Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Iphone Lacking basics but looks very good "Hollywood phone"

Iphone Lacking basics but looks very good "Hollywood phone"
AnnexDev
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 2, 2008, 12:10 AM

After 2 days with the phone i looked forward to.

Don't all gun me just read and think. Apart from the following the iPhone can potentially kick other phones into touch. I actually got a few friends to buy the phone as i evangelised it.

I hear you all. There are far more irritations than that. I mean as a multimedia device the iPhone is great but as a functioning phone it is ****. It lacks features that can be found in a budget £30 phone!! Im not saying it is not a great machine but apple are not moving fast enough and who decided to omit these basic features. Im sure all those on the dev team own phones too. I really am baffled after so many software updates these issues have not been addressed. These are not even 'Wish list' requests. Features that have been available for years. My iPhone has to be part of my 2 phone arsenal and cannot be my only phone else i really would be frustrated. I despise windows shite mobile but still find myself going back to it for basic functions missing from my iPhone....

Software Review Per App

The iPhone is a great multimedia device but weak as a phone. A lot of features missing are not even wish list features...they are basic available across the board from budget mid and high end phones.

SMS
Weak
No ability to forward SMS!!!
No Repository to save unsent SMS in case of no Radio Reception
Repository to save Frequently used SMS messages for quick replies
No Drafts for SMS
Delivery Reports System?
MMS

CALENDAR
No Week view?
Send/recieve Calendar Events? Via Email/Sms/BT
Add images to events?
Add Contact (s) related to events?
Drag events around times

PHOTOS
Photo text tagging
Send via BT
Receive Via BT

CAMERA
Crap but you know that - Not really important anyway
No video recorder?
Light or flash

CONTACTS
Search should always be at the top of the contacts page not scrollable with the rest of the contacts
Send contacts via BT/SMS/Email - At the very least to another iPhone

MAPS
Email a map image
BT a map image

NOTES
Sync notes!!!!!!
Basic formatting [Font change/bold-italic etc/justification/colours]

YOU TUBE
Good app not much improvement needed
STOCKS
WEATHER
CALCULATOR
No Comment - Does what it needs to do without the chaff
CLOCKS
iTUNES
APP STORE
PHONE
Ability to save contacts during a phone call.
Delete individual missed calls and dialed calls. Not delete them all!
Call duration in call records?
Sound is still low as hell? Ringtones and music playback - Well below the average of other phones

MAIL
Search?
zip . Rar Support

SAFARI

iPOD
Ahem! Why can i not assign tune from my collection to be ringtones and Message alerts. Please get over charging for tunes twice. If i have purchased a tune from the iStore i should be able to use it as I like within the restrictions of the DRM and not copy it to another device and share it which is fair enough. But my own purchase no being used as a ringtone.....I don't get the logic?
Ahem! Why can i not update podcasts OTA!!! Have to sync to update them....Why?

SETTINGS
GENERAL
Double click home button to recent call list option
Should be able to charge the phone while it is off
Cut n Paste... well u know that one

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 2, 2008, 02:37 AM

I think even those that love their iPhones are well aware of the fact that it is all but feature-complete. Heck even Apple knows that. They have been quoted saying they have a whole list of features they want to add and that they're dealing with them one by one according to their priority (copy&paste for example is on that list but apparently doesn't have high priority).

And it goes without saying that for some people even though the iPhone lacks certain features (I for example think the lack of tethering is pathetic) it is still the best phone they could possibly buy on today's market. Others however deem certain missing features as so important that they'd be better off getting something else. Like yourself maybe.

So what's to make of all this? Bottom line is buy an iPhone if you like what it has. Don't buy it if it's lacking something you absolutely need/want to have. And don't buy it if you're expecting it to be perfect. In fact, don't buy any phone if you're expecting it to be perfect.

QSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 2, 2008, 10:55 AM

Everyone has their hit list for the iPhone. I've had an iPhone for almost a year and, while AnnexDev has an interesting list, for the most part I kept saying "So what?" as I read through it. Most of those items would provide such a small improvement in the way I use the iPhone that it wouldn't matter if Apple ever got around to implementing them.

QS

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2008, 12:45 PM

Those who seek perfection in consumer products will forever be disappointed.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2008, 12:49 PM

Meh.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2008, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by AnnexDev View Post
MAPS
Email a map image
You can do a screenshot and then email it out of your Photos library.

-t

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 2, 2008, 06:36 PM

All of these things have been beat to death already. A few things: Why do you need zip or rar support with Mail? It's not like you can open a big app or something and use it right on the phone. I don't understand the need for Bluetooth everything. Bluetooth just sucks battery power and it's just as quick to email something. With Software 2.0 you can charge the phone while its off (or at least the 3G).

mmurray
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 6, 2008, 12:40 AM

Actually the Weather app in Australia is rubbish as Yahoo weather is always wrong. For example the Yahoo forecast for today and the next three days is

16/8, 18/11, 17/11, 22/8

the official forecast is

17/11, 19/8, 20/8, 20/8

I have no idea why this is like this but I gave up on most weather apps on the mac for this reason. There is a 3rd party app called Pkt Weather that does Australian weather properly.

There is a 3rd party app for sending contacts.

Michael

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2008, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
I don't understand the need for Bluetooth everything. Bluetooth just sucks battery power and it's just as quick to email something.
No, it's not.

People keep forgetting that there's a person RECEIVING the damn thing, as well (the constant error with arguing against MMS).

The speed difference between sending something via Bluetooth (or MMS) and via e-mail can be that reception is "instant" vs. "sometime next week when I'm back in the office".

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2008, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by mmurray View Post
There is a 3rd party app for sending contacts.
Is this the one you mean:
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...290051011&mt=8

The lite version:
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...286028991&mt=8

Does that actually send contact info via SMS? If so, that's an absolute must for me.

(From the description, it seems like it does, but not as vcard - due to developer access limitations-, which sucks but is better than nothing. The lite version doesn't appear to have this function at all.)

This one does it as vCard, but only via e-mail, not SMS:
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...286348301&mt=8

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2008, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by mmurray View Post
Actually the Weather app in Australia is rubbish as Yahoo weather is always wrong.
I can confirm that for certain parts of Northern Europe. I don't know why the heck Apple went for this shitty Yahoo Weather servcie when they already had AccuWeather working well on Tiger/Leopard. Thanks to Apple's crappy Weather app implementation I've had to resort to using Weather Underground's nice iPhone web page through Mobile Safari http://i.wund.com

mmurray
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 6, 2008, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Is this the one you mean:
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...290051011&mt=8

The lite version:
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...286028991&mt=8

Does that actually send contact info via SMS? If so, that's an absolute must for me.

(From the description, it seems like it does, but not as vcard - due to developer access limitations-, which sucks but is better than nothing. The lite version doesn't appear to have this function at all.)

This one does it as vCard, but only via e-mail, not SMS:
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...286348301&mt=8
Ah sorry I meant via email. I have EmailContact which sends the contact info pasted as text into an email. I haven't looked at apps to send via SMS.

Cut and paste would be a lot easier !

Michael

mmurray
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 6, 2008, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
I can confirm that for certain parts of Northern Europe. I don't know why the heck Apple went for this shitty Yahoo Weather servcie when they already had AccuWeather working well on Tiger/Leopard. Thanks to Apple's crappy Weather app implementation I've had to resort to using Weather Underground's nice iPhone web page through Mobile Safari http://i.wund.com
Before Pkt Weather came out I was using a link to the Australian Bureau of Metereology website saved as an icon on the home page of the iPhone. That facility to save links like that is really neat.

Michael

Forum Links
Forum Rules