Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How To: Get What You Want

How To: Get What You Want
GatoVolador
Dec 20, 2001, 09:31 PM

We are the Mac-users. We are the "fans", not the "customers" We are some of the more hardcore Apple supporters. But we are also very critical, and this is a good thing.

So lets say we don't see nearly as much as we want in the next update, Mac OS 10.2. Do we just wait and pretend like its simply taking them a while? Or do we demand more feverishly. How many of us send in feedback regularly with no assurance that they will seriously consider all our griefs?

All I care about is speed right now. Make it faster. Does anyone believe that this is the overwhelming message Apple is receiving and working on or is Apple more concerned with some other area?

So basically, what is Apple working on the hardest, that we will REALLY NOTICE come the next major update.[/LIST]

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2001, 11:02 PM

hmmm.. heres just a few things it needs

1. Speed (faster than OS 9 in every aspect)
2. memory optimization (make it take up less memory than OS 9)
3. trim it down to take less disk space
4. knock out directory errors bugs
5. knock out user privileges bugs
6. needs a feature to set user privleges more specifically.
7. needs more values for sound output (opposed to low, lowmedium, medium,
highmedium, high) or whatever it is that you dont have many options
for volume settings.
8. A way to change the color of the text/name of folders/files.
9. needs to be fully networkable with PCs and pc workgroups like steve led
us to believe in the first place.
10. more themes and theme support
11. fix finder preference bugs
12. needs to user less power
13. needs to be compatible with modems

thats just a few things that happen to effect me off the top of my head so it should be a while

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2001, 11:23 PM

I'd like OS X to, by the next update, be able to do all the following:

Wipe my ass
Wash my car
Take out trash
Make Various Chinese Dishes
Bless me with good looks and beatiful women.

In fact, i actually DEMAND that apple does this... i wonder where their focus has been.

Cowdog
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 21, 2001, 12:16 AM

Originally posted by GatoVolador:
<STRONG>We are the Mac-users. We are the "fans", not the "customers" We are some of the more hardcore Apple supporters. But we are also very critical, and this is a good thing.

So lets say we don't see nearly as much as we want in the next update, Mac OS 10.2. Do we just wait and pretend like its simply taking them a while? Or do we demand more feverishly. How many of us send in feedback regularly with no assurance that they will seriously consider all our griefs?

All I care about is speed right now. Make it faster. Does anyone believe that this is the overwhelming message Apple is receiving and working on or is Apple more concerned with some other area?

So basically, what is Apple working on the hardest, that we will REALLY NOTICE come the next major update.[/LIST]</STRONG>
If you "REALLY NOTICE" anything, I suggest you spend more time away from the computer.

I'm a customer, not a fan or faithful or zealot or supporter...
moof. home of the quintuple edit.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2001, 12:47 AM

1) Define "faster". And yes, this really does need defining; there are certain ways in which OSX is already faster, and certain ways in which it can never be as fast. I will assume, though, that you are talking about responsiveness, and in this, it could be made faster.

2) Impossible and unreasonable. Not that it matters; OSX's superior memory management makes the point rather moot. You need to realize that the OS9 way of memory management was not the only way of doing things, nor even a very good one. OSX handles memory differently, and as a result it is not as much of an issue.

3) Also not likely to be possible. Though you can always take out the BSD subsystem if you want and trim a load of space that way...

4) Clarify, please.

5) Clarify, please. The only bug along these lines of which I'm aware doesn't actually have anything to do with user privs (though it's reportes as such, which is also a bug): files get spontaneously locked on occasion.

6) Clarify, please.

7) Looking at 10.1.1 right now, I see sixteen settings for volume. That enough for you?

8) Clarify, please.

9) Clarify, please. I have not yet had any problems with networking with Windows machines, including when it comes to file sharing.

10) That's a personal desire. While it would be nice, it's nothing more than fluff, and I don't blame Apple for making it low-priority, if in fact it's a priority at all.

11) I haven't seen these myself, but if there are finder prefs bugs, than certainly they should be fixed.

12) Clarify, please. I don't understand this.

13) I don't understand. Both my TiBook internal modem and the old serial modem on my Beige G3 (plugged in via the printer port) work fine under OSX.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2001, 07:23 AM

Originally posted by Millennium:
<STRONG>12) Clarify, please. I don't understand this.</STRONG>
I think the point is actually "Increase battery life on portables running OS X to values comparable with performance under OS 9."

Just a guess, though - much of that list mystifies me as well.

-chris.

Jelle Monkmater
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: World capital of drugs and prostitution. Hmmm... SEXTC...
Dec 21, 2001, 08:12 AM

Personally, I find responsiveness not all that important. As X is now it is, IMHO, 'responsive enough', both on my iBook and my G4 (though I wouldn't want to run Limewire on my iBook if given the choice). And I love the speed of the machine with 256MB RAM. Hmm... multiprocessing as it should be.

Much the same goes for many of the other features named, although the spring-loaded folders and the -what's it called- aid for the disabled thingamabob are useful and good to have.

But what I would like more of is reliability:
-- that I can depend upon folders not spontaneously locking (no I don't use NAV, no I haven't encountered the problem myself, so could well be a NAV-only thing. Apologies if it is);
-- that / isn't all of a sudden group writable again;
-- that the date I see is today's date, not 01/01/1970 1:00;
-- that the harddisk doesn't spontaneously have an 'invalid sibling link', rendering it practically useless;
-- that when I say a folder has list view, that a folder shouldn't decide to use icon view on the next reboot;
-- that the trash will be emptied if I say it should be emptied
-- that if I put an application in /Applications/Internet rather than in /Applications they will still be updated properly.

Bear in mind, I would like more reliability: I'm not saying X isn't reliable (10.1 and its updates haven't failed me yet), but a quick glance over at this forum and there are too many people who have experienced MP3 files lost with iTunes 2.0.3, Mail.app errors with 10.1.1 and now (reportedly) application update trouble with 10.1.2.

This should not be necessary, and that is one thing I would like to see in the next Big Update.

[ 12-21-2001: Message edited by: Jelle Monkmater ]
The one you love and the one who loves you are never the same person.

Forum Links
Forum Rules