Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > ATI X800 "green dots" problem... anyone?

ATI X800 "green dots" problem... anyone?
daiSho
Forum Regular
Mar 21, 2005, 11:01 PM

hi all... i recently got my ATI X800 last week from MacMall, it is currently installed in my rev.A 1.6GHz G5 Powermac and i am getting a very bad graphic artifact near constantly w/ the card... i get this odd effect of "crawling green dots" at random areas of the screen, soometimes its just in one area, other times its mixed in and flickering w/in a complex graphic image... video is near unwatchable due to the massive amount of green dots flickering all throughout the video.

is anyone else experiencing this problem w/ the X800? i see some mention of it over in the Apple discussion groups, but many there seem to think its a symptom of the X800 overheating... this couldn't be the case for me i don't think, as i see the problem all the time, not just under any sort of load or gaming... my single processor 1.6GHz does not run hot, and my office is kept at an icy temperature (68f?)... anyone have any input w/ this problem, or possible resolution? i'm planning on calling up ATI tomorrow as it stands..

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2005, 11:27 PM

Had a similar issue with an oem 9600 in my rev.A dual 2GHz G5, except I had blue pixel anomalies. Problem was a shot video card. Sux that it is a new X800. What a pita.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Link
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2005, 11:33 PM

My g4's gf4mx does that gonna have to replace it one of these days >_<
Aloha

MORT A POTTY
Senior User
Mar 21, 2005, 11:34 PM

that sucks.

possibly running too hot? get a better cooler for it

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2005, 11:48 PM

There is a new X800 XT ROM Xtender file from ATI, released today, which claims to fix the wake-from-sleep green pixel artifacts & corruption.

Perhaps the original poster should try it.

See xlr8yourmac.com for more details.

BTW, I had green pixel artifacts on my secondary display until I rebooted a second time. Been working fine since.

daiSho  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 21, 2005, 11:51 PM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
There is a new X800 XT ROM Xtender file from ATI, released today, which claims to fix the wake-from-sleep green pixel artifacts & corruption.

Perhaps the original poster should try it.

See xlr8yourmac.com for more details.

BTW, I had green pixel artifacts on my secondary display until I rebooted a second time. Been working fine since.
heading over there right now, thx Cadaver! will post my results...

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2005, 08:03 AM

Let us know,
I just received my X800 myself while I have not seen any artifacts, I admitedly only had an hour to play with it. I'll be able to see how this baby is tonight.

FWIW, I was playing UT2k4 under best quality and it looked awesome and performance was great. I didn't get any fps, as I was just toying with the various settings and applications.

A really nice card - but then for the price you expect that.

Mike

MORT A POTTY
Senior User
Mar 22, 2005, 09:48 AM

Originally posted by Maflynn:
Let us know,
I just received my X800 myself while I have not seen any artifacts, I admitedly only had an hour to play with it. I'll be able to see how this baby is tonight.

FWIW, I was playing UT2k4 under best quality and it looked awesome and performance was great. I didn't get any fps, as I was just toying with the various settings and applications.

A really nice card - but then for the price you expect that.

Mike
well, UT2K4 is somewhat processor limited anyway, so I'd expect a G5 to be able to handle it very well anyway, but yeah, the card is the best option for a GPU at this point, especially compared against the nVidia high-end cards which take up twice as much space and preform worse. they're longer too... a lot longer.

but, I'm glad you like it

OldCodger73
Mar 22, 2005, 04:35 PM

<<There is a new X800 XT ROM Xtender file from ATI, released today, which claims to fix the wake-from-sleep green pixel artifacts & corruption.>>

There are several reports on the Apple Disscussion Board that the fix does indeed work.
PM G5 Dual 2.5, 3.5GB RAM, 160GB & 250GB HDs, Formac 17" FPD, 20" Dell 2005FPW
TiBook 867 1GB RAM, 80GB HD, Formac 20" FPD
PM G4 Dual 450; 1.25GB RAM, 30GB & 80 GB HDs

daiSho  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 23, 2005, 12:33 AM

Originally posted by OldCodger73:
<<There is a new X800 XT ROM Xtender file from ATI, released today, which claims to fix the wake-from-sleep green pixel artifacts & corruption.>>

There are several reports on the Apple Disscussion Board that the fix does indeed work.
just wanting to report in... after installing the new ROM Xtender last night, i haven't seen the green artifact problem yet, after about 6 hours total in front of the machine offf and on... hopefully they are gone for good..!

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2005, 10:02 AM

Originally posted by MORT A POTTY:
well, UT2K4 is somewhat processor limited anyway, so I'd expect a G5 to be able to handle it very well anyway, but yeah, the card is the best option for a GPU at this point, especially compared against the nVidia high-end cards which take up twice as much space and preform worse.
Granted I'm on a DP2.5GHz machine, but I happily run UT2K4 at 4xFSAA, 16xAF, 1600x1200 resolution, every detail setting on highest... and its smooth as glass.

Doom 3 on the other hand... (actually, with shadows off, I get close to 60 fps).

Leonard
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2005, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by daiSho:
just wanting to report in... after installing the new ROM Xtender last night, i haven't seen the green artifact problem yet, after about 6 hours total in front of the machine offf and on... hopefully they are gone for good..!
That's good news, I hope they stay away.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

action
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 23, 2005, 06:39 PM

hello,

my x800 is experiencing the green artifacts.

can anyone post a link to the rom extender?

the newest one i can find on the ati site is from 10/04 and there is no link to the rom
on xlr8yourmac.

thanks for your help and i hope this fixes it.

chung lee

a2daj
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2005, 07:53 PM

action
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 24, 2005, 12:57 AM

thank you for the link. i was able to download the rom via the second link. the one from the xlr8 link takes you to the ati page i went to before but was not able to locate the rom file.

additianal info. i do not sleep my computer but i noticed the green artifacts after using fast switching to another account.

thanks again for the help.

chung lee

daiSho  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 24, 2005, 01:24 AM

just to confirm for others, the recent 'ROM Xtender' linked to over at xlr8yourmac does appear to have fixed the green-dot issue w/ my recently acquired X800... its been 24 hours now and i haven't seen any more of the artifacts, hopefully they are gone for good..!

Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2005, 06:25 AM

Wow that's crazy! Green dots! I was going to suggest reinstalling the card... as it might have not been seated properly... but I guess it's the rom... I hope I don't have that issue once I get my 9800!

Forum Links
Forum Rules