Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > My legal name... (some questions)

My legal name... (some questions)
Synotic
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2005, 10:26 AM

OK, well I know there are a lot of lawyers on here and just generally Really Smart Peopleā„¢, so I figured I'd ask this question here.

So let's say my name is Scherzel Henry Dover Doe. (As a sidenote, I, when I was younger, used to sign my name S. Henry ) And let's say that I've always gone by Henry. And that in almost every form I've filled up, school I've entered, and basically anything, I've entered my name as Henry Doe. And I've never had any problems. Now let's say that I'm going to apply to colleges soon and don't know what I should put as my first name (I never put anything in the middle name field, as in Henry Dover Doe, which I'm guessing isn't a problem?). Must I absolutely put my full legal name? Even if I wanted to, there is usually only one middle name field, while I legally have two middle names. Henry for me isn't really a nickname at all, and I've never gone by Scherzel. I'd also hate, for instance, for it to be on part of e-mail address, or on the attendance lists, on anything with my name etc... I'm not looking for a name change, as Scherzel happens to be my father's name and he decided to make it my first name, but always call me by my middle name... He'd probably prefer I go by S. Henry (perhaps less so now), as it looks more "academic," but I can't see myself doing that.

OK, I realize this is a really odd question, and please excuse it's stream of thought expression (there's a lot of little details I figured might be important), but I'd like to get the online common app started, and to register you have to enter in your name, which you can't change, and I'd just like everyone's opinion on what I can legally do/should do. And maybe someone else has the same problem...

Thanks!

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2005, 11:10 AM

I've found that it depends on what State you're in. I've likewise always gone by my middle name (partially owing to my Dad and Grandfather sharing the same first name). My Drivers License listed only my Middle and Last name. When I got to College they insisted on using my Full name. It was a hassle. I'm back in school, a different school, and they want the same thing. I've found though you can put down pretty much whatever you want and they'll bend to your will. If not, oh well, it's your name, no big deal. The college isn't going to turn you away because you have more name than you can put on the app. They just want your money anyway

As for the email, attendance lists, etc, you just have to deal with it. Of course, I haven't bothered to ask anyone if I can get that stuff changed. I've found if there is a "Preferred name" field somewhere, it never makes it to a place which would be useful.

I've been through the same things The best thing you can do (which I haven't) is call the Administration folks and explain your situation.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

SVass
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2005, 11:39 AM

You can put any name on a form that you want as long as you have no intent to defraud. If you have used a particular name for years, you can continue to do so. Some birth certificates actually have spelling errors. (gasp!)

Clerks are a different matter. They can be obnoxious idiots. They have internalized rules that they claim are the "law". My parents taught me that you can lie to clerks. It is not a sin. sam

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2005, 11:59 AM

For a college app, I would use my legal name. As an example, my first name is Karlheinz, but 99% of the time I just use Karl (not that I mind my legal name, but it's just more convenient). When I send out resumes, apply for jobs, college, etc, where some permanent record is kept, I always use Karlheinz, because that's my legal name.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 2, 2005, 03:32 PM

I wouldn't worry about what name shows up on the roster for your classes; most of the time they only call the last name. And in the several times I've been involved with getting a diploma (mine and my wife's) we've been ASKED HOW WE WANT OUR NAMES SHOWN, so that's not a problem either.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Dork.
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2005, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by SVass
You can put any name on a form that you want as long as you have no intent to defraud. If you have used a particular name for years, you can continue to do so.
What he said. You're going to be just a number at college, anyway. Hopefully, not your social security number, but you never know!

tavilach
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2005, 04:17 PM

Don't believe people when they say that your name will never be called in college. There are indeed small classes, even at big universities, and in those small classes they do call your name. Sometimes daily. In one of my classes, there's a guy with a Chinese name who likes to be called Nathan. But every damned day for the first three weeks, the roster kept changing and he had to keep correcting. And you don't want to do that all the time. Personally, my real name is bearable, so I just go with the flow and don't correct people unless they'll be hearing from me a lot. But in your case, if you can't stand it, then it isn't necessariily a small matter.
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

selowitch
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2005, 12:13 PM

My brother-in-law, who is always known by his middle name, was teased mercilessly after the first day of training camp for his college baseball team when the coach called him by his seldom-used first name. His teammates called him that ever since, and he hated it.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2005, 05:07 AM

Put in what you want to be called. It does get annoying when everyone calls you something else.

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 4, 2005, 12:02 PM

i changed my name at the DMV, then Social Security. that's it. no problems or issues since.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

Forum Links
Forum Rules