Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > RealPlayer Download Agent stopping wireless connection

RealPlayer Download Agent stopping wireless connection
mmurray
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 13, 2008, 06:14 AM

When I install the latest RealPlayer 11 beta with the download agent my connection from my macbook to my airport extreme basestation stops. When I remove the download agent as a login item and restart my network is fine again.

The airport extreme base station is connected as a bridge to a billion router. The router also has wireless and the macbook connection to the wireless on the router is unaffected as is direct ethernet connection to the router.

Anyone else having this problem ?

Thanks - Michael

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2008, 09:23 AM

Could be the wireless from the router. Try turning that off and setting up the Airport to create a wireless network. Or alternatively, just disable RealPlayer Download Agent
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

mmurray  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 13, 2008, 09:47 AM

I only turned on the router wireless when I found I couldn't get connected to the Airport (before I realised RealPlayer was the problem). Before that I just had the router connected to the Airport Extreme WAN port and the AE was in bridge mode. At the moment I have just killed the Downloader Agent. It comes back though when ever I launch RealPlayer.

Thanks - Michael

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2008, 09:56 AM

When the download program opens, go to Preferences. In that window, there's a checkbox "Add RealPlayer Downloader Agent to Login Items". Uncheck that and you should be fine.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

mmurray  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 13, 2008, 10:05 AM

Ah good idea. OK I deleted all the Real related pref's and launched again. This time I told it not to set up the Downloader as a login item. Now I can run it without it installing the Downloader.

Thanks a lot - Michael

Oaf Tobar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 12, 2008, 12:56 PM

By any chance, do you folks have OpenDNS or an equivalent DNS set up in your AirPort routers?

https://www.opendns.com/start?device=apple-airport

I think this was my problem.

Forum Links
Forum Rules