Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G5 2.5DP video problem (help!)

G5 2.5DP video problem (help!)
pgaray
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2005, 07:23 PM

My G5 is acting very strange as of this morning. It turned on ok, and the 17" LCD connected to it will power up, but not show anything on the screen. I have no video.

I logged into the G5 from my PowerBook using ARD. Everything looked fine, so I logged into the startup screen, then proceeded on into the Finder. I checked both SATA drives, and repaired permissions on the boot drive. No problems. Then something even more strange happened: The G5's display (which I was monitoring through ARD on the PowerBook) became garbled (scrambled). This will NOT go away.

Here's what I've tried:
- Unplugging everything from the G5, then only plugging in the keyboard, mouse, and monitor
- removing the video card and then re-seating it
- zapping the P-Ram
- removing the battery and then re-seating it

I can't run the Apple Hardware System Diagnostic disc, since i can't log in through ARD when the G5 boots from any external CD or DVD.

Any suggestions?
Paul J. Garay
[email protected]

chadseld
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2005, 06:41 PM

Try a different display. Maybe the 17 LCD is the problem.
If your computer stops responding for a long time, turn it off and then back on. - Microsoft

Forum Links
Forum Rules