Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Help- how do i replace icons for individual folders?

Help- how do i replace icons for individual folders?
Elixir
May 22, 2007, 08:15 PM

i'm using candy bar but it doesn't work the way i need. i'm trying to replace every album folder with a record icon, and then replace each music file with a music symbol

is that possible? i dont know how to replace .jpeg files either

how is it done?

anyone, it would be greatly appreciated.

Sourbook
Mac Enthusiast
May 22, 2007, 09:03 PM

For your album folders I think you'll have to change them manually. For your music files you can drag the iTunes application into CandyBar's "App Extras" well. There you can change all of iTunes clipping icons.

For your jpegs. Drag "Preview" into CB's "App Extras" well and do the same.

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Mar 20, 2008, 05:58 PM

I am still a little lost when it comes to changing individual folders. I am using the latest version of Candybar and I don't know where the "App Extras" well is. I am trying to change a couple folder icons. For example; my Roms folder I have an icon with a game controller that I would like to change it to. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if I am not as descriptive as I could be.

cgc
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2008, 08:21 PM

Where is App Extras in Candybar 3? I don't see it though I remember Candybar 2 had a way to change icons within an app's package.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 20, 2008, 08:26 PM

I just paste new icons on in Get Info, but that's probably not the tip you're looking for.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

SpaceCat85
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2008, 08:44 PM

I don't know about the album folders, but the iTunes music icons you see on music files in the Finder are in ICNS format within iTunes.

To do it manually:
1. Quit iTunes and make a copy (or archive) of it somewhere, "just in case"
2. Right-click/Control-click on iTunes in the Finder and select "Show Package Contents"
3. Go into Contents/Resources/ and replace the ICNS files for aac, mp3, etc. with ICNS of musical notes.
4. You may need to log out, then log in again to see the new icons.
5. The next time iTunes gets updated, repeat steps 1-4.

iConverter or FastIcns should be good for doing the image-to-ICNS conversion if you don't already have ready-made ICNS. If you want transparency, you'll need to use PNG or TIFF files instead of JPEGs.

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Mar 21, 2008, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I just paste new icons on in Get Info, but that's probably not the tip you're looking for.
I just tried this method and it looks like it will work, except it's just showing the icon preview for the filetype. What filetype should my icon be? I just tried the following: .png, .gif, .tiff, .jpeg, .ico
Thanks in advanced!

Heavy Fluid
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 3, 2008, 05:21 PM

Try this program. Shiny Frog - Img2icns FREE, just drag the picture you want, and it makes the proper format for you. then try the cut/paste method in Get Info. Tedious for every folder, but it will work for you.
In a barrier free world, who needs Windows™ and Gates?

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Apr 3, 2008, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Heavy Fluid View Post
Try this program. Shiny Frog - Img2icns FREE, just drag the picture you want, and it makes the proper format for you. then try the cut/paste method in Get Info. Tedious for every folder, but it will work for you.
Thanks so much. I actually had the application already, I just didn't notice it had a "folder icon" button. I only had a couple folders that I wanted to change so this is perfect! Thanks again!

Heavy Fluid
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 4, 2008, 12:00 AM

No problem. I think that this might be the first time that I have ever helped anyone here. Usually it is me that is in need of help.
In a barrier free world, who needs Windows™ and Gates?

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2008, 06:16 AM

Yeah, thanks for the tip, as well. I had an image I wanted made into an icon, and that did the trick. It's difficult to find images though that have transparency already. I'm searchin.

Forum Links
Forum Rules