Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook revision

Macbook revision
treebark7182
Forum Regular
Sep 4, 2007, 10:30 AM

Hello,
I'm in the market to buy a new laptop and I was wondering when the last revision for the macbook was and when a possible new version could come out.
>trevor

craigb6
Sep 4, 2007, 12:19 PM

No one outside Apple knows for certain, but this page on Mac Rumours should certainly help you.
MacBook 2.0GHz | 2GB RAM | 80GB HDD
http://craigb6.blogspot.com/

robshoy
Sep 4, 2007, 12:52 PM

I think most people will point to October, since that's when Leopard will be released. Apple will probably revise the Macbook to ship with Leopard.

xtal
Senior User
Sep 4, 2007, 06:19 PM

In the area of rampant speculation, I suggest January. It seems consistent with the aforementioned Buyer's Guide and, of course, MWSF.

To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.

tmpilling
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2007, 06:50 PM

That certainly is a handy little page.

I think I'll be refering to it when my beloved powerbook is looking near death.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2007, 03:08 PM

I posted this on Appleinsider earlier, as I too am looking for a Macbook, albeit with French keyboard:

The Macbook really is showing it's age atm imho... it needs an upgrade desperately.

I preface this post with the fact that I have used Macs since around 1990, have owned 50+ for work, home and all my computing uses. I work in IT (used to work for Apple infact), and for many many years there was no doubt in my mind that I'd always stay with Apple machines. Since the Intel switch? Hmm, my faith is very much weakened.

Take this for an example. I am looking for a new secondary machine with an Azerty keyboard to go with my Macbook Pro, and have been shopping around. From the looks of it, I can't see how Apple can justify the price atm with the specs the Macbooks have.

For example:

Sony Vaio FZ11E (base model):

1.8 Core 2 Duo,
120Gig HDD,
Geforce 8400 GM (319mb) Gfx card
1 or 2 Gig RAM
15.4 Screen (only 1280x800, but much nicer than the Macbook's one)

Very similar form factor in terms of size

998 Euros!

Acer Aspire 5920

2.0 C2d
160 Gig HDD
Geforce 8400 GM
2 Gig RAM
15.4 Screen

1100 Euros

Let alone machines like the Dell XPS m1330 which has similar if not better stats than the ones above for the same (maybe a bit less) money.

I am at a loss...

I'd love to be able to spec a Macbook to the same level for the same price, but if I go to the Applestore.com/fr, I get this:

Macbook 13.3
2.0 c2d
2 Gig RAM
160 Gig HDD

All for a 1400 Euros! Still with the 950 graphic chipset, and without some of the other cool features that come as standard on the other machines.

Yes, there is the 'OS X' factor, but tbh, you can run Ubuntu on the above machines, and after using it for some time, Vista is a huge stepforward in terms of interface usability.

So, is OS X worth the extra 400+ Euros?

I am really, really struggling to justify it...

I just hope they upgrade the product line soon...
( Last edited by The Placid Casual; Sep 7, 2007 at 05:33 PM. )

Brien
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2007, 03:15 PM

I'm beginning to wonder, with the revisions to the iPod line today, and the new iMac... I think Plastic is on it's way out.

I'm betting Apple's next Macbook revision may be aluminum-clad as well.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2007, 03:51 PM

I really hope not, it sucks for heat dissipation. My MBP can literaly cook things on the bottom when it is in use

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2007, 05:35 PM

There was a tiny bump to the MacBook in May, but it's still using the previous-generation platform (CPU, chipset, graphics card). The next upgrade, which should (must?) be much more substanital, will probably be in January.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2007, 06:00 PM

Only Apple could get away with waiting that long, but I can't see them selling to anything other than the Apple devotees with the current line up, losing out hugely in the xmas market. Very shabby.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Sep 5, 2007, 06:16 PM

MB update in November at the earliest, Apple put it on a May/November cycle for the entire duration that the MacBook has been in existence.
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Sep 5, 2007, 11:49 PM

To the person who said plastic is better at dispensing heat versus metal, you got it backwards mate

I really think the MacBook needs a serious overhaul and perhaps a price adjustment. I sell both Mac and Windows based computers, and even though the Macs have a couple nicer features, and wicked processors, full OS discs etc., the prices are getting quite hard to justify.

What I am hoping the MB's get in the next revision:

-Santa Rosa chipset
-Base model gets Superdrive
-Expresscard slot
-Upgraded shared GPU (NVIDIA 6150?)

Wishful thinking:

-Black or white for all models
-5-in-1 card readers
-Matte or glossy display
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2007, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by drnkn_stylz View Post
To the person who said plastic is better at dispensing heat versus metal, you got it backwards mate
lol reading it back, yep it came across that way... I'll clarify. What I mean was, it is better at heat dissipation, but in a lot of ways this gives the user a lot of problems.

In the MBPs Apple uses the enclosure as effectively part of the heatsink (heatsink is attatched directly to the bottom casing of the machine), to draw heat away from the CPU and gfx chips directly through the chassis, and thus reduce the need for huge vents and fans. Nice solution...;

Until you actually use it on your lap and realise the consequences... it gets too hot to be *anywhere* near bearable on both the top and bottom of the machines.

Until you use it say in bed with the back vent partially obscured... my 2 MBPs regularly freeze this way. (cd 2.0, and c2d 2.18)

Until you use it for a prolonged period doing very processor intensive stuff... well at least I save on cooking and heating bills.

I also have a Lenovo T60, c2d 1.8 machine with the good old Thinkpad plastic design. I can use it all day on my lap with no problem, it has never shut down due to heat issues. (also the enclosure after a year looks new, compared to a battered MBP). The downside, it has a low speed fan on all the time and a vent in the side.

All in all, I'd hate to see the Macbook saddled with the same issues that ruin the MBP experience for some.

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Sep 6, 2007, 03:52 PM

well at least I save on cooking and heating bills.
Cooking on Mac

As much as I love my Macbook, I do wish I could have gotten a little more for my dollar. I am excited though to see what their next step is with the Macbook.

drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Sep 7, 2007, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by The Placid Casual View Post
lol reading it back, yep it came across that way... I'll clarify. What I mean was, it is better at heat dissipation, but in a lot of ways this gives the user a lot of problems.

In the MBPs Apple uses the enclosure as effectively part of the heatsink (heatsink is attatched directly to the bottom casing of the machine), to draw heat away from the CPU and gfx chips directly through the chassis, and thus reduce the need for huge vents and fans. Nice solution...;

Until you actually use it on your lap and realise the consequences... it gets too hot to be *anywhere* near bearable on both the top and bottom of the machines.

Until you use it say in bed with the back vent partially obscured... my 2 MBPs regularly freeze this way. (cd 2.0, and c2d 2.18)

Until you use it for a prolonged period doing very processor intensive stuff... well at least I save on cooking and heating bills.

I also have a Lenovo T60, c2d 1.8 machine with the good old Thinkpad plastic design. I can use it all day on my lap with no problem, it has never shut down due to heat issues. (also the enclosure after a year looks new, compared to a battered MBP). The downside, it has a low speed fan on all the time and a vent in the side.

All in all, I'd hate to see the Macbook saddled with the same issues that ruin the MBP experience for some.

Ahh I see what you are saying now! Yeah I guess the MBP would be crazy hot on the legs huh... My MacBook gets pretty hot when I'm giving her all she's got, I can only imagine what the MBP would be like
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Sep 7, 2007, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by drnkn_stylz View Post
What I am hoping the MB's get in the next revision:

-Santa Rosa chipset
-Base model gets Superdrive
-Expresscard slot
-Upgraded shared GPU (NVIDIA 6150?)

Wishful thinking:

-Black or white for all models
-5-in-1 card readers
-Matte or glossy display
Apple needs to keep the MBP and MB differentiated (just size wise doesn't quite offer much differentiation (which means no discrete graphics chip). The only upgrade the MacBook will get is Santa Rosa (which would include GMA X3100 replacing GMA950). A card reader ruins the simple aesthetics of the MacBook, most consumers don't really care about screen (they just want pretty colors, which glossy offers), Superdrive across the line is possible, and the black or white across the line isn't very likely, either.
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2007, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by butterfly0fdoom View Post
Apple needs to keep the MBP and MB differentiated (just size wise doesn't quite offer much differentiation (which means no discrete graphics chip). The only upgrade the MacBook will get is Santa Rosa (which would include GMA X3100 replacing GMA950).
I doubt the MacBook will get Santa Rosa anytime soon; Apple strongly prefers non-Intel (usually Atheros) wifi. It may (and should!) get Crestline-GM with the next update (any time now...).

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2007, 10:24 AM

I bet that they get rid of white and just have one color. Something like the iMac maybe? Metal and Black? White seems to be on the way out.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Christopera
Forum Regular
Sep 7, 2007, 11:05 AM

Santa Rosa chip set and probably a more efficient screen. I don't foresee a solid state memory setup as even the ipod line up is using hard drives. Also, they may get a bit thinner.

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 7, 2007, 02:28 PM

I say wait at most 2 weeks because usually when Apple releases new products they release them in a chain. i.e. the iMac>iPod>next?

If nothing comes out it is still a sweet lappy.
 16 GB 2nd Generation Black iPod Touch w/Contour Showcase
 White Core 2 Duo Macbook with: 2.0 GHz/1 GB Ram/80 GB Hard Drive

vtboyarc
Forum Regular
Sep 7, 2007, 03:51 PM

I just got a macbook, 2.16Ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB hard drive. its amazing. Its future proof, especialy with all that ram. I can play call of duty 2 with all settings on high, plays very smoothly. and, iLife got udated, so thats good. when leopard comes out, I'll upgrade, and I'm all set!

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2007, 05:12 PM

Hate to say it, but you'll get what you pay for...

Had a helluva time resuscitating my Vista VM after letting it sit idle for 3 or 4 months...

Originally Posted by The Placid Casual View Post
I posted this on Appleinsider earlier, as I too am looking for a Mocbook, albeit with French keyboard:
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2007, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by legacyb4 View Post
Hate to say it, but you'll get what you pay for...

Had a helluva time resuscitating my Vista VM after letting it sit idle for 3 or 4 months...
"Build 6000"?

Vista beta?

Forum Links
Forum Rules