Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Older voicemails lost during iPhone upgrade

Older voicemails lost during iPhone upgrade
jszrules
Senior User
Nov 17, 2014, 05:21 PM

Recently upgraded from an iPhone 5 to an iPhone 6 on AT&T, both running iOS 8.1. I restored from an iCloud backup which worked fine. (I also made an iTunes backup just in case, but never restored from it). The iPhone 5 had over 100 visual voicemails dating back for over a year. After activating the iPhone 6, I noticed only my most recent 12 visual voicemails appeared on the new phone. When I hold 1 to dial voicemail the old way, I can only hear the 12 voicemails, which I assume means that the other 100 voicemails are no longer on AT&T servers either.

I've spoken with both Apple and AT&T support about this multiple times, both in stores and over the phone, and keep getting different answers.

Apple has said voicemail is entirely the responsibility of the carrier and Apple has nothing to do with them.

One AT&T employee said that this is expected when activating a new phone and I should have received a warning that not all voicemails will transfer. Another employee has said this is not true, and that all voicemails should transfer, and that I can retrieve all my voicemails from an iTunes backup, but not an iCloud backup.

Does anyone know what is true and how I can get these voicemails back? I can still play all 100+ voicemails via visual voicemail on my deactivated iPhone 5, so they exist somewhere!

Thanks.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 20, 2014, 08:04 AM

I don't know what is "true," but I have never lost Visual Voicemails when moving from one iPhone to another, including my relatively recent move from a 4s to a 5s.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules