Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Can't buy an iBook for one little reason...

Can't buy an iBook for one little reason...
Jasoco
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2004, 01:19 AM

I want a SuperDrive.

I want a 12" Display.

I do NOT want a 14" display if it's the same resolution as the 12" display. (You can understand that, right? I like the 12" because it's tiny. I look at the 14" and it's huge in comparison. If it had a higher resolution, I'd absolutely consider it, but at the same resolution, it's just an iBook with Gigantism to me.)

Therefore, I cannot buy a G4 iBook because I cannot get a SuperDrive on the 12" model.

Can someone tell me why, just why Apple feels the need to not make it BTO on the 12" model? All it takes is a simple $200 addition. Combo Drive upgrade to SuperDrive. I want my iBook G4 to come with a nice small compact form factor, DVD burning capabilities and iDVD.

Is that too much to ask? Honestly, is it that much of a problem for Apple to provide a SuperDrive option on the smaller model? I have a G3 iBook, I want to upgrade next year, and I am this close to buying a nice cheap iBook, but with no 12" SuperDrive option, my plans are screwed. Will Apple ever offer a SuperDrive on the 12" model? $1550 after AppleCare, HD upgrade and addition of SuperDrive is a price I could only dream of, but of course, Apple doesn't want to let me have what I want. I can't afford a PowerBook. Though, I'd love a 12" PB, and the iBook is just the right price. But with no SuperDrive (And I've decided after much thought, I MUST have a SuperDrive, and I will NEVER get a 14" oversized iBook.) I just can't do it.

I am praying Apple decides to allow it by the time I get my tax return next year. Please don't let me down, Apple.

A Ghost Is Born
Forum Regular
Dec 2, 2004, 01:30 AM

Just spend a little more cash on a powerbook? or an external burner?

i know it would be nice but that would really blur the ibook and powerbook lines.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2004, 02:10 AM

If you are not willing to spend any more money, not even 80 bucks(probably what an external burner would cost). then maybe you can get a one generation old powerbook for the price of an ibook.

Jasoco  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2004, 06:57 PM

Thank's for the replies, let's address them..

If Apple added a SuperDrive option to the iBook 12", it would be $200 more. So in total (Not including Tax) it would cost $1523. A PowerBook would cost $2148. AppleCare for the iBook is $100 less than the PB, but I'd still end up spending $70 more to get a 60GB HD. $600 would take me forever to save up. I don't have Credit, I am 25 and have no credit line. So I have to save up CASH for these things. Just like I did my last three Macs. (Of course, one was $100 and the another was only $500. But the last one was $1300.)

An external burner is out of the question. Apple doesn't support them. Or do they? Last I heard, the answer was NO, not only that, but the computer wouldn't come with iDVD, would it? And I'm not gonna pirate it. I'd rather it came with the computer, and I'd much rather have it all in one. It's a 'Book. It's supposed to be portable. I don't wanna carry around a separate burner. Even if I had the software and everything, I'd much rather have it AIO.

Lastly, I'd much rather stick with a current generation model. (At the time.) But I will absolutely keep my eye out at the time for a ready to buy better speced older generation PB. (No eBay though. I don't buy my main computers off eBay. Only secondary machines. Heck, I didn't even get this computer off eBay, bought it from a friend. Maybe I just don't trust eBay anymore. I dunno.)

To me, it makes no sense at all to not allow a BTO option for the 12". It's like they don't like the 12" anymore. The whole point of the iBook was originally to be nice and small. Then they added that atrocity called the 14" iBook and have been ignoring the original cutie-pie, the 12".

If I COULD, I would consider the 12" PowerBook more. Hell, if I COULD, I'd go for the 15" as I'd much rather have a glowing keyboard and higher resolution. But sadly, I am not in the money as they say. So I have to work for my toys before I buy them rather than after. And with hour cuts in January for the beginning of next year, I'm gonna be relying on my Tax return and the $600 I get when I sell my iMac to my brother. (Who is currently using the 333 Bondi I got for $100 on eBay that I mentioned above. Still working great too, but he really needs something newer.) I like the metal look more, but I also like the white. So either one will work for me. It's all a matter of price and features.

I guess it all depends on what's available when the time comes. I probably won't even do the purchasing until at least March. When do the iBooks usually get updates? When was its last update? I hear the PB will get an update in January. Maybe I'll get lucky and find a current generation cheaper then. But right now, the only feasible option for me is the 12" iBook. Unless I somehow miraculously come into about $600 more before January.

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2004, 06:57 PM

Trust me, you ain't the only one. When I ordered my iBook I was looking for a BTO option but got pretty pissed when I realized there wasn't any BTO option for superdrives for the 12" iBook.
I ordered either way, the only way to burn DVDs now is an external Firewire or USB 2.0 burner. But hey, I figured that's better anyway - it's cheaper than BTO and I don't really need a DVD burner when at college.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

villalobos
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2004, 07:23 PM

Hopefully this link will work. it's a refurbished powerbook with a superdrive for $1549. AppleCare is still $100 extra than the iBook one.

Not as cheap as an iBook, but a little bit faster, a little lighter, a little bit thinner. it's in the Special Deals section of the Apple Store, in case the link above does not work.

villa

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2004, 07:29 PM

See, that's the point. It's still 500 bucks more than the 12" iBook - in my opinion, that's pretty much for a superdrive (of course assuming that one doesn't need the extra performance (which won't be noticeable anyway) or harddrive space). 11% higher CPU frequency results in ~5% overall performance increasement which means you won't be able to notice it at all.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

MARINEOSX
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 2, 2004, 08:02 PM

It has better video as well doesn't it?
Bless those that sacrifice for us all.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2004, 08:10 PM

Every Mac computer comes with iDVD. I got a Combo 15 inch PB and it still came with iDVD.
iamwhor3hay

MARINEOSX
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 2, 2004, 08:17 PM

Thats true I believe. My friend got the 1ghz iBook about 4 months ago and it had iDVD on it. That was from apple as well and he didn't have a superdrive.
Bless those that sacrifice for us all.

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 2, 2004, 08:25 PM

Yeah I think all current macs come with iDVD. I know my 15" 1.5ghz combo BTO did... and I don't have a superdrive. External firewire burner suits me fine!
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

mbryda
Senior User
Dec 3, 2004, 05:12 PM

Just buy the 12" PB:

12" iBook with 60GB (1.2Ghz) = $1074
12" PowerBook (1.3Ghz) $1,799

It's $600 more, but you get a faster machine (1.3 vs 1.2) with better graphics...

NYK Ace
Senior User
Dec 3, 2004, 05:25 PM

buy one from newegg for 150 and have it professionally installed so you dont void your warrenty and there you go. i have a superdrive in my 12" iBook, i just installed it myself though. works great

_Farmer_Ted
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2004, 12:57 AM

Originally posted by NYK Ace:
buy one from newegg for 150 and have it professionally installed so you dont void your warrenty and there you go. i have a superdrive in my 12" iBook, i just installed it myself though. works great

but will it be compatible with the idvd software???.....I'm in the same boat as this fella. The apple salesman said that if i bought an external dvd/r that the software wouldnt match up

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2004, 01:39 AM

It depends which model you buy

_Farmer_Ted
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2004, 10:32 AM

Originally posted by macaddict0001:
It depends which model you buy
im looking at the 1.2ghz m9623 12"

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 5, 2004, 11:16 AM

Why doesn't any computer manufacturer put a DVD burner on their cheapest machines? Oh ya, because they want to use DVD burners to get people to buy the more expensive machines!

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2004, 01:12 PM

Originally posted by _Farmer_Ted:
im looking at the 1.2ghz m9623 12"
i meant which model of dvd burner.

_Farmer_Ted
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2004, 02:48 PM

Originally posted by macaddict0001:
i meant which model of dvd burner.
well that makes sense...i guess i would have to make sure the one i get works!!!

NYK Ace
Senior User
Dec 5, 2004, 05:06 PM

the one i put it works with iDVD, just burned 4 DVD's off it last night. it was pumpin through them.

heres the drive:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...133-004&depa=0

you just need to install patch-burn 3.0 and it works in all iApps

_Farmer_Ted
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2004, 05:39 PM

Originally posted by NYK Ace:
the one i put it works with iDVD, just burned 4 DVD's off it last night. it was pumpin through them.

heres the drive:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...133-004&depa=0

you just need to install patch-burn 3.0 and it works in all iApps

thanks....and Go Bills!!!

NYK Ace
Senior User
Dec 5, 2004, 07:06 PM

Originally posted by _Farmer_Ted:
thanks....and Go Bills!!!

hahaha definitely!

Forum Links
Forum Rules