Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Help charger!

Help charger!
verity38
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 18, 2009, 09:04 AM

Hello!

Last night my AC Adapter just stopped working out of nowhere, this happens sometimes though, the charger wont work for like 24 hours and then all of a sudden it works again, I am just wondering if anyone knows what this is from?

Also, I stopped in to talk to the morons at the genius bar the other day because I am having a problem with my computer, and they couldnt help me so maybe you can!

Basically I cant go to (Google.com, youtube.com, yahoo.com, aj.com, or search for stuff in the google bar or view youtube videos) I dont know if anyone knows why this is but it happens in Firefox and in Safari. I have tried so many things. I have even done a Archived reinstall of my OS and that didnt work.

Hopefully someone can help me!!!

-Marc

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 18, 2009, 09:06 AM

Time for a new Magsafe charger and a new DNS provider.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

amazing
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2009, 11:05 AM

and if your charger sometimes works and sometimes doesn't, you may have a short--if you do, that could be pretty serious. Get a new charger!

can you get google when you're at the library or some other free wifi spot?

verity38  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 18, 2009, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by amazing View Post
and if your charger sometimes works and sometimes doesn't, you may have a short--if you do, that could be pretty serious. Get a new charger!

can you get google when you're at the library or some other free wifi spot?
Thank you, and no i can not. I have already taken it to the genius bar and the guy was retarded same with the guy on the phone they had no idea what was going on and they werent willing to really put any effort into it

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 18, 2009, 05:43 PM

First step: make sure it isn't your MacBook. My unibody has undergone two Magsafe board failures. You'll need to get either another charger, or do a bit more haggling with the geniuses.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 18, 2009, 05:47 PM

It sounds an awful lot like you tried to explain a complex issue to them and may not have been able to properly communicate. Communication takes time, patience, and respect on both ends. And respectfully, if you're calling the people who are trained and paid to help you "retarded," and "morons," can you expect them to understand what you're saying, rather than just take your computer back to the bench and figure it out themselves?

Your "some web sites don't work" issue is almost certainly a DNS problem. DNS is the system that your computer uses to look up the numeric IP address of a site based on the URL (the words like "forums.macnn.com") that you entered. DNS servers can sometimes be compromised or become outdated, and there are some things that can happen to your computer's list of the last several hundred lookups that it keeps for speed. Either of these problems WILL cause the issue you describe. Both are incredibly easy to deal with.

Finally YOUR understanding of "what was going on" may be far from the technical details of the actual problem, or for that matter "what was going on" in the store you visited. However, since they have the computer, and your complaint about it not charging consistently, they will almost certainly determine that the charger is bad and replace it. A distant contender for second place is a problem with the port on your computer, and if that's the problem (simple test: if it works with other chargers, the port's OK) it'll take longer to fix but they can do that too. If you still have the browsing problem when you get the computer back, let us know, and we can help you straighten it out - quickly and relatively painlessly.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules