Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Page Setup -- Preview

Page Setup -- Preview
Timo
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2006, 03:28 PM

In my workflow I distill from a windows program drawings that I print with Preview. For whatever reason Preview in my set up always defaults to default (8 1/2 x 11") rather than what I set the file's attribute to be. This means I have to reset the paper size of each drawing every time I open the .pdfs to print them.

If I set another paper size default then, obviously, all of my letter sized correspondence doesn't work.

Is there a way to "save" the Page Setup Attribute for each drawing (I don't want to change the default) -- or should I be using something other than Preview for printing?

TIA

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 22, 2006, 05:33 PM

Preview's (and Adobe Reader's) page setup dialog doesn't grab the page size from the PDF because the PDF's size may not even exist on your printer. Page Setup can't be set to a size your printer can't do -- the available values are those provided by the print driver. Never mind that page sizes in PDFs need not even be consistent: if you make, say, a book layout in InDesign, the spreads will not be on the same size as the first page, since it won't be a spread.

This is pretty normal behavior for applications. If it's impossible for an app to consistently make correct assumptions, it's better that it make no assumptions at all and let you set it.

tooki

Timo  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2006, 10:50 AM

Thanks, Took. I'm happy to set it, but somehow, the setting doesn't stick, such that when I re-open the .pdf saved for 11x17 it defaults to 8 1/2 x 11".

I guess I'm surprised -- if this computer can, e.g., search out other iTunes libraries on a network you would think it could save a format for printing to each file.

SMacTech
Mac Elite
May 23, 2006, 10:58 AM

In the printer Page Setup dialog, click the Settings drop-down menu and select Save as Default after setting the page size and setup you want as the default. It is the only way it is going to stick. Then change it to another Preset later.

Forum Links
Forum Rules