Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Swearing at the office?

Swearing at the office?
Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2005, 07:30 PM

I just checked my local station site and this caught into my eyes, A Book To Help Stop Swearing? About Flippin' Time...

The place I used to work with, none of them used any foul language.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2005, 07:40 PM

Oh yeah, most definitely at my office.

Kilbey
Baninated
May 3, 2005, 07:42 PM

The language where I work is horrendous. Sometimes I think they don't understand me if I don't use profanity.

Even in meetings hosted by the president of our plant people have used everykind of foul type of language.

I find it extremely disrespectful.

Now of course, I expect every kind of technique to bypass the profanity filters in this thread.

itistoday
Professional Poster
May 3, 2005, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Kilbey
The language where I work is horrendous. Sometimes I think they don't understand me if I don't use profanity.

Even in meetings hosted by the president of our plant people have used everykind of foul type of language.

I find it extremely disrespectful.

Now of course, I expect every kind of technique to bypass the profanity filters in this thread.
You know, this just caught my eye, but I don't really like your mother fucking signature.

Sorry, couldn't resist. (Serious about the sig though, wtf?)
( Last edited by itistoday; May 3, 2005 at 07:59 PM. Reason: I noticed that the ol' <b></b> trick doesn't work anymore. Too bad it couldn't handle nested ones though. :D)

Kilbey
Baninated
May 3, 2005, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by itistoday
You know, this just caught my eye, but I don't really like your mother fucking signature.

Sorry, couldn't resist. (Serious about the sig though, wtf?)
My sig? I believe it. You don't like it? Looks like you suffer everytime I post.

There a lot of people here with offensive sigs. Nobody seems to really care. Hit the report button if you are truly bothered by it. Let me know what the mods tell you.

itistoday
Professional Poster
May 3, 2005, 08:35 PM

My sig? I believe it. You don't like it? Looks like you suffer everytime I post.

There a lot of people here with offensive sigs. Nobody seems to really care. Hit the report button if you are truly bothered by it. Let me know what the mods tell you.
It's just that the absurdity of it compelled me to reply. But don't worry, I won't lose any sleep over it I promise.

Kilbey
Baninated
May 3, 2005, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by itistoday
It's just that the absurdity of it compelled me to reply. But don't worry, I won't lose any sleep over it I promise.

That's good then.

I don't like you sig either. I think it's stupid and petty. And has a bit of "absurdity" in it too.

I sleep like a rock. No worries here.

itistoday
Professional Poster
May 3, 2005, 08:43 PM

That's good then.

I don't like you sig either. I think it's stupid and petty. And has a bit of "absurdity" in it too.

I sleep like a rock. No worries here.
Well alright then.

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
May 3, 2005, 09:48 PM

Yeah, I worked at a GM plant onec and the language was terrible.
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

Zimphire
Baninated
May 3, 2005, 10:20 PM

Kilbey is someone with Glaucoma smoking joints a menace to the world?

awaspaas
Mac Elite
May 3, 2005, 10:56 PM

Obviously all people with glaucoma should be locked up forever, regardless of whether they smoke joints or not.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2005, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by Zimphire
Zimph... I mean come on... I think the answer to that is obvious... YES...

Zimphire
Baninated
May 4, 2005, 12:58 AM

Well I know someone who has glaucoma since he was 4 (He is 46 now, and blind) and smokes pot from time to time when he can't tolerate the pressure anymore.

He would do anything for anyone, would give you the shirt off his back.

I have empathy for the man.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
May 4, 2005, 02:08 AM

Yes, and lots of it. Never has bothered me, never will. I can't understand why so many people are so uptight about swearing.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2005, 07:04 AM

I once worked in the same building as a girl/woman/b*tch who complained to management that we were swearing too much in the lab. So after getting reprimanded/instructed not to swear as much, we started saying "bleep" instead of swearing. She actually went and complained about that too, saying "They're saying 'bleep' all the time, and I know what it means."

They told her to shut up.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

kemuri
May 4, 2005, 07:14 AM

I encourage people to be themselves at our office, and if that includes swearing, so be it. Although, we do tone it down on occasions.
Will you be voting in liars and murderers come May 5th? The US screwed up by voting in their very own little genocidal maniac. Will you? If Labour's own members are in disarray about the Iraq war, what does that tell you?

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
May 4, 2005, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh
I once worked in the same building as a girl/woman/b*tch who complained to management that we were swearing too much in the lab. So after getting reprimanded/instructed not to swear as much, we started saying "bleep" instead of swearing. She actually went and complained about that too, saying "They're saying 'bleep' all the time, and I know what it means."

They told her to shut up.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 4, 2005, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Gankdawg
Yes, and lots of it. Never has bothered me, never will. I can't understand why so many people are so uptight about swearing.
Nor do I. Swear words are just words - combinations of letters, combinations of sounds. How can the use of some words be offensive, and the use of others not? I don't get it. It's the meaning behind the words that can be offensive, and a meaning/intention can be just as offensive, hurtful, and cruel with the prettiest and most politically correct of words; whereas someone using swear words constantly can have not a malicious thought in his head, he just uses these words as intensifiers, or just completely naturally. I swear all the time, but I never do it with any kind of malicious intent, and as far as I know, very few people have ever taken offence to it

Of course there are limits to this - it's not particularly nice to call someone a fucking btch, even if you mean it in the sweetest of ways, because these are not swear words that can normally be used loosely. They tend to keep their 'original' (ie. offensive and hurtful) meanings. A lot of it, of course, also depends on whether you're talking to someone you know well or not. If someone I don't know at all calls me sh*t-for-brains, I don't think I'd be exactly thrilled, but when my father does it, I don't care, 'cause I know that's just the way we have of speaking to each other, and there's no malice or vicious intents to it.

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2005, 07:54 AM

ZIm, the sig says illegal drugs. Medicinal marijuana can be issued by a doctor though new studies cast questions on marijuana's impact. More than anything, it relieves symptoms. And by that argument, any person getting medical treatment deserves a dime bag.

On-topic: Working in the newspaper business, you can't help but hear cursing.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
May 4, 2005, 08:22 AM

Most labs I've worked in have been pretty civil places... until hardware doesn't work or some shipper is late with needed parts/supplies/what have you... then we usually let fly.

Yes, lab techs do curse things out...

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

nforcer
Mac Elite
May 4, 2005, 09:54 AM

When I run an office, I think I am going to require a certain amount of swearing from all employees.
Genius. You know who.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2005, 10:01 AM

I sleep like a rock.
He has a GM sig and said "like a rock"

I get it.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2005, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by subego
He has a GM sig and said "like a rock"
I get it.

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2005, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by nforcer
When I run for office, I think I am going to require a certain amount of swearing from all government employees.
Fixinated !

-t

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2005, 04:48 PM

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

James L
Mac Elite
May 4, 2005, 05:02 PM

Only if the world runs out of ketchup chips and other assorted munchies.

Forum Links
Forum Rules