Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Base station does not prompt for password

Base station does not prompt for password
jszrules
Senior User
Nov 3, 2012, 04:16 PM

Hi, I set a base station password for my Airport Extreme, but Airport Utility rarely prompts for the password when I click to edit the base station settings. The one time it did request a password, the keychain remained open anyway. Is there a way to make this more secure? Thanks,

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2012, 04:33 PM

The Airport Utility will save the basestation password to your keychain for your convenience. No-one else will be able to get into the station without that password. If you are concerned with someone getting into the station from your user account on your laptop, then you can delete it from your keychain but I would think you'd have other things to worry about first if that is the case.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

jszrules  (op)
Senior User
Nov 4, 2012, 03:54 PM

Thanks for the reply, and I agree with your point. However, the reason this made me concerned is the ability in Airport Utility to see Base Station --> Show Passwords. Even if the keychain is unlocked, I would still expect another layer of protection before simply revealing the actual base station passwords to the user.

Forum Links
Forum Rules