Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Turn off "Ask to join networks"...

Turn off "Ask to join networks"...
kman42
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2007, 12:49 PM

I turned this off this morning just to see how it would effect battery life since it is the setting that Apple uses for their battery tests. To my surprise, this option does not interfere with iPhone's ability to join already known networks--it continues to do this automatically. All it does is prevent iPhone from searching for unknown networks. I assumed it would prevent iPhone from searching out any networks, but it doesn't, just new ones. Going from home to work caused my iPhone to join my work network automatically. Cool.

Anecdotally, I think this has improved my battery life as my charge indicator hasn't dropped at all today. I don't know why it would take more power to search for unknown networks than known networks, but whatever works.

I'm curious as to other people's experiences with this and what they think.

kman

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2007, 12:51 PM

Great! I didn't know it worked like that. Thanks for the tip - I only use my network at home and can manually search if I am somewhere else that might have one.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2007, 01:00 PM

That makes sense. I believe that when you have it set to automatically search for networks, it does it at a certain interval. I would imagine that this uses a decent amount of battery. Good to know that you can turn that option off and still auto-join your known networks. Great tip!

PhatBoyG
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2007, 04:14 PM

Yes, as indicated on the bottom on the settings, it will still automatically join networks it already knows.

The phone automatically switches to EDGE when put to sleep anyway, it's just when you pull it out to check an SMS/etc. that it will fire up WiFi. Since the screen is off, I've yet to test whether or not it is using WiFi to check e-mail if it is available even when the phone is asleep.

Chris Grande
Senior User
Jul 3, 2007, 05:00 PM

Also it will only show you the "Join Wireless Network" dialog if you go to do something that would activaly use the internet, like open Safari or use YouTube. If you are just using the iPod for example it won't prompt you to connect to a WiFi connection, even if its found any. If you have already connected to one that it has found it will just connect you. This is very much unlike most phones that don't take into account what you are doing and provide numerous prompts to connect to found wireless networks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules