Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > New Virgin iPhone 4S stuck on 1x speed...

New Virgin iPhone 4S stuck on 1x speed...
Jasoco
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2012, 01:38 AM

So I got my shiny new iPhone 4S today. The phone is awesome. And as long as I'm on WiFi it's great. But with WiFi off, it is perpetually stuck at 1x speeds.

Now I know for a fact this is wrong. I came from a really crappy Android LG Optimus V that had mediocre data speeds, but they were at least usable speeds and worked everywhere I'd ever taken the phone. So this has to be a mistake. My Android phone sucked, but it was usable. Maybe a day 1 bug that needs to be worked out. But I haven't seen like anyone anywhere else talking about getting a Virgin iPhone let alone having problems with it.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to call Virgin's customer support. I hate calling customer support. Hate it so much.

Anyone else get one today?

andi*pandi
Jun 30, 2012, 09:55 AM

I got one but haven't played with it much yet... I am usually near wifi so I think it does prefer wifi when it can get it.

Cold Warrior
Jun 30, 2012, 10:14 AM

Virgin uses Sprint's network, which has a reputation for being low speed and low quality. You could try reprogramming it, sometimes it helps phones refresh their network information. Virgin's reprogram code is ##virgin# I think.

amazing
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2012, 10:47 AM

or you could return it and get an iPhone on a different telephone network...that has full speed.

Jasoco  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2012, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
I got one but haven't played with it much yet... I am usually near wifi so I think it does prefer wifi when it can get it.
Except when you have wifi turned off because the wifi at work inconveniently requires a login every time you connect to it and iOS for some reason disconnects every time you put the device to sleep.

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Virgin uses Sprint's network, which has a reputation for being low speed and low quality. You could try reprogramming it, sometimes it helps phones refresh their network information. Virgin's reprogram code is ##virgin# I think.
How would I do this?

Originally Posted by amazing View Post
or you could return it and get an iPhone on a different telephone network...that has full speed.
Except that there's only two iPhones with prepaid plans in the US. Cricket and Virgin, and Cricket has even less coverage and none in my area. Other option being to lock myself into a contract with one of the three companies. Each with different overpriced plans with different features. I don't even know where I'd start. Or if I'd even be eligible.

Cold Warrior
Jun 30, 2012, 12:25 PM

Dial ##virgin# then Call on the iPhone's keypad.

snowconesandwich
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2012, 07:50 AM

Prepaid plans generally have lower speeds compared to postpaid plans. At least that's how it is in other countries I know.

andi*pandi
Jul 7, 2012, 06:03 PM

Do not take your Virgin Mobile phone to New Hampshire and expect a signal.

Lesson learned.

Forum Links
Forum Rules