Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Where Is My Mobile Os X?

Where Is My Mobile Os X?
BostonMACOSX
Forum Regular
Mar 7, 2006, 05:29 PM

Well the title says it all.
I can have PALM and WINDOWS mobile.
where is my OS X mobile.
You can't tell me they developed Intel OS X without seeing a mobile strategy.

ORAGAMI vs. ?????

Discusss....
OSX ...Plastic surgery for unix
Boston Area Consulting
http://rjhcc.dyndns.biz
http://bostonmacosx.dyndns.org

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2006, 05:36 PM

Here's "Your Mobile Os X":

Originally Posted by BostonMACOSX
I can have PALM and WINDOWS mobile.
Then get one.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2006, 05:46 PM

Step 1: Buy OS X in a box
Step 2: Put it in a plastic bag
Step 3: Et voila: OS X mobile !

-t

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2006, 06:33 PM

You just have to wait. The iWalk is coming Any Day Now (TM).

But seriously, I'd love to see a Apple smartphone with built in .Mac syncing over wifi or your cell phone providers data service.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Salty
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2006, 08:51 PM

I think the future of OS X as a mobile platform would be more of a thin client tablet. Imagine being able to connect to your Mac over a wireless network from anywhere in a house or over a large lan. Or even connect to it through .mac, finally make the service truly worth it.
Anyway there certainly are uses for a mobile tablet... just perhaps not enough uses to make it worth developing.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2006, 09:22 PM

Teeny-tiny mobile devices featuring full fledged versions of OS X or whatever are just some geeky pipe dream. Just b/c we have the technology to make personal computing devices incredibly small doesn't mean they suddenly become practical or needed. Why on earth would you need or want to use your Mac on a 5" screen? Who cares what it can do.

The future of mobile technology is small devices which perform very specific tasks.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2006, 10:09 PM

My Visor just sits there on a shelf gathering dust. Has for damn near 5 years.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 8, 2006, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by greenamp
The future of mobile technology is small devices which perform very specific tasks.
Egh, I'm pretty happy with my small device which performs just about any task.

I used to subscribe to that theory, and still do with respect to mobile video, but after acquiring my latest phone it's pretty hard to not change your mind. No, WM5 certainly isn't anything approaching a mobile Mac OS, but it's probably one of the best versions of Windows if for no other reason than that it's the most stripped-down version out of necessity.

I have to say that it's rare I run into anything that I cant do with it. A couple gigs of removable storage means I can store/watch movies and tv shows, with Orb you can (for free no less) stream any recorded media OR live TV from yoru home PC to the phone over the high-speed internet connection. I can sync, over the air, with my Exchange server at work so any email sent there is within 10 seconds mirrored on my phone and mail i send from the phone is saved on the Exchange box as Sent mail. Thats in addition to checking 5 POP mailboxes. Then there are VPN solutons, Google Virtual Earth for Pocket PC, RSS reader for the Today screen, FTP client and HTML editor for remote site maintenance...There's even a Webcam app for the builtin camera that takes a shot photo and instantly FTPs it to my Webspace which is pretty damn useful.

All that crap aside, here is what I've found to be absolutely, totally indispensable. I already have tons of music stored on it for car listening via the audio out jack, BUT, with a P2P program called PocketG2 (virtually all of this software is free by the way), I can want a song, search for and download it over the air (fast!) and then play it with the MP3 app I already have.

So that's where I think the potential is to really differentiate a convergence device from an iPod etc. It's great that I can tote around muzak and listen to it at will. But take a piece of gear with THAT ability and add on the ability to at will pull music out of the air and play it, thats a real killer app.

euchomai
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2006, 11:50 AM

Is the future a small tablet type PC or Mac? Is this what everyone will have? I hope not, I hate the tablet form and I hate moving a pen all over the screen.

Forum Links
Forum Rules