Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Funny Mac Book Pro Story

Funny Mac Book Pro Story
gentryfunk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2009, 06:53 PM

So, I work in a school that ripped out Macs 2 years ago and replaced them with generic box PCs. I have used PCs for years at work (since 1984) and tolerate it. I use a Mac at home and for the other work that I do.

I just purchased a new MAc Book Pro and brought it to work this week. On one of my breaks, I went to the library (where the IT department has its headquarters) and started doing some work and using the web.

The IT staff (4 guys) saw me and the computer and almost ran out of their offices to see the new machine. I wowed them with the trackpad and the ability to use gestures to manipulate the desktop, programs, etc. For more than 45 minutes, these guys took over the machine and started laughing, smiling, and enjoying their experience with this machine. This reaction from a group of guys who are always grim and trying to repair the many machines on our campus.

At the end of the period, they looked at me and said, "god I wish we had that kind of hardware" and " I had no idea that a Mac could be so cool" and "I really need to look more into the Mac OS."

I left with a big grin on my face, happy that, for just a few minutes, I could bring a little sunshine to a PC user.
15" MBP, 2.66Ghz, 4 GB RAM
and....17" iMac C2D
and....Mac Classic II (still running well)
and.....a couple of homebuilt game machines and other ancient stuff like OS/2, BeOS, and Windows 2.0!

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2009, 03:33 AM

I love doing the same thing to the people at work.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 10, 2009, 04:36 AM

It gets old, though.

shrugs*
May 12, 2009, 03:36 AM

Hah, those are always great moments.

I work in IT (Lenovo/HPs galore) but regularly use my MBP at the office.... oddly enough, I encounter more grouchiness than anything else.

"See, I told you IT is under a whoooole different payscale."
Macbook Pro + Sawtooth

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2009, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by shrugs* View Post
Hah, those are always great moments.

I work in IT (Lenovo/HPs galore) but regularly use my MBP at the office.... oddly enough, I encounter more grouchiness than anything else.

"See, I told you IT is under a whoooole different payscale."
That's funny.

The correct assumption would be that IT actually knows what they're doing for themselves...

Forum Links
Forum Rules