Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Good cheap TV? (and good GC game suggestions)

Good cheap TV? (and good GC game suggestions)
Synotic
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2003, 07:29 PM

I'm looking to get a tv for my room primarily for GameCube use but also some occasional TV. I won't be needing a VCR. I have about $150 to spend on this. Any ideas on a good TV? I saw a 19" Sharp TV for $110 on Amazon which is pretty cool but I'd like some more opinions.

Also on Amazon they have a deal where if you buy two $50 GC games you can get another $50 for free. And then additional you can do the same thing with two $40 dollar games and a free one. So that said, what are three essential $50 dollar games, and three essential $40 dollar games? Also a classic $20 dollar game would be helpful. Keep in mind that these games will last me a while so just list the top three games at these particular price point, not just a list of good games.

I hope that all made sense, thanks for your time
( Last edited by Synotic; Oct 24, 2003 at 10:32 PM. )

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2003, 07:45 PM

You can get a Sanyo 20" flatscreen for about $150 at WalMart. It has S-Video, which looks great with the Game Cube.

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2003, 08:08 PM

Metroid Prime and F-Zero GX are wonderful games (and F-Zero GX has lots of replay value, provided you aren't turned off too much by extreme difficulty). Viewtiful Joe is a great $40 game.

And of course, there's the GC classic Super Smash Brothers Melee.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

Footy
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2003, 08:12 PM

Definitely go with the flat screen.

I have to say that the best game I've played in years has to be Metroid Prime. You have to get this title. Tiger Woods 2003 is a great game too that never seems to get old for me. I think 2004 will be out any day if it isn't already. Mario Sunshine is very good too, that's been out a while and is on the cheaper side. I see Mario Kart Double Dash is out. I have not gotten it yet but I can't imagine going wrong with it, specially if you'll have friends over to race against. MBL Slugfest 2004 if good too. My son and I have been battling it out.

Looking at Amazon I guess I'd go with (in order):
1.)Metroid Prime 29.99
2.)Super Mario Sunshine 29.88
3.)Tiger Woods 2003 Tour 18.88
4.)MBL Slugfest 2003 19.98
5.)Animal Crossing 29.99

I have not played MBL Slugfest 2003. I have 2004 but I don't think it would be much different. Not enough to justify the extra cost anyway.

Synotic  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2003, 10:27 PM

Originally posted by wataru:
You can get a Sanyo 20" flatscreen for about $150 at WalMart. It has S-Video, which looks great with the Game Cube.
Wow that looks really great, looks like I'll have to get that unless someone can do better...

Originally posted by Apfhex:
Metroid Prime and F-Zero GX are wonderful games (and F-Zero GX has lots of replay value, provided you aren't turned off too much by extreme difficulty). Viewtiful Joe is a great $40 game.

And of course, there's the GC classic Super Smash Brothers Melee.
I'll definitely have to get Metroid Prime and I'm also interested in a good racing game but I may have to get that later.

Originally posted by Footy:
Definitely go with the flat screen.

I have to say that the best game I've played in years has to be Metroid Prime. You have to get this title. Tiger Woods 2003 is a great game too that never seems to get old for me. I think 2004 will be out any day if it isn't already. Mario Sunshine is very good too, that's been out a while and is on the cheaper side. I see Mario Kart Double Dash is out. I have not gotten it yet but I can't imagine going wrong with it, specially if you'll have friends over to race against. MBL Slugfest 2004 if good too. My son and I have been battling it out.

Looking at Amazon I guess I'd go with (in order):
1.)Metroid Prime 29.99
2.)Super Mario Sunshine 29.88
3.)Tiger Woods 2003 Tour 18.88
4.)MBL Slugfest 2003 19.98
5.)Animal Crossing 29.99

I have not played MBL Slugfest 2003. I have 2004 but I don't think it would be much different. Not enough to justify the extra cost anyway.
I personally am not that interested in sports games, sorry I'll like into Super Mario Sunshine as my followup games though.

Do you have any suggestions in the 40, 50 dollar price range though? Amazon has a last of all their $40 dollar games and $50 dollar games. I know I want to get at least Soul Caliber II because I want a good fighting game and it looks pretty awesome. If I were to get that, that would mean I would get F-Zero GX also and then I need a third free one. Is Zelda any good? I know it was highly anticipated but I don't know how well it did.

From there I could also try to find 3 more 40 dollar games and then one 20 or 30 dollar game that could supplement it... Or I could I could spend 30 dollars on melee, then 30 on Metroid Prime and then another 30 or 20 dollar game... Pikmin?

I have about 300 dollars to juggle here and it's going either like this:

$99 GameCube
$100 Three $50 dollar games
$80 Three $40 dollar games
$20/$30 Another game

Which is $300/$310, or:

$99 GameCube
$90 Three 30 dollar games
$20 Some other game

Again about $310. I'd also be getting a 251 memory card then maybe add accessories later. I just need to figure out the perfect match of games, and have about 3 days until the Amazon deal runs out. Again, thanks for your help.

Weezer
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2003, 10:31 PM

Originally posted by Synotic:

I have about 300 dollars to juggle here and it's going either like this:

$99 GameCube
$80 Three $40 dollar games
$20/$30 Another game

Which is $300/$310, or:

$99 GameCube
$90 Three 30 dollar games
$20 Some other game

You might want to check out your math a bit...

Synotic  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2003, 10:35 PM

Originally posted by Weezer:
You might want to check out your math a bit...
Buy two get one free? Or are you talking about something else?

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 21, 2003, 10:45 PM

Zelda is brilliant. If you own a GameCube, you owe it to yourself to play Metroid and Zelda. I'd also pickup Eternal Darkness too, great game. As was mentioned above, Viewtiful Joe is a lot of fun, and don't forget that Mario Kart is coming out in November and Rogue Squadron III just came out today.

-matt

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2003, 10:56 PM

My top 5 GCN games:

1) Metroid Prime (also my second favorite of all time)
2) Viewtiful Joe (absolutely incredible. must have)
3) Time Splitters 2 (picks up in the style of Goldeneye for N64. best FPS multiplayer ever. halo can suck it)
4) Burnout 2 (great car racing game. I've played with plenty of people who say they hate racing gmaes and everyone loves this)
5) F Zero GX (challenging but dope. not great for multiplayer because it's got a pretty steep learning curve)

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2003, 11:29 PM

Originally posted by Synotic:
Wow that looks really great, looks like I'll have to get that unless someone can do better...
It's quality. Hasn't done me wrong yet The only thing that's less than perfect about it is that the on-screen menu system is kind of sparse, but that's not a big deal unless you really like menus.

As for games, I'll just throw in what I have, (and highly recommend, since I only buy excellent games ). In no specific order:
1. Metroid Prime (I bought my Cube just for this)
2. Legend of Zelda: TWW (and Ocarina of Time, if you can find it)
3. Animal Crossing (LOTS of fun)
4. Smash Brothers (best fighting game ever)
5. Super Monkey Ball 2 (strange, but fun)
6. Sonic Mega Collection
7. Soul Calibur 2

Footy
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2003, 12:49 AM

We have Smash Brothers and Zelda, son plays them all the time. Also have Time Splitters 2 (unopened since last Christmas). I need to play more, looks like I'm missing out.

We also have Sonic 2 and the mega collection. Though I have not played them I've seen my son play those two and they graphics are unbelievable.

fireside
Professional Poster
Oct 22, 2003, 01:17 AM

get:
metroid prime
zelda
ssbm

those are the greatest games ever to grace the gc. maybe f-zero if you have some cash left over. but definatly metroid or zelda.

Link
Professional Poster
Oct 22, 2003, 03:40 AM

damn I hope they hvae a good deal around the end of the year lans to join in on this one:
Aloha

Synotic  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2003, 10:34 PM

If anyone's interested I waited till the last minute to make my order with Amazon. I ordered 3 games (Zelda, Soul Caliber II, F-Zero GX) and proceeded to the checkout where I attempted to enter the promotional code. It was rejected. I then noticed that two of my fifty dollar games were automatically selected to ship through GameSpot... thus making me ineligible for the rebate. After calling Amazon, I was instructed to cancel all of the games (surprisingly during the process, three other fifty dollar games showed up that I didn't even look at! I canceled them as well). I then readded the games. Oddly enough they were now being shipped through Amazon. The rebate went through as planned. I don't know if this is malicious behavior on Amazon's part or if I somehow ordered through GameSpot on two of the three that I ordered at the exact same time (I doubt it since I simply clicked on the only "Add to shopping cart" button). Either way, if someone's looking to take advantage of this offer in the last four hours, this may be helpful. That being said I still like Amazon. My other three games are Smash Bros, TimeSplitters 2, and Metroid Prime.

Hrm, also just right now there about 10 new fifty dollar games that weren't there half an hour ago. Were there several new releases right now? Seems odd that they would add them 4 hours before the offer's expiration date.

P.S. My local WalMart has no more 20" Sanyos They supposedly have them on order. Guess I'll have to make some calls and get one on reserve.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2003, 10:54 PM

My local Wal-Mart (all three of them within 5 minutes, geez) has the 20" Sanyo flat screen TV's - but all they have is some beat up display unit and one in a box which the box is damaged and its obviously been open, and nothing in the box but the TV. I'll ask if it has the remote and if it works, if I can buy it for $80.

Link
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2003, 08:37 AM

Holy crap synotic.. you have every game I want *envy.. pure *****ing envy*

*calls a wait* <-- 20" sanyos?!?!? what?
Aloha

Footy
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2003, 11:34 AM

So did you get the games yet and how about the new TV?

Can't believe you didn't order Metroid Prime!

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2003, 12:00 AM

The 6 gamecube games i haveare probably the best video games ive ever played.. That being said, i do get a lot of sunlight (dont play too many video games):

1. Eternal Darkness (probably the most underrated game ever.... AWESOME GAME).
2. Star Wars Rogues Squadron II:Rogue Leader. (the most visually stunning video game ...behind it's sequel)
3. Metroid Prime (an evolutionary leap in video games)
4. Zelda Wind Waker. (nuff said)
5. Ocarina of time (havent played it yet)
6. Resident Evil (havent played it yet....only quib is the control system...but it's legendary).

Cheers. by the way im looking for an NTSC capable (and cheap) TV in Western Australia right now, primarily for my cube. Any recommendations ?

Forum Links
Forum Rules