Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Est. ship dates on non-edu Dual G5s?

Est. ship dates on non-edu Dual G5s?
CambAngst
Forum Regular
Aug 27, 2003, 05:16 PM

Has anyone with an existing non-edu order for a dual G5 seen their estimated ship date change? I ordered one BTO on 7/16 and my estimated ship date has read "on or before 9/25/03" (10 weeks) ever since. Now I'm reading that people placing new orders are seeing "4-6 weeks" as the lead time. If there were really 100,000 orders for G5s and half were duals, it seems as though there would be up to 50,000 orders waiting in front of those that are now being told "4-6 weeks." Any ideas?

giantmike
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 27, 2003, 06:02 PM

I have ordered a Dual from the education store, and the date has not changed. That whole issue is just a rumor.

However, I too have noticed that people ordering now (three weeks after I did), are getting estimated shipping dates a few days ahead of mine. All this can mean is Apple is ahead of schedule, and we should be getting our computers before people placing them now.
Giantmike's Website - Version 5.0

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2003, 06:15 PM

As I've said in a few of my posts, i think the est ship date is just 10 weeks, to the nearest business day, from when you ordered.

If you ordered now I assume the date given is 6weeks from that date.

Im guessing its computed automagically when you place the order, by adding the longest stated build time to the current date - thus covering Apple's ass, so that peeps wont start complaining.

revs

I ordered through the Edu store as a student order.... didn't know edu orders shipped before normal peeps... good news for me
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

CambAngst  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 27, 2003, 09:15 PM

That's the message that went out to resellers, according to an article on ThinkSecret. It seems unclear whether they mean all orders placed through the edu channel or just orders placed by institutions. There are a lot of mixed messaged floating around.

GeekyJeff
Forum Regular
Aug 27, 2003, 09:37 PM

I ordered on 6/24 and my est date is still 8/29.
Dual 2.0Ghz PM 23" Al Cinema Display
17" 1.5Ghz Al PB
17" iMac

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2003, 09:45 PM

Apple has publicly stated that certain Edu purchases will be shipped first, regardless of the order in which they were placed.

giantmike
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 27, 2003, 11:16 PM

Where is the press release?
Giantmike's Website - Version 5.0

Forum Links
Forum Rules