Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Wireless Keyboard: Is it for me?

View Poll Results: Which keyboard, based upon the issues I outline below?
Poll Options:
Aluminum Apple wireless keyboard 4 votes (57.14%)
Logitech White Apple Keyboard 1 votes (14.29%)
Old White Apple Wireless Keyboard 0 votes (0%)
Stay wired, you OCD freak. 2 votes (28.57%)
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll
Wireless Keyboard: Is it for me?
Professional Poster
Nov 17, 2007, 08:11 PM

I love the look of the new wireless keyboard, and I really want it, if for nothing else, for the sexiness of it. But I have a few problems with it and I think they might be big:

-I hated the macbook keyboard. it was too small for me. Granted, I only had my MacBook for 3 weeks, so I just didn't have time to get used to it, but in that time I found myslef wishing there was a number pad quite a bit. The Wireless keyboard is laid out the same way. Does anyone else really miss the number pad?

-Do you think that I will get used to the color and lack of number pad? Did anyone ditch it because of number pad frustrations?

-Or should I go for the old white wireless keyboard? I like my wired white one now.

I've made a poll, but I'd like explanations for your votes. I want to go wireless ASAP.

EDIT: FORGET THE LOGITECH OPTION IN THE POLL. IT'S NOT AN OPTION ANYMORE.
( Last edited by 0157988944; Nov 17, 2007 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Logitech no longer an option)

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2007, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
I want to go wireless ASAP.
then what are you waiting for? do it. pussyfooting is not a good quality. just buy the apple wireless aluminum keyboard.

0157988944  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 17, 2007, 08:45 PM

I'd rather not blow $69 on a keyboard I might despise. Thanks for playing.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2007, 09:02 PM

then don't buy anything! first you say you want to go wireless ASAP but you're obviously too scared to buy anything in the off-chance it won't match your decor. that is extremely silly.

0157988944  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 17, 2007, 09:05 PM

Secondly, and more seriously, I hated the macbook keyboard. it was too small for me. Granted, I only had my MacBook for 3 weeks, so I just didn't have time to get used to it, but in that time I found myslef wishing there was a number pad quite a bit. The Wireless keyboard is laid out the same way. Does anyone else really miss the number pad?
The decor thing is more secondary. I'll change the post to further reflect that.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2007, 09:44 PM

I've been using a Powerbook/MBP for so long that I am not used to using a numpad.. Personally I find that it gets in the way of my mouse when it's centered with the screen, or when I move the keyboard to the left, it feels unbalanced. Still my absolute favorite keyboard of all time though.
iamwhor3hay

cleary_jp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 17, 2007, 11:45 PM

I ordered my imac with the aluminium wireless keyboard. For me, I'd rather have a wireless keyboard and give up a number pad instead of a wire. You'll get used to using the numbers along the top, and it looks oh so sexy. No sure about your problem with the size of the keys, I guess thats a personal thing, but just like with my Nokia N73, I used the think the keys were way to small and I used to make heaps of mistakes, but now I'm used to it.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2007, 02:45 PM

The new aluminum wired keyboard is nice, but then again I can live without the numeric keypad. I spend a lot of time on my laptop machines, too, so I'm already used to the keyboard layout.

Personally, I think the nicest keyboard is the new aluminum wired version with the numeric keypad. The layout is better suited for desktop environments. Plus, despite my attempts, I've never been able to get the special function keys on the wireless keyboard to work properly in Windows XP via Boot Camp while the special keys on the wired version work just fine.

I say that unless that 5 mm diameter wire will really get that much in the way to go with the wired version.

Forum Links
Forum Rules