Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Two button mice for Mac, esp. ProTools?

Two button mice for Mac, esp. ProTools?
steamy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2006, 01:22 PM

I am relatively new to Mac universum so forgive me for asking this question..

Are 2-button mice well supported by Mac and Mac applications?

The reason I ask is that I consider getting a Mac laptop but find it hard to go back to one button mouse. (Yes using Windows, primarily, at present)

The laptop will be used for sound processing so probably ProTools will be my main app. Will that and other applications make good use of both buttons on the mouse?

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2006, 02:18 PM

2-button mice are perfect on the mac;
the right can be configured as control-click, bringing up contextual menus, etc.

some mice (my kensington, for instance) allows chording (i use this, ie pressing both buttons together) as a double-click, and i can click my scrollwheel for other options.

macs now ship with a 2 button mouse anyway (no mice come with the 'books of course)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

steamy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2006, 02:25 PM

Smashing!
thanks!

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2006, 03:16 PM

Just wanted to add: though I know not everyone likes the Apple Mighty Mouse, I've found the scroll ball invaluable in Final Cut and other timeline based apps, as it allows scolling left to right along the timeline (as well as the usual up-down scroll action).

Very, very handy when working with long timelines.

OreoCookie
Nov 21, 2006, 04:09 PM

Yes, multi-button mice are well-supported even from the very beginning of OS X. I have a one-button Apple mouse at work and a generic Logictech optical mouse at home. I don't like cordless mice, IMHO they are too heavy (which is why I will stick to the mice I have.

All three buttons of my Logitech mouse work, if there are specialized drivers for the mouse, you can program the other buttons as well.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 21, 2006, 07:00 PM

I have this tiny one I picked up at a computer show that I use with my MBP. It's GREAT to be able to get a context menu by right-clicking instead of having to hold the Control key to get the menu, and there are a lot of other interesting things you can do with it too.

The only thing I can't do (yet) is get Firefox to give me a context menu when I click on a bookmark, as it does under Windows...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules