Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Is it just me or is Aquisition crap?

Is it just me or is Aquisition crap?
willed
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2003, 12:42 PM

OK, so I'm on a T1 University network, and yet Aquisition doesn't really work. I do a search, find the right track, double click to download, then the program doesn't download it - it suddenly 'realises' that the 'host is offline'. This is unlikely as they just came up in the search results, and this just happened to me four times in a row! It sometimes works but it shouldn't be so unreliable.

ryju
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2003, 12:47 PM

oh gods don't get me started, i've been trying to download things for 3 days. and EVERYTIME it says "host is busy" "queued" or "host is offline" i dont even know what that means, if it can FIND the file why would the host be offline?
downloading mp3s is easy, just sort results by number of sources, works good. but downloading "other" things is a real pain unless you get alot of sources.

kovacs
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2003, 12:58 PM

Have you tried the latest version ( 0.74 ) ? This latest version now works much better when you are behind a firewall and it has an adult content filter which can be really usefull sometimes, try to search for the song girl crazy from hot chocolate and see what I mean I think I will pay for one the future updates. I am really happy with the latest version. My university doesn't even allow me to download music from gnutella, kazaa or carracho, you are one lucky basterd .

cpac
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2003, 12:59 PM

it's just you. I've had great success with Acquisition. Give it a while to get some reliable hosts, and then try downloading.

(People might severely limit uploads from their computer thereby making filled "queue" seemingly forever, or maybe like you they turn on, cant find the file they want and shut down right away, thereby going offline. - Either way, you'll want to wait until some of the hosts you have have been connected for more than a few seconds)
cpac

kovacs
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2003, 01:02 PM

Yeah you're right I always perform my first search after a few minutes of warm up time. Sometimes it helps to stop the search for a few seconds and than restart it by pressing the little magnifying glass.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2003, 01:15 PM

I started using Aquisition since version 0.7.1 and its been much better than LimeWire for me now. It connects quickly and keeps the connections, and it searchs quick and has lots of results. Only a few times do I get the host is busy error, it usually starts to download within a second or two.

Also, the interface is obviously superior to LimeWire, and not to mention its Cocoa!

biscool
Forum Regular
Jan 26, 2003, 02:01 PM

I recommend Neo. It is great, connections are really fast and becuase its not a "true" Kazaa client, pc users cant download from you

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2003, 02:22 PM

I like limewire, I can actually download stuff unlike Acquisition. I also use XNap which is quite good.
we don't have time to stop for gas

WiseWeasel
Jan 26, 2003, 05:37 PM

Well, there might be several problems.
1) Some universities block gnutella on their networks, as it saps too much bandwidth.
2) Many hosts disconnect you if you aren't sharing any files. The best way around that is to share some highly undesirable files (like apple commercials or something), so that it looks like you're not just a leech.
3) Yes, all gnutella clients need some 'warming up' time while they find reliable hosts and build up a file index to search.
I like systems, their application excepted. (George Sand, translated from French), "J'aime les syst�mes, leur application except�e."

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 26, 2003, 06:06 PM

For me, Acquisition has never been as good at downloading as Limewire. I want to like it, because the interface is far superior, but it just doesn't seem to work as well.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2003, 06:56 PM

AKcrab, tried it recentely?
Since the last update it seams to have got a lot better. I am actually managing to find and download tracks now

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2003, 07:17 PM

Two weeks ago the app got much much faster and works like a charm now.

Make sure you have the newest version and give her another spin.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Seamus
Forum Regular
Jan 27, 2003, 12:36 AM

What would be nice is if Acquisition downloaded a single file from multiple sources like Kazaa does...

Sigh...I miss Napster. That was the best.
I'm a bad...motherf%#!ing DJ

crystalthunder
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 27, 2003, 12:48 AM

Acquisition 0.74 works great for me, way better than previous versions
15" PowerBook G4 1.5 GHZ w/ 128MB VRAM
512MB DDR SDRAM 1 SODIMM
80GB 5400 RPM HD
Mac OS X 10.3.4

cpac
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2003, 01:24 AM

Originally posted by Seamus:
What would be nice is if Acquisition downloaded a single file from multiple sources like Kazaa does...

It does. (If the file is found on multiple sources) - that's what "swarm downloading" is.
cpac

Seamus
Forum Regular
Jan 27, 2003, 01:43 AM

Originally posted by cpac:
It does. (If the file is found on multiple sources) - that's what "swarm downloading" is.
Doesn't for me. I've yet to see it download from multiple sources. Even on broadband.
I'm a bad...motherf%#!ing DJ

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2003, 09:07 AM

Hmm, I have always gotten when I have searched for if I found it...

If any gnutella client sucks in the aspect of downloading, its cuz gnutella sucks.

Kazaa has a sentral server, thats why its so good, Napster had a central server, thats why it was so good, this is also why legal groups will try and take down kazaa also.

-Owl

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2003, 09:16 AM

Then how does gnutella suck? It _can't_ be taken down by legal action against a single company... or any number of companies. The primary goal of the Gnutella protocol is file sharing that works for the users, whether or not governments or the RIAA want it to. All the others will die off in the end.. gone the way of Napster, AudioGalaxy, Aimster, et al. Kazaa's parent company is dodging very fast and very skillfully - I believe their most recent tactic was to relocate to some Pacific island - but they can't dodge forever.
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

cpac
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2003, 02:17 PM

Doesn't for me. I've yet to see it download from multiple sources. Even on broadband.
Have you tried downloading a search result that shows multiple hosts?

The computer's not telepathic, and can't really tell that Yellow Ledbetter.mp3 is the same as Pearl-Jam-Yellow-Ledbetter.mp3 is the same as PJ-JEREMYSINGLE-03.mp3.

In fact, even if the files have the same exact names, their size/bitrate etc. might be different.

The result?

You might think a file is available from many hosts, but really it's a lot of similar files available from different hosts and so swarm downloading can't help.
cpac

Meteo
Jan 27, 2003, 04:48 PM

Sigh...I miss Napster. That was the best.
You are right!

Napster was, "is, and will be" the best P2P solution...
None of the current solutions is good enought to find a really rare song (even kazaa, winmx, emule, edonckey...)
On Napster, I found All the songs I searched...

and with the future solution to mnge the digital rights, it will be harder and harder to find what you look for in the next months...
"It's not a bug, it's a feature..."
I do love these guys....

fetopher
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 27, 2003, 05:07 PM

Aquisition is working for me. Even the swarm downloading. I can get most songs at 70-100kbps. Pretty nice in the post Napster era.
Me
Dual 2.6GHz Intel Xeon | 23" Apple Cinema Display | 13" MacBook | 15" AluBook 1.67 GHz | 1.42 GHz Mac mini | 50" NEC Plasma | Tiger | 80GB iPod Video | 60GB iPod photo | 4GB iPod mini | 1GB iPod shuffle | 4GB iPod nano

Forum Links
Forum Rules