Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Elgato Turbo.264

Elgato Turbo.264
Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2007, 06:14 PM

The same company which bought us EyeTV, now it offers Turbo.264. It's a hardware based h.264 encoder via USB 2.0 for $100. Well, I do a lot of h.264 encoding, but not for Apple TV, iPod, or the Sony PSP device.

After reading all the FAQs, I'm likely to get one. Meanwhile, I had no prior experience with elgato, how's the support and hardware/software quality?

nerd
Senior User
May 16, 2007, 06:55 PM

I have no experience with them but that screen shot that says 22fps scares me. My quad MacPro gets 55fps in Handbrake when encoding DVDs. Thing is they're also comparing it to Apple's h.264 encoder which is really slow compared to ffmpeg, etc.

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2007, 07:20 PM

Looks like a rebadged ADS Instant Video To Go with a higher price.

Kenneth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2007, 12:21 AM

I read about that ADS product over on the HandBrake forum. Anyway, adstech.com is extremely difficult to find the exact product. I noticed the 22 fps screenshot as well.

My DP G5 2.0 w/2.5GB of Ram can get ~16 fps under HandBrake (PS3 preset). I guess I'm gonna make my decision after reading some reviews or real world testing.

nerd
Senior User
May 31, 2007, 08:36 PM

I just got my Turbo.264 in today and here's some quick tests. I did all these tests on a 1:43 long DV clip. I chose this clip because I was already comparing the speed of x.264 over h.264. The last 2 will probably be the ones of interest to you guys.

MacPro Quad 2.66 Quicktime export using x.264, 2 pass, level 3, 3mb/s, 4 worker threads took 1:34 to compress. Just to note this is slightly faster then realtime.

MacBook Pro 1.83 CoreDuo x.264 with same settings as the MacPro but with 2 worker threads took 5:12.

MacBook Pro export to Apple TV from Quicktime Player took 6:02.

MacBook Pro using the Turbo.264 export to Apple TV option took 2:02.

I'm still a fan of the x264 codec but that's because I need to maintain interlaced video for what I use it for. The quality is better with x264 as well but I think you would need to be pretty picky. I work in broadcast so I am.

Apple's h.264 codec is way slow so I have a feeling the Turbo.264 will help out with the eyeTV exports on the MacPro. If your on anything less then the MacPro then I would say you'll speed up your encoding. I'll report back when I do some eyeTV benchmarks with it.

nerd
Senior User
Jun 1, 2007, 01:41 AM

Okay, the same DV clip on my MacPro: Reminder I'm doing all this with QuickTime, not the Turbo.264 application.

MacPro export to AppleTV took 2:08.

MacPro export to AppleTV via Turbo.264 took 3:08 WHEN plugged into a PCI USB Card. I have 2 USB video capture devices on here so maybe those were saturating the cards USB controller a bit.

MacPro export to AppleTV via Turbo.264 with internal USB took 1:58.

So the Turbo.264 edges out the QuickTime on the MacPro but not the x264 codec.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 1, 2007, 01:56 PM

You have to try it connected to a motherboard usb port with no storage devices connected.

nerd
Senior User
Jun 2, 2007, 02:38 PM

That's what I did with the internal USB, it's the built in on the MacPro.

Forum Links
Forum Rules