Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Ram for G5

Ram for G5
Kris.K
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2005, 07:56 AM

Hi!

I ordered 2 X 512's from a dealer who insisted they would fit my PowerMac G5, dual 2.0ghz, but I sure as hell can't make them fit into the dimm slots, or rather; the ejectors won't close around them. I am using plenty force here too, and I am afraid to press them in any harder.

The 512's are of this type:

Crucial PC3200 DDR-DIMM 512MB CL3 5ns Unbuffered, Non-parity, 2.5V, 64Meg x 64

Am I doing something wrong or did the seller make a mistake here!

Thanks for input!

Peace out,

K

mediahound
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 8, 2005, 10:40 AM

I don't know for sure, but you may have received 'stacked' RAM. Instead of a single 512MB chip, they put two 256s back to back on one chip, which makes the chip thicker. Not sure why else it wouldn't fit.

cnelson87
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2005, 03:33 PM

Oh yeah, I had a HELL of a time getting RAM into my new G5. I thought I was going to crack the motherboard it was so tight. But it went in. I recommend clearing your work space so you have plenty of room, if just to breathe, and good lighting.
I originally tried to install it sitting on the floor with the G5 tower under my desk. Hey, why not? That's how I did everything with the 'ol G4 tower. I could swap out a PCI card in the dark. But no, you will need a solid workspace and adequate lighting. Good luck.

daiSho
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2005, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by cnelson87
Oh yeah, I had a HELL of a time getting RAM into my new G5. I thought I was going to crack the motherboard it was so tight. But it went in. I recommend clearing your work space so you have plenty of room, if just to breathe, and good lighting.
I originally tried to install it sitting on the floor with the G5 tower under my desk. Hey, why not? That's how I did everything with the 'ol G4 tower. I could swap out a PCI card in the dark. But no, you will need a solid workspace and adequate lighting. Good luck.
ditto... from my first rev.1 dual 2GHz to my most recent dual 2.7GHz Powermac i have found it takes a truly frightening amount of force to seat the memory modules into their slots... the first time around i really thought the motherboard was going to crack as i literally have to put some weight behind my hands during insertion. i guess the PCB is made of tough-stuff though, despite the scary noise they make as they finally seat i haven't had a problem yet in regards to damage to the system FWIW..

Kris.K  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2005, 06:21 AM

Wow!

I actually made it work! Thanks a lot for sound advice folks! Brute force ****ing rules big time!

K.K

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2005, 07:28 AM

Same here, I was surprised (read scared) at how much force I had to use to insert those babies. I thought for sure I was going to crack the motherboard.

Mike

P
Sep 9, 2005, 10:03 AM

Me three, on an iMac G5. Those things are damn tight!

Forum Links
Forum Rules