Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Anyone get "digital cable"? My tale of woe

Anyone get "digital cable"? My tale of woe
CaseCom
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2004, 05:59 PM

I had problems with my old cable converter box recently and had to replace it with a new one. Comcast said they don't use the old boxes anymore, so they gave me a new "digital" converter box. It's made by Motorola and it's bigger, about the size of a DVD player. Not sure what's "digital" about it, but it can receive digital-tier channels up above 100 that the old one couldn't. And they gave me a free trial of their "basic digital" tier, with BBC America, ESPN News, IFC, Noggin, etc.

Here's the problem: My picture with the new box is just not as good. Whites and other bright colors are oversaturated and washed-out. I tried adjusting the contrast and brightness on my TV (a Samsung circa 1996, not high-end but it has a pretty good picture), but no dice.

When I disconnect the box and plug the cable directly to the TV, I get a good picture again. But then I can't get the digital channels. I had a cable guy out to look at it, but he couldn't adjust the signal and said he couldn't tell the difference in the picture anyway.

Could be just a bad box, I suppose. But my inclination now is to just get rid of the box (saving $5 a month in the process), cancel the free trial and go back to standard cable, with no box. I don't get HBO or any other channels that would need to be unscrambled by a box.

Anyone else had a similar experience? Advice?

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2004, 07:14 PM

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Link
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2004, 07:25 PM

Yuck. Our biggest problem with comcast is they charge too damn much for everything (especially regular cable) -- something like $40 a month for only basic stuff, and most of the channels they provide are full of crap we don't watch anyway *sigh*
Aloha

Maneki Neko
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 12, 2004, 03:07 AM

I have digital cable, and notice the compression artifacts.

I would've preferred to stay with my old boxless setup, but my cable company seems to be moving to digital only if you want premium channels (hbo, etc.)

CaseCom  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2004, 03:25 AM

Originally posted by starman:
http://www.avsforum.com
Starman: I owe you a beer.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=421950

Forum Links
Forum Rules