Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Slow printing on Canon i550

Slow printing on Canon i550
Synotic
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2004, 01:15 AM

I've lived with this for a while, but I figured someone might be able to help me. The actual printing speed of my printer is generally reasonable, i.e. once the ink is actually applied to the page. The problem is that usually I have to wait a couple minutes for the printer to "start up". And then in between pages I have to wait about 2 minutes. The documents I print are usually 2 to 3 page basic Word documents, so they aren't exceptionally large. Printing a blank page in TextEdit is slow as well.

I have a 1.25 GHz Aluminum PowerBook with 1.25 GB of RAM. I previously used the printer with a 1GHz TiBook with 1GB of RAM and experienced the same startup and between page delay. I remember initially that it's startup and inpage delay were rather short. The problem has spanned two computers, so I'm not sure what the problem is exactly. I don't print particularly often, but something like 20 minutes for a 7 page Word document is rather painful, so I'd like to get this rectified, thanks for any help.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2004, 02:11 AM

Go into the printer utility and check if some page drying setting is on ( I forgt the exact name).

That purposely puts delays between prints to allow the page to dry.

As for the startup, All inkjets take time to tun on the first time, you can try silent mode which I think skips the cleaning stage.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Forum Links
Forum Rules