Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Are these legit screenshots from 10.2

Are these legit screenshots from 10.2
shiny
Dec 19, 2001, 10:15 AM

check out the zip file offered in the middle of this thread over at dslreports.
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/rema...cdsl~mode=flat javascript: x()

kman42
Professional Poster
Dec 19, 2001, 10:27 AM

They look legit at first glance, but they also don't look overly complicated. Easy to fake? I don't really have an eye for that sort of thing. And they don't show anything farfetched.

kman

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2001, 10:27 AM

I have a hard time believing that "white on black" one...

...but the rest look okay. I don't see any tell-tale signs of Photoshopping except for the icons for the toolbar for Disk Copy. Of course, they could just be incomplete.

Cool.
The server made a boo boo. (403)

ChaChi Boy
Senior User
Dec 19, 2001, 10:29 AM

Looks real to me.

Iguana: The other green meat.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2001, 10:40 AM

If they are fakes, they are good ones. But let's keep in mind that these are very limited pics; they really don't show alot. The black and white shot strikes me as something Apple would never do. I couid be wrong.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Jelle Monkmater
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: World capital of drugs and prostitution. Hmmm... SEXTC...
Dec 19, 2001, 10:40 AM

I just hope they're real. Another step towards Insanely Great.
The one you love and the one who loves you are never the same person.

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2001, 10:46 AM

Originally posted by Jelle Monkmater:
<STRONG>I just hope they're real. Another step towards Insanely Great.</STRONG>
Wow, spring loaded folders. Neato I'll schwing to that one.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

ChaChi Boy
Senior User
Dec 19, 2001, 10:48 AM

Originally posted by MacGorilla:
<STRONG>The black and white shot strikes me as something Apple would never do. I couid be wrong.</STRONG>
Apple is big on Accessibility. I think this is something they would do.

I hope they add more then is shown in these screengabs. Spring loaded folders is nice but the rest is a bit of a yawner.

oranjdisc
Senior User
Dec 19, 2001, 11:01 AM

I would never use the disabilities preferences, but it's very nice to see Apple putting the time into that. I especially like how they handled the GUI.

"I have trouble with..."

SEEING / HEARING / KEYBOARD / MOUSE

Nice IA, for sure.

tinrib
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2001, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by MacGorilla:
<STRONG>The black and white shot strikes me as something Apple would never do. I couid be wrong.</STRONG>
They did it before. I think it was in the Disablity or Easy Access or something control panel in OS 8. Maybe even 9? or 7?

Anyway - they've done it before. That's for sure.

Hemingray
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2001, 12:52 PM

Sweet! I'll vouch for it. Of course, if someone REALLY had time on their hands they could fake it, but I don't think so. I'm definitely looking forward to this if it is in fact real.

Now, my question: Is this enough to warrant a full point release? I could easily see this as 10.1.2...

KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2001, 12:55 PM

They're real, the white on black is for those with sensitive eyes to light and such. I can't say for sure how they got the screenshots, but whoever did them did a good job and yes, some pars of the UI are incomplete, since jaguar is about 3 months off anyway. Cheers.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Dec 19, 2001, 01:15 PM

Originally posted by KaptainKaya:
<STRONG>They're real, the white on black is for those with sensitive eyes to light and such. I can't say for sure how they got the screenshots, but whoever did them did a good job and yes, some pars of the UI are incomplete, since jaguar is about 3 months off anyway. Cheers.</STRONG>
[Edit: Grammatical corrections]
3 Months? More like 6, I'd wager.

[ 12-20-2001: Message edited by: Oneota ]
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2001, 01:20 PM

yeah, 6 months is more reasonable..sorry about that, I was just saying at least 3 before we had extensive knowledge. Better?

BTP
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2001, 01:22 PM

I too think these look real, but if we could see some clips of the poster working in it, maybe even a uname -a in Terminal might go a long way in making me believe.
A lie can go halfway around the world before the truth even gets its boots on. - Mark Twain

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2001, 01:45 PM

They look good And real...

Hope they are real and that 10.2 will have even more features !

HamSandwich
Dec 19, 2001, 01:56 PM

Hey
the black & white stuff is real! Exactly that was in early 10.1 builds. Apple took it out, probably because it was not completely done. They seem to have thrown it in again, those are good news!!

Steve

mudmonkey
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 19, 2001, 01:57 PM

Originally posted by KaptainKaya:
<STRONG>They're real, the white on black is for those with sensitive eyes to light and such. </STRONG>
Does anyone know why they removed the "Grayscale" options from the Monitors Setting?

I, personally, while spending a number of hours writing code or working in latex prefer a greyscale, neutral screen to go easy on the readability...

I could use my NeXTCube for hours without eye strain. Of course, I had no option to view color on that, so, that was a downside.

Anyway, it would be nice to switch into grayscale when sitting down for some typing and flipping back to color for photoshop, illustrator, and web browsing.

Oh, of course reading these forums.
Meh

Krypton
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2001, 03:33 PM

They look very real to me - i.e because they don't show any shocking new features, just ones that should have been there since the start.

Anyhow, I have never seen anyone "fake" Mac OS X pictures - so why does anyone jump to this conclusion?

Although, I could show you my mock up of build 9A12 if you really wanted! (borrowed the numbers from QuickTime about box).

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2001, 03:42 PM

Originally posted by Krypton:
<STRONG>Anyhow, I have never seen anyone "fake" Mac OS X pictures - so why does anyone jump to this conclusion? </STRONG>
Then you really must be new to the online Mac community!
The server made a boo boo. (403)

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2001, 05:13 PM

Originally posted by Hemingray:
<STRONG>Now, my question: Is this enough to warrant a full point release? I could easily see this as 10.1.2...</STRONG>
I could easily see this as 10.2.

I checked the list of new/bug fixes/etc for 10.1.2 and didn't see any new features there. 10.1.1 is primarily for bug fixes and I believe that it will continue with 10.1.2. Maybe they've decided to merge 10.1.2 into 10.2 and make it as important reason to upgrade.

Kestral
Senior User
Dec 19, 2001, 05:20 PM

Originally posted by oranjdisc:
<STRONG>I would never use the disabilities preferences, but it's very nice to see Apple putting the time into that. I especially like how they handled the GUI.

"I have trouble with..."

SEEING / HEARING / KEYBOARD / MOUSE

Nice IA, for sure.</STRONG>
The only thing that's missing is an "I've Fallen and I Can't Get Up" tab

JLL
Professional Poster
Dec 19, 2001, 05:20 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
<STRONG>

I could easily see this as 10.2.

I checked the list of new/bug fixes/etc for 10.1.2 and didn't see any new features there.</STRONG>
IrDA??
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

dark3lf
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2001, 05:29 PM

These would be super easy to fake because most contain just text and the "black on white" thing is just a matter of inversion. Also, there is no transparency or alpha on the icons in the customize tool bar in the disk copy picture. They are all believeable however.

Simple inversion of this control panel

No transparency

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2001, 06:02 PM

You folks disappoint me.
Take that "white on black" shot and invert it in Photoshop. The lemur simply inverted a standard faked windowshot. Pretty sad.

All fakes.

JC Denton
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2001, 06:05 PM

Originally posted by dark3lf:
[QB]These would be super easy to fake because most contain just text and the "black on white" thing is just a matter of inversion. Also, there is no transparency or alpha on the icons in the customize tool bar in the disk copy picture. They are all believeable however.
[QB]
While I'm the last person on earth to comment on image processing (I'm more proficient in ProDOS than Photoshop), looking back on the "black on white" seems to be more than just an inversion, since the icons in the screenshot and in your image are quite different. It might be very, very easy to change the inverted colored icons to the greyscale icons in the 10.2 shots, but like I said, I have no idea about any of that.

Also, I'm guessing that the icons lack transparency or alpha in the disk copy picture since they're not finished and might just be placeholders. At least, I hope so, since question marks don't really invoke "resize" and "checksum device", at least for me.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Dec 19, 2001, 06:05 PM

Who cares if they are real or not, the story for me is-

SPRING LOADED FOLDERS!!!! WHOOHOOO!!!!
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

train
Dec 19, 2001, 06:23 PM

For some of these features NOW...

Spring-loaded folders (at least in column view) : Download "Coela"

White on Black effect (or at least something close to it): Download "Blacklight"

have fun
train ::: GraphicsBooks.com

ChaChi Boy
Senior User
Dec 19, 2001, 06:35 PM

I didn't see lables in there. Shame.

BTP
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2001, 09:17 PM

I am leaning toward being a doubter after reading a few more posts, these are fake.

Now I am just curious, does the faker have the correct build number(they said 6B11)? I don't read/follow/know where to find Bugtraq.
A lie can go halfway around the world before the truth even gets its boots on. - Mark Twain

moreno
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 19, 2001, 09:31 PM

it's a beta: who cares transparency? Who knows if the icons of the toolbar are still being made? now, all commercial OS should have accessabilty options by law, and inversion setting is an easy step for quartz.

i think that are real.

moreno
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 19, 2001, 09:36 PM

oooooopss... doble post delete this pl.
tx

[ 12-19-2001: Message edited by: moreno ]

j3kyll
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 19, 2001, 09:38 PM

All of these pictures don't even require photoshop and can be knocked up really quickly by using interface builder along with other developer apps.

Its piss easy and the black and white one is just that with backlight or something similar.. ridiculous.

Try it, they could be a mixture of interface builder and photoshop cut and pastes...

Open interface builder if you have developer tools, double click "Application" under "Carbon" in the list, the start draging on boxes etc etc onto the window...

h3h

[ 12-19-2001: Message edited by: j3kyll ]
A computer without Windows is like a cake without mustard.

foobars
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2001, 09:50 PM

So just because something can be faked it is faked? You guys who don't think these are real are idiots. They're just as real as they are fake. More likely real since these are perfectly legit features.

ARENA
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2001, 09:52 PM

I bet those are legit.

Why would someone bother to compose such snaps, without even "revealing" any new 'special' feature? Only subtle changes are shown.

Those are legit shots of an early 10.2 build.

diamondsw
Senior User
Dec 19, 2001, 09:54 PM

There's another report over at www.thinksecret.com with different images, and they show some of the same apps but on different desktops, etc. I doubt one faker would make the exact same shot with different backgrounds. Look at the various Disk Copy toolbar shots.

I want it. Now.

[ 12-19-2001: Message edited by: diamondsw ]

infowarrior
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2001, 10:37 PM

Mac folks will shoot me for this, but that white-on-black was so retro, I was having visions of my old Apple IIc system with the 9" green-on-black monitor.......I wouldn't mind using that motif for a while, if nothing else for 'old times sake' or as something that's easier on the eyes for non-graphic application work.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 19, 2001, 10:48 PM

Originally posted by Silky Voice of The Gorn:
<STRONG>You folks disappoint me.
Take that "white on black" shot and invert it in Photoshop. The lemur simply inverted a standard faked windowshot. Pretty sad.

All fakes.</STRONG>
I'm sure.

Of course, that simple inversion could have actually been done by a couple of lines of code that Apple wrote. Those troglodytes simply inverted a standard Quartz layer. Pretty simple, perhaps unfinished, but undoubtedly *most* effective for some variations of [insert currently trendy peecee euphemism for vision impediment here].

It breaks my heart to see you in such pain and disappointment.

FWIW, icon masks and cosmetic stuff like that is *possibly* not such a top priority for a product reportedly slated for release in six months, yes?

-chris.

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2001, 11:09 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
<STRONG>

I'm sure.

Of course, that simple inversion could have actually been done by a couple of lines of code that Apple wrote. Those troglodytes simply inverted a standard Quartz layer. Pretty simple, perhaps unfinished, but undoubtedly *most* effective for some variations of [insert currently trendy peecee euphemism for vision impediment here].

It breaks my heart to see you in such pain and disappointment.

FWIW, icon masks and cosmetic stuff like that is *possibly* not such a top priority for a product reportedly slated for release in six months, yes?

-chris.</STRONG>

Well here's my thinking. If Apple *was* to offer some sort of white text on black display*, wouldn't they do it as a lovingly hand-crafted appearance theme, not some video-inverting hack? I can't imagine SJ sanctioning his beloved Aqua UI with negative shadows.

*What is the benefit of a display like this, anyway? Do some people have vision problems that this helps? Whenever I leave a website that has white text on black, I see streaks in front of my eyes for a minute or so. It's very uncomfortable to look at.

OverclockedHomoSapien
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 19, 2001, 11:32 PM

Wow! If these are real, then Apple is right on track towards making OS X the best operating system in the world!!!

These changes are subtle enough for me to believe that they are not faked. Usually fakes have too many changes, or the changes are so dramatic that they take the OS in an entirely new direction.

The little things, like extras in the contextual menus, and new preferences, those are so APPLE! Little touches like those are what set the Mac OS apart, IMO.

And spring loaded folders!?!?! Awesome! I'm sure Apple gets feedback on the lack of spring-loaded folders on a daily basis, so it's not surprising that they've decided to bring them back. I can't wait to see how they're implemented in OS X...I bet they're better than in OS 9!

I bet 10.2 is ready by the time OS X is the default OS...meaning that when new Macs boot into OS X by default, the OS will be so ready for primetime! Already, the reviews are solid in OS X's favor when comparing it to Windows XP. With these features alone (from the screen shots), I can imagine reviewers will fall in love with OS X. It's going to be a done deal: OS X is THE premium operating system, and nothing else in the market will compare.

Apple ROCKS!!!
[FONT="book antiqua"]"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
- Thomas Jefferson, 1816.[/FONT]

diamondsw
Senior User
Dec 19, 2001, 11:41 PM

Or in the case of Windows XP, not a priority for the finished product.

curmi
Senior User
Dec 20, 2001, 12:19 AM

<STRONG>

Well here's my thinking. If Apple *was* to offer some sort of white text on black display*, wouldn't they do it as a lovingly hand-crafted appearance theme, not some video-inverting hack? I can't imagine SJ sanctioning his beloved Aqua UI with negative shadows.

*What is the benefit of a display like this, anyway? Do some people have vision problems that this helps? Whenever I leave a website that has white text on black, I see streaks in front of my eyes for a minute or so. It's very uncomfortable to look at.</STRONG>
Actually this makes me think these could be real. Yes, some people with vision problems need white on black. Very few applications or operating systems allow you to do it.

I once worked with a guy (a sys admin) who was almost blind. He had to put his face close to the monitor to see, and with huge fonts. He told me that black fonts on white were terrible on his eyes, and he really wished he could have white text on black. We hacked a Solaris version of FrameMaker for him specifically to look like that so he could work comfortably.

moreno
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 20, 2001, 01:12 AM

is hard to believe the Black on White feature....
blacklight is a simple hack to quartz. you want to test it? go to http://www.versiontracker.com/morein...d=10688&db=mac

the toolbar icons don't have transparency!
I remember previous images of Mac OS X builds at thinksecret, and you see the same, unfinished icons.

[ 12-20-2001: Message edited by: moreno ]

cowerd
Senior User
Dec 20, 2001, 01:30 AM

Actually this makes me think these could be real. Yes, some people with vision problems need white on black. Very few applications or operating systems allow you to do it.
Accessibility features are now mandated for all Federal and many state agencies, as well as many universities [US info only], so if Apple is serious about any market growth in these markets, MORE accessibility features will appear.
yo frat boy. where's my tax cut.

Ybot
Dec 20, 2001, 02:08 AM

While I do believe these screenshots to be real, it is quite possible to fake them in InterfaceBuilder from the DevTools. Example below:

-Y

[ 12-20-2001: Message edited by: Ybot ]

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2001, 02:21 AM

I think it's great that Apple is adding all these accessability features. I have a friend who is almost completely blind. He can no longer read any text of any kind. His computer talks to him. He uses this program JAWS that runs only in Windows 98, I think, that reads all text on the screen to him. However he gets increasingly frustrated with the many problems that his computer has. He used to have a toshiba notebook and just recently got a customized Dell notebook. He frequently gets all sorts of crashes and freezes and nothing ever works right for him. I think that Apple has the opportunity here to integrate text-to-speech as a built-in screen reader for OS X. If my friend was able to have the simplicity of the Mac that would work with his disability he would be hooked in a second. He also is drueling over my iPod so a new iBook that could speak to him would be perfect.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 20, 2001, 02:32 AM

<STRONG>You folks disappoint me.

All fakes.</STRONG>
You *will* eat your words... I guarantee it. But I suppose it won't be until you see it for yourself.

As for me, I know they are real. The transparency thing in Disk Copy isn't a big deal. I am using that version right now, as a matter of fact. I'm burning a CD. I'm in 10.1.1 but I got it from 10.2. It uses the "horizontal spinning" frames of this QTVR when it's doing something (like while it's burning this CD). It's obviously going to have a "busy" animation.

"Connect to Server..." seems to be broken in this build so it's not very usable at the moment.

freeandunmuzzled
Forum Regular
Dec 20, 2001, 03:44 AM

Originally posted by moreno:
<STRONG>is hard to believe the Black on White feature....
blacklight is a simple hack to quartz. you want to test it? go to http://www.versiontracker.com/morein...d=10688&db=mac </STRONG>
holy macaroni! wish i'd had this for halloween!

one trouble with this blacklight app is that the anti-aliasing on fonts doesn't work inverted. this would be a legibility issue i would think, so i hope apple has something more advanced in mind.

freeandunmuzzled
Forum Regular
Dec 20, 2001, 03:50 AM

Originally posted by Krypton:
[QBAnyhow, I have never seen anyone "fake" Mac OS X pictures - so why does anyone jump to this conclusion? .[/QB]
http://www.geocities.com/lordoftrevor/

now you've seen a faked os x pic!

[email protected]
Senior User
Dec 20, 2001, 04:45 AM

wait a minute.

i was ready to jump on board for the whole kit, as i've seen apple implement the inverted screen in beta builds and the rest seemed believable, but the image below shows disk copy at version 10.1 - same as my current build which is not 6xxx. how can that be, what with the extra items under the image menu and toolbar, etc.?

Forum Links
Forum Rules