Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone unlock Q & A thread

iPhone unlock Q & A thread (Page 2)
g.c.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2007, 10:29 AM

Let's just say it is possible to unlock the phone (as many claims of unlocking currently exist). Where is the so called "iTunes patch?" described by JPhillips. The only reason I say that, is that eventually the phone will be unlocked, and once that happens people will be screwed into going onto iTunes and not being able to sync their phones. Thus unlocking is useless untill that mystery "iTunes patch" is located.

art_director  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2007, 11:18 AM

thx for the update. i've been trying to get on the site as well. no go.

art_director  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2007, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by g.c. View Post
...and once that happens people will be screwed into going onto iTunes and not being able to sync their phones. Thus unlocking is useless untill that mystery "iTunes patch" is located.
do you have substantiation for this? how exactly do you know people will be screwed?

news reports claim the iphone has not sold out. could mean several things. i'm guessing that if sales do not meet expectations they'll begin selling unlocked iphones for use with any gsm carrier.

again, limiting the iphone to one carrier in the u.s., even if that carriers has the most market share, is not sound business. apples has set out to own this part of the cell market and i believe they'll succeed. it will take more than at&t wingular to accomplish that goal.

g.c.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2007, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by art_director View Post
do you have substantiation for this? how exactly do you know people will be screwed?

news reports claim the iphone has not sold out. could mean several things. i'm guessing that if sales do not meet expectations they'll begin selling unlocked iphones for use with any gsm carrier.

again, limiting the iphone to one carrier in the u.s., even if that carriers has the most market share, is not sound business. apples has set out to own this part of the cell market and i believe they'll succeed. it will take more than at&t wingular to accomplish that goal.
I never thought of their not being a problem, so you may be right.

As for your other claim of unlocked phones sold by Apple: That's not happenning.
There is a 5-year contract that Apple and CIngular (now AT&T) signed so that their would be an exclusive US carrier of the phone for the duration of the contract.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 1, 2007, 11:35 AM

news reports claim the iphone has not sold out.
It hasn't sold out completely, but it's doing very well.

Apple's IPhone Sells Out at Most AT&T Stores, Swamping Network

Apple Inc.'s U.S. debut of the iPhone drew thousands of shoppers over the weekend, emptying most of AT&T Inc.'s inventory and causing network glitches as the flood of customers began activating the device.

Shoppers snapped up as many as 200,000 iPhones the first day after the device went on sale June 29, according to Global Equities Research. While it was still available at all 164 Apple stores yesterday, AT&T said most of its 1,800 stores no longer had the phone in stock. AT&T is the only mobile-phone service that works with the iPhone.

``A lot of our stores have sold out,'' said Mark Siegel, a spokesman for San Antonio-based AT&T, the largest U.S. wireless service. ``We're restoring our inventory as fast as we can.''

---

Apple stores sold an estimated 128,000 iPhones on the first day, while AT&T stores sold 72,000, said Trip Chowdhry, an analyst with San Francisco-based Global Equities.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 1, 2007, 11:37 AM

You can unlock most other GSM phones by typing in a numeric code because the manufacturer has created that feature. I don't see why Apple would would add that as an option on the iPhone.

art_director  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2007, 11:40 AM

As for your other claim of unlocked phones sold by Apple: That's not happenning. There is a 5-year contract that Apple and CIngular (now AT&T) signed so that their would be an exclusive US carrier of the phone for the duration of the contract.
first, if that contractural timeline is true, apple could, in theory, sell unlocked iphones after the contract expires.

second, apple could allow att wingular to sell the iphone exclusively and create another phone with similar, or dare i say better, functionality under another name. that would be a nifty way around the iphone contract.

third, i doubt apple (read steve jobs) would allow this very important product to be held under the thumb of a cellular provider indefinitely. feelings about att wingular aside, the cell industry is know for their poor customer service and abuse of customers -- every cellular provider included.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 1, 2007, 11:45 AM

first, if that contractural timeline is true, apple could, in theory, sell unlocked iphones after the contract expires.

second, apple could allow att wingular to sell the iphone exclusively and create another phone with similar, or dare i say better, functionality under another name. that would be a nifty way around the iphone contract.

third, i doubt apple (read steve jobs) would allow this very important product to be held under the thumb of a cellular provider indefinitely. feelings about att wingular aside, the cell industry is know for their poor customer service and abuse of customers -- every cellular provider included.
Exclusivity is a common theme in the cell phone world, at least for certain periods of time.

However, it must be noted that exclusivity is only for specific markets. There's no stopping Apple from releasing unlocked phones in say Asia.

In fact, that's how people around here often get their unlocked phones. Instead of buying a contract and a branded phone and unlocking it later, they just buy an import phone that was never locked in the first place.

The main problem with this though is support of the proper frequency bands.

art_director  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2007, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
It hasn't sold out completely, but it's doing very well.

Apple's IPhone Sells Out at Most AT&T Stores, Swamping Network

Apple Inc.'s U.S. debut of the iPhone drew thousands of shoppers over the weekend, emptying most of AT&T Inc.'s inventory and causing network glitches as the flood of customers began activating the device.

Shoppers snapped up as many as 200,000 iPhones the first day after the device went on sale June 29, according to Global Equities Research. While it was still available at all 164 Apple stores yesterday, AT&T said most of its 1,800 stores no longer had the phone in stock. AT&T is the only mobile-phone service that works with the iPhone.

``A lot of our stores have sold out,'' said Mark Siegel, a spokesman for San Antonio-based AT&T, the largest U.S. wireless service. ``We're restoring our inventory as fast as we can.''

---

Apple stores sold an estimated 128,000 iPhones on the first day, while AT&T stores sold 72,000, said Trip Chowdhry, an analyst with San Francisco-based Global Equities.
like i said, it's not a sell out yet. mind you, it probably will be soon, but, as of this post, it's not.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 1, 2007, 11:48 AM

like i said, it's not a sell out yet. mind you, it probably will be soon, but, as of this post, it's not.
The point is that sales have met analysts' expectations.

Things seem likely to be going as planned. 200000 phones in 1 day is quite impressive.

art_director  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2007, 11:48 AM

Exclusivity is a common theme in the cell phone world, at least for certain periods of time.

However, it must be noted that exclusivity is only for specific markets. There's no stopping Apple from releasing unlocked phones in say Asia.

In fact, that's how people around here often get their unlocked phones. Instead of buying a contract and a branded phone and unlocking it later, they just buy an import phone that was never locked in the first place.

The main problem with this though is support of the proper frequency bands.
nine of the last ten phones i purchased were unlocked units from abroad. to date i've not had a problem with any one of them being capable of working with my provider's network.

you pay more for these units and you may / may not get support (hasn't been a problem for me) but you're not beholden to a cellular provider and you need not extend a contract. for these reasons i only buy unlocked phones.

art_director  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2007, 11:50 AM

The point is that sales have met analysts' expectations.

Things seem likely to be going as planned. 200000 phones in 1 day is quite impressive.
yes, it is. but rest assured, at some point the sales will fall off. then it will get interesting.

truth be told i'd be surprised if apple has this device so locked down that will be rendered useless with other networks. they only have marketshare to gain by allowing it and saying, 'shucks, thought we had it secured.'

art_director  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2007, 11:53 AM

i would have an iphone right now if they had selected another cellular partner. i'm not interested in using at&t wingular. been there and had a very bad experience with their gsm / gprs network. it simply up and quit in my area one day. bought my way out of my contract and never looked back.

my feelings about that company are not exclusive.

art_director  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2007, 11:54 AM

i have a friend who bought two iphones on friday -- one for him, one for his wife. trying to meet up with him today so i can feast my hands on it.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 1, 2007, 11:56 AM

nine of the last ten phones i purchased were unlocked units from abroad. to date i've not had a problem with any one of them being capable of working with my provider's network.
They will work, but they often are a compromise. For example, Sony Ericsson often sells quad-band GSM phones, and tri-band GSM phones with 3G UMTS support. The latter phones often come first. The Tri-band GSM phones with 3G UMTS will work fine in North America, but lack the 850 band, which for some areas in the US on some carriers may be an issue. However, in certain areas, that's irrelevant, especially on T-Mobile.

you pay more for these units and you may / may not get support (hasn't been a problem for me) but you're not beholden to a cellular provider and you need not extend a contract. for these reasons i only buy unlocked phones.
Ironically, I often get my unlocked phones for less than what my carrier charges for sales without a contract. However, with a contract, the price my carrier charges is usually significantly cheaper.

This doesn't seem to be the case with the iPhone. They want $600 for an 8 GB iPhone, AND a 2-year contract. Ouch.

yes, it is. but rest assured, at some point the sales will fall off.
That too is to be expected. Even Apple seems to think that's some time in July, as IIRC that's when Apple plans on giving its employees the free iPhones (after initial demand is satisfied).

truth be told i'd be surprised if apple has this device so locked down that will be rendered useless with other networks. they only have marketshare to gain by allowing it and saying, 'shucks, thought we had it secured.'
I have no idea how strong the lock the iPhone lock is. However, Apple could still make unlocked iPhones a major PITA, even if the lock on the phone itself is not that strong. One possible scenario is Apple requiring any US firmware iPhone to be properly activated with AT&T to work fully with iTunes. I would hate to have to patch iTunes after every .x.1 update.
( Last edited by Eug; Jul 1, 2007 at 12:03 PM. )

Visnaut
Senior User
Jul 1, 2007, 12:15 PM

I'm glad the overabundance of uppercase letters in this thread has died down.

The fact is, if there was a fully unlocked iPhone in the wild, the news media would be frothing at the mouth reporting that Apple's phone had already been "hacked", with security "experts" chiming in saying that Apple's device is insecure.

So with the iPhone's restore image floating around and the unlocking efforts underway, here are a few interesting tidbits:
  • As posted above by Eug, the dmg's for the iPhone are password protected, and they're uncertain where the password may reside, either maybe in iTunes, or on the iPhone itself. They're also leaning towards it not being a word, but a 128-bit key, which will make it very hard to guess.
  • The USB connection to and from the iPhone seems to be simulating an SSL connection
  • The iPhone's "Finder", the home screen, is apparently an app called "SpringBoard"

This is definitely going to get interesting. It's already apparent that Apple learned a lot about locking the device down from the AppleTV.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2007, 01:03 PM

I would hate to have to patch iTunes after every .x.1 update.
This is what I'd be worried about. The way they've got activation tied up with iTunes, I'd be worried that I'd plop down all that money and then, like some of the other iTunes hacks, it wouldn't work after some update. I want to be able to upgrade Apple software without worrying about that. It's really pretty obnoxious what they've done with the iTunes-iPhone activation system, but maybe it was to placate AT&T.

freudling
Banned
Jul 1, 2007, 02:37 PM

Just spoke to someone who has the firmware. He said there is a lot of code. I don't know where he got it from. What we do know is that the iPhone is locked by it's software, not by it's hardware. That is a good thing.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 1, 2007, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
This is what I'd be worried about. The way they've got activation tied up with iTunes, I'd be worried that I'd plop down all that money and then, like some of the other iTunes hacks, it wouldn't work after some update. I want to be able to upgrade Apple software without worrying about that. It's really pretty obnoxious what they've done with the iTunes-iPhone activation system, but maybe it was to placate AT&T.
Well, they basically reached under the table and served AT&T their own balls on a silver platter.

AT&T is putting a LOT of work into iPhone, and from what I've read, the business deal is a *lot* better for Apple than it is for ANY other phone manufacturer.

All in exchange for a 5-year exclusive tie to AT&T.

Is Apple going to do their darndest to keep this exclusive deal exclusive?

Hell yeah. They have to.

Graymalkin
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2007, 03:37 PM

I don't know if some of you choked when you were younger and ended up with severe brain damage or if the damage was there from birth. The iPhone is locked down well enough it is not very likely someone is going to able to hack it in a weekend. If one did exist the report of such would be all over digg, engadget, and Gizmodo right now. Since that hasn't happened I think it's pretty safe to say no one has unlocked one yet.

There's also a logical disconnect happening. Just because the iPhone is a phone and a Nokia 3650 is a phone doesn't mean the iPhone will be as easy to unlock as the Nokia 3650. For one you can get a stock Nokia 3650 firmware image to flash the phone with removing a carrier's custom image. No such thing exists for the iPhone as the stock image is the only one available. The Nokia (and most other phones) also allow for themselves to be flashed over an unprotected serial connection. A "clip" is just a pre-programmed unlocker that calculates the unlock code and applies it over the phone's serial connection.

The iPhone is running its own OS and firmware, all written by Apple. The iPhone is not just a rebranded phone designed, build, and programmed by somebody else. Their software doesn't even need to contain the ability to be unlocked as AT&T is the only available carrier for iPhones right now. I hope people aren't wasting money on iPhones in the illogical hope they're going to be magically unlockable thanks to the help of "European programmers" or some craziness.

Freudling: don't try to school me on unlocking GSM phones, I've been doing it for years and know quite a bit about what I'm talking about. Just because you're being taken in by some scammer claiming to be unlocking iPhones doesn't mean the rest of us are so stupid. You don't seem to fathom the technical aspects of what you're talking about but are pretending to, I won't make fun of you but you need to stop telling others what they do and don't know.
2GHz 15" MacBook Pro, 120GB 5400rpm HD, 2GB RAM

freudling
Banned
Jul 1, 2007, 03:48 PM

My source says 3-4 days. They are currently hexxing the firmware. I personally never claimed that I actually thought for certain that those guys unlocked the iPhone. But I do not doubt it as much as you. I think they had a early iPhone model leaked from Apple, back in late 2006 and have been working on hacking it for the past 8 months.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2007, 04:38 PM

According to Hackintosh, the firmware has been leaked.
http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1316

I imagine it'll only be a matter of time before someone has this unlocked and the OS exposed for meddling fingers. Yeah!
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 1, 2007, 06:12 PM

The file they have has two dmg files (among others). One is unmountable, and the other is password protected.

As of yesterday, they hadn't been able to mount the unmountable file, and hadn't gotten by the password protection for the other. ie. They hadn't gotten very far, even despite having that collection of files in hand. There are other files there that may still prove useful though.

I don't know where they are now, because the site seems dead now.
The site is back up.

No significant progress with the .dmg files. This is the password protected file:
No dice.

Just ran through a dictionary of about 3.2 million possibilities with vfcrack, also no love.
Well, you they managed to mount the other .dmg file... sorta:
If you mount 694-5259-38.dmg with toast you'll find a .aiff audio file inside...

It's just noise....but I don't think it's an audio file....if you analyze it with some audio editing software you'll see that the spectrum is just too regular... I think it's just toast that mounts it as an audio cd...it contains data I think...
One wonders if that last file is truly a weird type of protection, or if it's just corrupted.

MacTheKnife
Jul 1, 2007, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
According to Hackintosh, the firmware has been leaked.
iPhone OS System Restore Image (download here) - Hackint0sh

I imagine it'll only be a matter of time before someone has this unlocked and the OS exposed for meddling fingers. Yeah!
This is big news! I look forward to see what America's finest hackers come up with!

veggieburger
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2007, 08:22 PM

History of 'exclusive' ATT (Cingular) marketing: V3 and others.....they held an exclusive until techies circumvented locked phones. Actually, I asked for and got unlock code from Cing.....could have gotten on the web, also. Global travelers have multiple SIMS and NEED unlocked phones. Providers will not deny customers what they need to communicate. They simply want some exclusivity for a time.......that gains them new customers.

FACT: iphone is a 4 BAND phone!....just what are those other 3 for? There is a method to access those other 3 bands and apparently some have already figured it out. Apple is not God.....their proprietary codes CAN be broken!

I was told by ATT tech that other SIMS will PROBABLY work in my iphone.....after I have activated with ATT (my provider). Apple made 10 Million phones and ATT has taken 1 Mil........where do you think Apple will market those other 9 Mil.....?.....to other band users, of course! All the worry and hand-wringing is for naught........Jobs is no dummy.

freudling
Banned
Jul 1, 2007, 08:25 PM

Update:

They have gotten the iPhone firmware (about 94 mb file), as well as mounted the 694-5259-38.dmg. Using an open source solution you can force open the password protected dmg files. They are hexxing associated files and have some trial passwords. However, no unlocks yet.

seivad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2007, 10:18 PM

first one to brick their $499 iPhone...hi-5!

There are more issues that are relevant here than what have been mentioned. For instance;
no Firmware
a dumbed-down OSX (su - anybody?)
its $499 to "attempt"
Are the velocity sensors hardware based or software controlled?

Unlocking a motorola for instance, my motorola for this instance was not complex with easy software and a great forum to match (motox). I think if people really want to "hack" their iPhones to "unlock" them, then dont buy one. The phone isnt even 3G....how disappointing. Cant wait til it hits Australia for the Next G network, all the bugs/kinks will be gone n flash memory will most likely be up by January.

freudling
Banned
Jul 1, 2007, 10:49 PM

They have the firmware. I have the firmware. All the files are in there. I have been looking through them. From this end, and the others working on it, everything is there to flash the phone. The interesting thing is, the software was obtained by downloading from some obscure link from Apple. They have also discovered some major security holes that make hacking in much easier.

There has been a lot of information determined in regards to what happens during the usb sessions between iTunes and the Phone. They have mapped out several things that happen during the handshake (i.e. what files are involved, and what those files do). So there are different angles to it, some are trying to trick iTunes, others are going for a full flash, others still are focussed on getting unlock codes.

As for the firmware being available so easily, and the security holes, a large part of me thinks that Apple both wants people to unlock these things and knows that they will. I really don't think Steve, and everyone at Apple, likes AT&T controlling their flagship product. AT&T, in this regard, got used. Once the lid is blown off on how to reliably hack these phones, all hell is going to break loose at AT&T. They better make their money now because in 6 months their iPhone contracts will go down the toilet. The fact that you can buy an iPhone without a contact gives strength to this prediction.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 1, 2007, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by freudling
However, no unlocks yet.
Originally Posted by freudling
Once the lid is blown off on how to reliably hack these phones
Hmmm... You seem to be changing your tune now...
Originally Posted by freudling View Post
Someone is able to do it right now.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 1, 2007, 11:30 PM

You guys are pussies.

My 85 year old grandma just unlocked my iPhone with a toothpick.
I trust her, since she does that for a living. There you go. Sent me your iPhones, and I'll have her do them.

-t

g.c.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2007, 12:41 AM

I just asked 2 eBay posters claiming to have an unlocked iPhone on eBay how they did it, and one said they said they used: Unlock Your Apple iPhone - iPhoneUnlocking and the other said they used: http://fineunlock.com/products/Apple-iPhone

Hope that helps people! I'm waiting on a reply from both and have yet to get one.

If the guys on eBay say they have unlocked iPhones, and they said these were the places they went... I'm pretty sure they're selling unlocked ones because selling a fake on eBay is not beneficial especially when you've sold many things and are a frequent seller. That's not to say that I'm not skeptical, but rather that I REALLY hope this is true and am convincing myself that I can have my iPhone unlocked haha!

CIA
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2007, 12:41 AM

There really is no downside to hacking the phone, opening it up to other providers.
Apple will make money on the phone sale, but if rumors are true then they lose the monthly kickback they get from AT&T for each subscriber. Visual Voice Mail won't work, but possibly other features will. Either way Apple is still going to profit a little from the initial phone sale.
The small (compared to the number of all legit cell phone users) percentage of people who would use a unlocked iPhone won't be a huge deal. AT&T is the only loser really.
Work: 2008 8x3.2 MacPro, 8800GT, 16GB ram, zillions of HDs. (video editing)
Home: 2008 24" 2.8 iMac, 2TB Int, 4GB ram.
Road: 2009 13" 2.26 Macbook Pro, 8GB ram & 640GB WD blue internal
Retired to BOINC only: My trusty never-gonna-die 12" iBook G4 1.25

freudling
Banned
Jul 2, 2007, 01:11 AM

Eug, when I said no unlocks yet, I was referring to the guys who are over at the iPhone dev project. As for the others who claim to have unlocked, while I am skeptical too, I think there are people who can: who got help from someone inside Apple, and may even have the master password. When you look at one of the sites, they claim they can unlock 75% of the phones. Smells like a master password - smells like an inside job.

At this point, I am sticking with that community over at iPhone Dev right now. It has been good since it is allowing me to understand the process upon which to unlock the phone.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 2, 2007, 01:38 AM

When you look at one of the sites, they claim they can unlock 75% of the phones. Smells like a master password - smells like an inside job.
What kind of genius master password works in 3 out of 4 cases ?
I would not exactly call that a master password.
And what about the rest ? Do you need a sub-master or an anti-master password ?

-t

elias1a
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2007, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by croozn View Post
You have the disadvantage of not having a clue what you are talking about.

You cannot unlock an iPhone. But if some wizard gets THAT far...

You cannot ACCESS THE SIM CARD on an iPhone...so even if you "unlocked" it, you cannot switch it to another network.

It is thus at least "double locked" and this has never been done before. There is no old school way around it.

If you buy one of these on EBay, you are HOSED for about $1,000 and there is nothing you can do about it.

Last, as I understand, even if you bought it and planned on using it on AT&T...you CANNOT. The original purchase was matched with that buyers credit card number, which must be entered on iTunes to set up the phone. So unless he gives you his credit card number (yeah, right), you cannot buy one of these from someone else.

This is not some average cell phone company, this is Apple. The old tricks don't work.

If you don't want AT&T (which would be smart of you) then what you can do is WAIT.
Hi everybody,

Please visit this link and you will find out how easy is to remove the sim card and you can even they teach you how to put the phone apart. http://www.ifixit.com/guide/phone

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 2, 2007, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Send me your iPhones, and I'll have her do you.

freudling
Banned
Jul 2, 2007, 03:25 AM

I think you need a master-master password. Our guys think they can maybe have it done in one more day. Everyone has gone to sleep....

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 2, 2007, 05:15 AM

I think you need a master-master password. Our guys think they can maybe have it done in one more day. Everyone has gone to sleep....
Oh yeah?

Well *I* think you need a hyper-master-master password.

In fact, my mom has superspecial privileges, so *she* gets to choose it.

Yeah. All those Windows developers ask HER for it, and they don't even start writing their hack programs without her authorization.

She's also the source for the original factory firmware.

HER iPhone is like totally unlocked, people!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 2, 2007, 05:21 AM

I just asked 2 eBay posters claiming to have an unlocked iPhone on eBay how they did it, and one said they said they used: Unlock Your Apple iPhone - iPhoneUnlocking and the other said they used: http://fineunlock.com/products/Apple-iPhone

Hope that helps people! I'm waiting on a reply from both and have yet to get one.

If the guys on eBay say they have unlocked iPhones, and they said these were the places they went... I'm pretty sure they're selling unlocked ones because selling a fake on eBay is not beneficial especially when you've sold many things and are a frequent seller. That's not to say that I'm not skeptical, but rather that I REALLY hope this is true and am convincing myself that I can have my iPhone unlocked haha!
Considering the first site claims several thousand iPhones unlocked already, and not a single one has shown up ANYwhere, and the second site says
Originally Posted by fineunlock.com
Apple iPhone Unlocking Available Soon!

Apple releases this new phone in June, and experts say it will make a revolution on the market of mobile phones. Millions of people will get one for themselves, and today we are gathering information what operators will lock iPhone. Currently, we expect Cingular AT&T (USA), Rogers (Canada), and Vodafone (Europe) will provide their service for iPhone owners.

Our team is ready to provide iPhone unlocks from the very moment it become possible. Please check our web-site regularly not to miss your unlocking chance!

You may also leave your e-mail - and we will notify you immediately when the unlock for iPhone is available.
FineUnlock.com guarantees that your e-mail will be not used for any other purposes apart from iPhone unlock notification and we will not disclose your e-mail to any third parties.

Please enter your mail here:
I think it's safe to report those eBay sellers to eBay as the fraudsters they are.

I'd consider filing criminal charges against them, as well.

ViktorCode
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2007, 07:44 AM

Rather interesting way of unlocking which requires 2 iPhones to try:
iPhone Unlocked, Accidently? : The iPhone Blog

This is the safest method either to unlock or to bust this rumor.

as2
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2007, 08:45 AM

At the moment there is no proof that any iPhone has been unlocked.

Race is on to unlock the iPhone - iPod/iTunes - Macworld UK
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Jul 2, 2007, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by veggieburger View Post
FACT: iphone is a 4 BAND phone!....just what are those other 3 for? There is a method to access those other 3 bands and apparently some have already figured it out. Apple is not God.....their proprietary codes CAN be broken!
This has nothing to do with unlocking the phone. The other three bands are for use in area where GSM coverage is in a different frequency band. For example, the GSM bands in use in the US are 850 and 1900 MHz. If you travel overseas, 900 and 1800 MHz are the GSM bands.

This means that you can roam off the AT&T network with a locked phone, but if you are overseas, you will pay the international roaming rate.

Rolando_jose
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2007, 09:34 AM

I think that due to the uniformity of AT&T in the US theres no problem for Apple to sell the iPhone locked, but in Europe with the gazillion companies that sell Mobile access it will be a rather harsh situation. Some carriers work on some countries, but as far as I know, theres not a single carrier that works on all (well, maybe Orange) so you will need to be able to have a phone that will work on the countries you visit (for wahtever reason) the most.
An what about India, Asia, Central and South America? can they get agreements to have just one provider? (Telefonica has a lot of South and Central Am countries linked, but not all).

Just my two cents

Roland

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 2, 2007, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Rolando_jose View Post
I think that due to the uniformity of AT&T in the US theres no problem for Apple to sell the iPhone locked, but in Europe with the gazillion companies that sell Mobile access it will be a rather harsh situation. Some carriers work on some countries, but as far as I know, theres not a single carrier that works on all (well, maybe Orange) so you will need to be able to have a phone that will work on the countries you visit (for wahtever reason) the most.
It has been pointed out numerous times that Apple CANNOT tie itself to a single carrier in Europe due to cartel (anti-monopoly) laws.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 2, 2007, 10:14 AM

Hey guys. I just picked myself up an iPhone. After hexxing the dmg in the firmware file I downloaded, I was able to extract the master password by utilizing a large security hole that was discovered during the iTunes handshake process.

All the important features of the iPhone work great. Google Maps and Safari work just fine, as does iPod functionality of course. The only problem is visual voicemail, but I have no use for that feature anyway. However, I can't show you evidence of this, because I don't want to give away my secrets. I do this for a living after all, and I don't have time to take all those pictures and post them anyway, because all of my spare time is now used unlocking iPhones over the internet.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2007, 10:40 AM

Hey guys. I just picked myself up an iPhone. After hexxing the dmg in the firmware file I downloaded, I was able to extract the master password by utilizing a large security hole that was discovered during the iTunes handshake process.

All the important features of the iPhone work great. Google Maps and Safari work just fine, as does iPod functionality of course. The only problem is visual voicemail, but I have no use for that feature anyway. However, I can't show you evidence of this, because I don't want to give away my secrets. I do this for a living after all, and I don't have time to take all those pictures and post them anyway, because all of my spare time is now used unlocking iPhones over the internet.
So, are you saying that you unlocked the phone? Or are you just yanking our weasels?
( Last edited by osiris; Jul 2, 2007 at 10:48 AM. )
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

parjas95
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2007, 10:59 AM

Have you sucessfully found a solution to unlock the iphone? I am very interested.
( Last edited by parjas95; Jul 2, 2007 at 11:06 AM. )

g.c.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2007, 11:39 AM

I'm interested as well! I PM'd you Eug.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 2, 2007, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
So, are you saying that you unlocked the phone? Or are you just yanking our weasels?
Originally Posted by parjas95 View Post
Have you sucessfully found a solution to unlock the iphone? I am very interested.
I'm interested as well! I PM'd you Eug.

Guys, it seems your sarcasm detectors aren't working very well. Or perhaps my sarcasm emissions were too low to detect...

Originally Posted by Eug
Hey guys. I just picked myself up an iPhone [Ed: even though I live in Canada, as mentioned earlier in the thread]. After hexxing the dmg in the firmware file I downloaded, I was able to extract the master password by utilizing a large security hole that was discovered during the iTunes handshake process.

P.S. Osiris, I generally don't like torturing small furry animals. Just MacNN members.
( Last edited by Eug; Jul 2, 2007 at 12:01 PM. )

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 2, 2007, 11:49 AM

Freudling haxxored Eug's MacNN account.

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules