Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > AC Jump Starter

AC Jump Starter
subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2018, 02:35 PM

I’ve only seen ones built around their own battery. Is there one which just plugs into the mains?

reader50
Administrator
Aug 25, 2018, 04:25 PM

Yes. The shop-type chargers (a box on wheels) usually include "engine start" mode, with 100A or more. Example with 200A engine start. The smaller benchtop (handheld box) chargers often include 40A - 125A engine start too, but those should be called "start assist". Anything under 200A isn't enough to start an average car without help from the battery.

If your battery runs all the way dead, you need at least a 200A assist. Or you'll have to charge awhile first. If you have 6 or 8 cylinders and a car that doesn't start on the first kick, you'll probably need more than 200 with the battery flat. Freezing temps can do that too.

On Amazon, go to car battery chargers. Search within for "engine start" and look over the models.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2018, 05:08 PM

Beautiful! That’s what I was looking for. Thank you!

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 2, 2018, 03:40 PM

The last time I needed a jump start (some oddness about software not "hibernating" my electronic parking brake and letting it pull 300mA for hours at a time with the car off), the wrecker guy toted over what looked like a medium sized lunch box. He clamped the cables to my battery and the car started like a champ. It was probably a 40A unit.

The AC powered devices I've seen have been mounted on their own wheels like a hand truck like in reader's example. The term "robust" comes to mind.

Your need for something so hefty just demands that somebody ask what your application is, so I'll ask...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2018, 05:55 PM

I have a philosophical issue with the lunchbox.

Quis lunchboxes ipsos lunchbox?

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2018, 06:05 AM

Or, just get a 200A MIG welder.

Forum Links
Forum Rules