Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Selecting Files with Shift Key

Selecting Files with Shift Key
mhodos
Mar 27, 2004, 12:09 AM

Trying to figure out this keyboarding oddity:

In a finder list of files, if I select the first file and then hold down the shift key and arrow down, I begin to select contiguous files. If I select one (or more) file(s) too many and try to unselect them by arrowing back up, files are added to the selection from the top of the list.

Do you know what I mean?

Does this make sense?

Thanks,

Mike

...I just hate using a mouse/trackpad and really prefer to keyboard (almost) everything. Damn Windows world has ruined me.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 27, 2004, 07:52 AM

Glad to see you've switched. I believe what you've encountered is a feature and not a bug. The same action should produce the same result. You're selecting with using the shift key, and whether you're using up arrow or down arrow it should work the same way. What Apple should have provided is a converse action modifier. You should be able to hold down another modifier key in addition to shift (like shift-control) and have it deselect. Apple has not done that though. You can go to Apple's Mac OS X site and file feedback.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

mhodos  (op)
Mar 27, 2004, 08:30 AM

Thanks, Big Mac. I understand what you mean.

A modifier key would be an excellent addition. I've filed feedback.

Mike

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2004, 08:37 AM

mhodos -
I'm with you on this (tho i've never been in windows world - 20 yrs on Mac)

The obvious would be to add the Option key IMHO.
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

giantmike
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 27, 2004, 10:37 AM

If you use the command key instead of the shift key, you can select individual files (not everything in-between). Holding down the command key and clicking on an already selected file will deselect it.
Giantmike's Website - Version 5.0

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 27, 2004, 10:43 AM

Good point mike, but just for clarification the original poster is referring to keyboard-only selection/deselection. And if you press hold command while pressing the up arrow, you'll go backward in folder hierarchy; if you press command+down arrow you'll open folders/files.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules