2007, 04:25 AM

Removing SIM for those who were wining about it:
Removing the iPhone's SIM card | Crave : The gadget blog
It is so easy caveman could do it.

Personally I do not see the need now after signing my life away for 2 years.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2007, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by mmurray View Post
** Being able to use it as a bluetooth modem.
AT&T would make you pay about $60/mo more if you could do that.

Star-Fire
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 30, 2007, 09:13 AM

Multiple selection or delete for mail. My iPhone just downloaded about 400 emails from gmail and swiping across all of them takes a while, I'm surprised apple missed this one. Other then that awesome!
MacBook Pro 2.5 with 4 GB Ram, 250 GB 5400RPM, iMac 20" Intel Dual Core 2.0 with 2 GB Ram
http://star-fire.deviantart.com/gallery/

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 30, 2007, 09:41 AM

You can't send pictures/files to it over Bluetooth.

No disk mode

aim.com doesn't work well with it. You click "SUBMIT" and nothing happens.

No iChat for that matter.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2007, 10:41 AM

Suggestion: Option to convert high-bitrate songs to 128Kbps AAC like you can with the iPod Shuffle. This could be a big space saver for some.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 30, 2007, 10:42 AM

On my podcast's feed, the links to the m4a files don't work, but they work in Safari on the Mac. I'm going to post this as a bug.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 30, 2007, 10:08 PM

ok initial impressions:

1) VERY cool

2) gmail implementation sucks - it imported a ton of my archived emails, and there's no way to select multiple emails and mark all as read or delete all. The gmail client on my old blackberry was awesome - you could search your entire archive- it was great

3) to do lists

4) an instant messenger app- this is a joke. Clearly att didnt want this by looking at the data plans with SMS

5) i really miss the "double space" equals a period and a new capital from the blackberry. Having to manually switch to symbols and put in a period vs just double spacing is lame

6) bring on the APPS!!
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

Too Artificial
Forum Regular
Jun 30, 2007, 10:21 PM

1. Better handling of spam -- Junk anyone?

2. Message threading in Mail

3. iChat client

4. copy/paste, select text

5. graphics support in excel attachments (graphs didn't show up)

6. ability to re-route Google map directions

Overall though, I LOVE it!
Thinking of buying a new Mac? My free ebook might help.

MOTHERWELL
Senior User
Jun 30, 2007, 10:25 PM

for those of you having gmail problems - change the settings/mail option to get old mail to OFF. I'm not sure of the exact name but its near the bottom.

MOTHERWELL
Senior User
Jun 30, 2007, 10:30 PM

The problem i am having with mail:
I click on a message and "message not downloaded from server" appears. This even happens with emails that were working fine yesterday.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2007, 11:19 PM

What's nice to see is that most of the suggestions for improvement I've seen can be easily fixed/added with a software update.

spiff72
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2007, 11:42 PM

I would like to see the phone support landscape mode for email and messaging modes. That bigger keyboard is easier to use!
"Mac Daddy" - 15" MBP, 2.2 GHz Core i7, 8GB, 750GB HDD
"Mommy Mac" - 13" Macbook, 2.4GHz C2D, 2GB, 160GB
"Baby Mac" - 15" PB, 1.5GHz, 1.5GB, 80GB
64GB iPod Touch (4th gen)

pooka
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2007, 12:57 AM

the lack of disk mode is retarded. Browsing is nice. But saving files would be useful.

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

chrisford
Forum Regular
Jul 1, 2007, 02:00 AM

Is there really no option to set 'phone profiles (Silent, Meeting, etc.)? That seems a very odd omission.

someone  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 1, 2007, 02:33 AM

This is fantastic -- so much can be fixed thru a software update. Anyone else notice incredible bass distortion on the builtin speaker?
someone who loves Macs

vertigociel
Forum Regular
Jul 1, 2007, 03:23 AM

It's pretty much impossible to have a built-in speaker in a portable device with decent bass response. Even my iMac's bass response is pretty weak.

Cars, however, make it impossible to hear anything over the bass.

CIA
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2007, 04:21 AM

1. I agree on the email points. I got a ton of old mail I had deleted show up again on the iPhone. This seems more like a server setting issue tho. But on that note, the ability to select multiple emails for deleting or whatever would be nice.

2. I know it's a new toy and all, but at the bar this thing is a chick magnet. While waiting for friends to arrive tonight at the local "watering hole" I was sitting in the corner surfing the web on it (not flaunting) and lot's of ladies came up and asked about it. 8-)

3. I know it will improve with time, but youtube is limited at this point.

4. iTunes ringtones. I'll pay the .99 to convert 30 second sections of my songs to ringtones.

5. The headphone jack is narrow, limiting what can be plugged in to it.

6. I would like to see tiny "feet" on the bottom, so when I set it down it's less likely to get scratched of dirty. Overall I admit this is a VERY durable phone. But adding little feet to it would be nice.

7. This may change as features are added via software updates, but the $600 I paid for my 8gb seeems high. In hindsight I should have got the 4gb knowing that an iPod with 100+ GB storage but the same interface is coming probably this fall. I would say this is a $300-$400 phone, not $500-$600.
But hey, Apple knew it could sell them for that much, and did. As expected, even at that price point they are flying off the shelves.

8. Don't even get me started on the activation issues.

Overall I'm happy. Signing up was a nightmare, as I had the activation problems a lot of other people had, but once it finally was on it's a great product. I suspect in 1 year these will be as common as the iPod.
Work: 2008 8x3.2 MacPro, 8800GT, 16GB ram, zillions of HDs. (video editing)
Home: 2008 24" 2.8 iMac, 2TB Int, 4GB ram.
Road: 2009 13" 2.26 Macbook Pro, 8GB ram & 640GB WD blue internal
Retired to BOINC only: My trusty never-gonna-die 12" iBook G4 1.25

someone  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 1, 2007, 04:41 AM

An iTunes visualizer would be sooo cool.

And how about AirTunes streaming? Or at least decent Bluetooth file transfer... (how about over SMB/AFS?)

How come there's no way to scroll the scroll bars?

Also, how do I change the "sent from" and "reply to" address in a gmail account?

Speaking of gmail, why is all my sent mail redelivered to my inbox?

Transitions for photos can't be set to "Random." Alarm frequency can't be every weekday.

How do I delete groups of email?

The back button in safari should be press and holdable to have a little mini browsing history pop up (you know, like on normal browsers). Where's forms autofill and saved passwords?
someone who loves Macs

vln2
Jul 1, 2007, 10:49 AM

Anyone is having problems with WiFi?
- The first time I used my after activation it worked like a charm. Ever since it drops, sometimes it refuses to connect to my Access Point at home. I have 2 laptops connecting fine so I don't know what the issue is.

- I was watching YouTube video late at night and all of the sudden it froze and a terribly loud sound like a siren started and I could not stop it with anything. iPhone was unresponsive. The only thing I could do was to reboot it holding power button for 5+ seconds. This thing woke up my wife and my dog sleeping at the other side of the house. After rebooting everything worked fine.

michelangelo33
Jul 1, 2007, 01:21 PM

I second the 'double space = period' when typing. I keep proofing emails I type up and notice I'm missing punctuation. I at least think the period should be on the same screen as the letters. It would be a tight fit though. Maybe BlackBerry has patented the double space feature.

Also, I agree, I think it needs profiles. Normal and vibrate isn't enough. I need a quite too. That's what I use at night when I'm sleeping. If someone calls when I'm sleeping, I don't want to be woken up by the 24 style 'Alarm' ringtone and I certainly don't want the phone vibrating. If someone's going to wake me up with a late night phone call, I want something peaceful. But, maybe that's just me. I guess I could just change the ring tone at night. You know, turn off all the audible alerts for email, sms, calendar and select a nice 'Harp' ringtone.

But, since this is all I have to complain about, I'll shut up.

Oh wait, one more. Deleting multiple messages. That's it on the suggestions for improvement.

More initial thoughts:
Yesterday I was literally grinning ear to ear all day. Pinching photos, flicking through lists (just for fun), flipping the phone when browsing the web (did you know you can flip it horizontally both ways?), watching YouTube videos (which I never do on my Mac, it just seems really cool to do on the phone -though I still question it being it's own application).

I'm sure the novelty will wear off and in a few days I can actually get down to using it as an actual productivity tool, which is why I bought it. But, for now I'm going to get back to flicking and pinching.

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 1, 2007, 01:35 PM

The more I type, I would be happy with nothing other than "double space=period"

Thats all I want.

L
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

MacHeadChef
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2007, 01:47 PM

The iPhone should have a bigger HD, a 20GB or 30GB would be nice.

MacHeadChef
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2007, 01:48 PM

Also, for us to be able to access the SIM card and be able to change battery would be nice too.

vln2
Jul 1, 2007, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by MacHeadChef View Post
Also, for us to be able to access the SIM card and be able to change battery would be nice too.
Removing the iPhone's SIM card | Crave : The gadget blog

michelangelo33
Jul 1, 2007, 02:17 PM

I've heard people mention this battery thing. I'm not knocking anyone for wanting to change a battery, but does this really happen? I've never even thought about changing out a battery on my phone. I just don't get it. I cannot imagine going through a battery in a single day. And even if you talked and used the wi-fi or edge, and watched movies that much in a single day wouldn't you at some point be somewhere you could charge it? I'm sure a third party car charger is coming.

Again, not being critical of anyone wanting to be able to change out the battery, I just don't understand why you'd need to.

philm
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2007, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by michelangelo33 View Post
Again, not being critical of anyone wanting to be able to change out the battery, I just don't understand why you'd need to.
Well, one reason is to take a charged spare with you when travelling. It's not something I have ever craved either.

someone  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 1, 2007, 09:43 PM

I agree with the double space = period. Very useful.

Anyone know how to change the gmail sent-from or reply-to headers? Or how to prevent gmail from inboxing sent email?
someone who loves Macs

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2007, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Too Artificial
6. ability to re-route Google map directions
You can. Hit the edit button in Google maps to bring up both addresses. Then hit the wavy arrow button located to the left. It's shaped like the letter N.

Here is a list of features I would like to see added in the next firmware update.

1 - Give us the option to view email in landscape mode. It's much easier to hold the iPhone in landscape mode when typing a message with both thumbs.
2 - Double space = period **must have**
3 - Holding down the back button in Safari should bring up a menu of previously view pages.
4 - Copy/Paste and select text **another must have**
5 - Add customized ring tones. I want iTunes to offer not just songs but sound effects too. I have always wanted for a text message alert that "1-up" sound effect you hear in the Super Mario games.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 3, 2007, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
You can. Hit the edit button in Google maps to bring up both addresses. Then hit the wavy arrow button located to the left. It's shaped like the letter N.
I thought he meant picking an alternate route, not just swapping the destination and start point.

1 - Give us the option to view email in landscape mode. It's much easier to hold the iPhone in landscape mode when typing a message with both thumbs.
2 - Double space = period **must have**
3 - Holding down the back button in Safari should bring up a menu of previously view pages.
4 - Copy/Paste and select text **another must have**
5 - Add customized ring tones. I want iTunes to offer not just songs but sound effects too. I have always wanted for a text message alert that "1-up" sound effect you hear in the Super Mario games.
I agree with all of these 100%. Even the Super Mario sound effect part.

Originally Posted by CIA View Post
6. I would like to see tiny "feet" on the bottom, so when I set it down it's less likely to get scratched of dirty. Overall I admit this is a VERY durable phone. But adding little feet to it would be nice.
I seem to recall reading an interview with Jonathan Ive where he mentioned specifically that he didn't want to put feet on his stuff. I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: Here we are:

"Your phone’s got feet on,” he says, not unkindly. “Why would anybody put feet on a phone?” Ive has the answer, of course: “It raises the speaker on the back off the table. But the right solution is to put the speaker in the right place in the first place. That’s why our speaker isn’t on the bottom, so you can have it on the table, and you don’t need feet.” Sure enough, no feet toe the iPhone’s smooth lines.
http://www.jonathanive.com/2007/01/j...on-the-iphone/

someone  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 3, 2007, 02:42 AM

has anyone had any interesting crashes yet? here's one of mine, from the baseband itself:

3637690 clm: Clearing DTMF queue
3637690 evt: Sending event kServiceProviderNameNotification (13)
3637690 evt: Sending event kRegistrationStatusNotification (11)
3637690 evt: Sending event kDataAttachStatusNotification (110)
3637690 evt: Sending event kRegistrationStatusNotification (11)
3637690 evt: Sending internal notification kEventNotRegistered (3) params............
3637691 evt: Sending event kSimToolkitMenuNotification (97)
3637691 evt: Sending event kSimToolkitSetUpIdleModeTextNotification (105)
3637691 evt: Sending event kSimStatusChanged (138)
3637691 rm: start reset dispatcher state
3637691 rm: end reset dispatcher state
3637696 ipc: read() failed: Resource busy (16)
3637803 ipc: *** Baseband crash detected! ***
3637967 stk: sessionResponse_nl: Out of turn response: 4,-1
3639805 ipc: ThreadedIpcDriver::dumpState() : buffer (0 bytes):
3639805 rm: fWriteDataAvailable=false, fBufferSize=2048, fReadFlush=false
3639805 rm: fSupportsH5TransportMode=true, fInH5TransportMode=true
3639805 ipc: closed reader fd, reopening...
3639806 evt: Sending event kRadioResetNotification (84)
3639806 rm: sendPing
3639806 rm: EXIT: resetCommon
3639806 send[default]: at
someone who loves Macs

CIA
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2007, 03:44 AM

I seem to recall reading an interview with Jonathan Ive where he mentioned specifically that he didn't want to put feet on his stuff. I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: Here we are:

Jonathan Ive &ndash; Jonathan Ive on the iPhone
After seeing it, I now remember reading that awhile back, and agreeing with it on paper. Now that I have one tho, I'm back to wishing for tiny little feet. I know the speaker is on the side, but I'm not worried about sound, I'm worried about scratches in the long term.
Work: 2008 8x3.2 MacPro, 8800GT, 16GB ram, zillions of HDs. (video editing)
Home: 2008 24" 2.8 iMac, 2TB Int, 4GB ram.
Road: 2009 13" 2.26 Macbook Pro, 8GB ram & 640GB WD blue internal
Retired to BOINC only: My trusty never-gonna-die 12" iBook G4 1.25

EddieRebel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 4, 2007, 03:55 PM

I really wish that it supported picture messages. I had a friend of mine try to send me the same pix message 3 times and finally we just gave up on it. She even tried to send it via bluetooth but that wasn't working either.

It would be nice to be able to use the landscape keyboard in all apps, not just Safari. I don't think that would be too difficult to implement.

There is no way to change the display of weather apps that I know of. If you have 10 cities and want to make a new one the 3rd city, you have to delete locations 3-10, enter the new one, then re-enter the old ones. Seems like an easy fix to me.

Not sure if they could implement this or not, but even my 3 year old LG phone that I was excited to replace had a video camera on it. I was surprised this one only has still photos (although the 2MP really does look nice). Any idea if a firmware/software upgrade would be able to enable this?

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2007, 12:52 AM

I really hope they can update the camera through software. It would be nice to have iPhoto and Photo Booth filters/effects built into the iPhone.

thefourthtenor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2007, 02:47 PM

Unfortunately... as a former blackberry and treo user... there are lots of things missing :-( I love the phone and I'm not getting rid of it... but its just so frustrating to see that lots of the things that I depended on... are unavailable.

-Saving pictures/attachments from an email to the phone
-copying and pasting ANYTHING. Phone numbers to address book, email addresses from address book into another email, text from email to another email, text from text message to email, etc.
-selecting text (i think this goes along with copying and pasting text)
-right click? or blackberry's cut, copy, paste, reply, forward, or a ctrl+click on the mac
-third party applications (that arent web based)
-a way to select mutiple email and set them to "read or unread" or to be able to delete multiple email at the same time

maybe its just me... or maybe there are some secrets that i dont know about yet...

I hope that's the case.

Please enlighten me.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 11, 2007, 02:51 PM

Those are all valid issues, but I am hoping that most if not all of them will be solved by a software update. This is only version 1.0 after all, and Apple was under time pressure to get it out the door.

Beansmaster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2007, 04:40 PM

My wish list to date (some of these are repeats from above):
1. FM Radio functionality as on my iPod with the remote doohicky
2. Voice recording - This should be a system level thing so that you could record a message and send it as an email or add a memo to a celndar event.
3. Data syncing through .mac (music/video still through the dock)
4. iChat - I'd like to see this integrated into the SMS application and have it be a messaging app. That way if someone wasn't available on line it would automatically send a text message.
5. Ability to get data from a bluetooth GPS and have it dump directly into the google maps app
6. office document editing.
7. RSS reader
8. The ability to reject an incoming call with an SMS
9. Create event from an email
10. Link to find a location in a calendar event on google maps app or add a location from a contact entry.
11. Ability to invite contacts to an event from the calendar app
12. Mail actions and ajunk mail filter.
13. Business card reader with OCR (See the Sony P990i)
14. Good speakers with a dock and a microphone that I could have on my desk to charge and use as a speakerphone.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2007, 05:01 PM

This request may seem kind of silly but I would like to have coverflow for my contact list.

krove
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2007, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
This request may seem kind of silly but I would like to have coverflow for my contact list.
Hot!

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 18, 2007, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Beansmaster View Post
2. Voice recording - This should be a system level thing so that you could record a message and send it as an email
AT&T would never allow this.

mergemedia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2007, 01:13 AM

terminal, and a cli ssh client.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Jul 24, 2007, 02:13 AM

- Google Docs and Spreadsheet (it would make sense, since it seems like Google is providing applications and Yahoo is providing widgets).
- I actually wouldn't want iChat since it would cut into my SMS allotment (I think; based on how I assume normal mobile AIM works).
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 24, 2007, 02:29 AM

I don't understand what you mean about iChat.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2007, 02:44 AM

A screen capture app would be nice. I'm adding it to the list.

Forum Links
Forum Rules