Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The plot from a movie is playing out in the L.A. streets right now

The plot from a movie is playing out in the L.A. streets right now
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 7, 2013, 04:48 PM

Ex-cop wages 'war' against former colleagues - CNN.com

A former Los Angeles cop with military training waged war with his former colleagues Thursday. Police said one officer was dead.
Jittery police searched a huge swath of southern California -- from San Diego to Los Angeles -- for Christopher Jordan Dorner. He's a 270-pound former Navy lieutenant professing a mighty beef against LAPD officers he claimed ruined his life by forcing him out of his dream job.
Police also were on edge Thursday in Torrance, California, where Los Angeles Police Chief Charlie Beck said LAPD officers guarding one of Dorner's alleged targets mistakenly opened fire on a blue pickup truck that resembled one Dorner is said to be driving.
The gunfire left two people wounded, Beck said. Torrance police also fired on another blue pickup, but no one was injured in that incident, according to a senior law enforcement source.
Chris Dorner manifesto | abc7.com

I know most of you who personally know me are in disbelief to hear from media reports that I am suspected of committing such horrendous murders and have taken drastic and shocking actions in the last couple of days. You are saying to yourself that this is completely out of character of the man you knew who always wore a smile wherever he was seen. I know I will be villified by the LAPD and the media. Unfortunately, this is a necessary evil that I do not enjoy but must partake and complete for substantial change to occur within the LAPD and reclaim my name. The department has not changed since the Rampart and Rodney King days. It has gotten worse. The consent decree should never have been lifted. The only thing that has evolved from the consent decree is those officers involved in the Rampart scandal and Rodney King incidents have since promoted to supervisor, commanders, and command staff, and executive positions.
From 2/05 to 1/09 I saw some of the most vile things humans can inflict on others as a police officer in Los Angeles. Unfortunately, it wasn't in the streets of LA. It was in the confounds of LAPD police stations and shops (cruisers). The enemy combatants in LA are not the citizens and suspects, it's the police officers.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants-xx. This quote is not directed toward the US government which I fully support 100%. This is toward the LAPD who can not monitor itself. The consent decree should not have been lifted, ever.
There's lots more and his manifesto ends with the most surreal of goodbyes (not included in this article for some reason). The guy has lost all perspective, but the LAPD is doing nothing to improve it's image right now.

They did this to pick-up truck matching the description of his that turned out to have two women inside delivering newspapers.

gradient
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2013, 05:39 PM

Wow. His manifesto is well written and believable, too, which makes this even scarier.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 7, 2013, 05:42 PM

Yeah, the guy might have a legit gripe but his solution is incredibly worse.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2013, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
They did this to pick-up truck matching the description of his that turned out to have two women inside delivering newspapers.
Shoot first ask questions later.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2013, 06:13 PM

One hopes that this will change things.

But I doubt it.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2013, 06:20 PM

I was hoping the movie was Tron.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

gradient
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2013, 08:24 PM

Yeah, the guy might have a legit gripe but his solution is incredibly worse.
No doubt a terrible and tragic solution, but "worse" is debatable...sadly.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2013, 02:52 AM

If only he hadn't begun his revenge spree by killing innocent people. Kinda nullifies any point he might have had.

If he was cool he would have had his manifesto/album credits sent out after he'd exacted his revenge* on the people who'd actually wronged him.

* or died trying.

As it stands, Hollywood won't touch this without a major rewrite. Dude wrote his own story and it was a bit rubbish. What you need is a Manifesto Workshop to improve your average McNutob scripts into something blockbuster worthy.

"You have me monologuing"

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2013, 10:36 AM

I suspect that LAPD has a bigger problem with corruption than a lot of other police departments - and I'd imagine the same is the case in New York and Chicago. The department is enormous, which makes it a hell of a lot easier for the assholes to continue being assholes.

What's sad is how many people are (a) rallying behind this crazed murderer and (b) insisting that this situation proves that most cops are bad, cops can't be trusted, and they're all just on a power trip so they can abuse people at will.

I've known some lifelong cops, both in Indiana and Virginia. They're amazing guys who willingly put their lives on the line every single day in order to protect their citizens. We don't need to lump the majority of cops in the US in with the bad ones. That accomplishes nothing.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 8, 2013, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Face Ache View Post
If only he hadn't begun his revenge spree by killing innocent people. Kinda nullifies any point he might have had.
Yeah it kills his credibility... and then the cops light up a similar truck without confirming who's inside and you kind of see his point.

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
What's sad is how many people are (a) rallying behind this crazed murderer
I'm hoping/thinking these are people who didn't take the time to read all the facts and circumstances. They don't know he targeted innocents and is being non-discretionary regarding his police targets. They probably imagine a Terminator that's only hunting down corrupt cops.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 8, 2013, 11:05 AM

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 8, 2013, 01:19 PM

Most important part of the manifesto:

Cyclist, I have no problem sharing the road with you. But, at least go the ****ing speed limit posted or get off the road!!! That is a feasible request. Livestrong you fraudulent assholes.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 8, 2013, 04:26 PM

gradient
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2013, 04:40 PM

Insane. Got a link? I can't find this online easily.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 8, 2013, 04:56 PM

I rechecked the GAF thread I got if from, and no, so take it with a grain (or mill) of salt. Particularly since that track is so not a blue nissan titan.

gradient
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2013, 05:07 PM

I rechecked the GAF thread I got if from, and no, so take it with a grain (or mill) of salt. Particularly since that track is so not a blue nissan titan.
Ah.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 8, 2013, 05:23 PM

Odd, it's on the wikipedia page (of course there's a wikipedia page) but a quick command-f didn't turn up the word honda in both articles sourced.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2013, 05:29 PM

Wow, there's some serious burying and retcon in action on this. It's crazy.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

gradient
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2013, 07:09 PM

Odd, it's on the wikipedia page (of course there's a wikipedia page) but a quick command-f didn't turn up the word honda in both articles sourced.
Hmm. A reporter on CNN last night did mention that police opened fire on a second vehicle driven by innocents, but didn't mention anything about a ramming and certainly didn't make it sound quite as serious (I guess when is being shot at not serious) as the picture you posted. They could easily have been going out of their way to downplay the mayhem going on, of course.

gradient
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2013, 07:17 PM

It's legit:

Torrance
( Al Seib / Los Angeles Times / February 7, 2013 )
Torrance police work the scene where a dark Honda pickup truck was shot at while driving on Flagler Lane just south of Beryl Street in Redondo Beach.
It's image 44 in this photo gallery from the LA times:

Manhunt for ex-LAPD officer - latimes.com

Same location, just a different angle. Even from this different angle, you can see where the rear driver-side wheel has been ripped backwards.

Edit: It's not image 44 anymore, they are adding photos to that gallery so it's getting pushed back and is image 47 as of right now.
( Last edited by gradient; Feb 8, 2013 at 09:05 PM. )

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2013, 07:25 PM

After reading the entire manifesto ....

Do I think this guy has a legitimate gripe with the LAPD? Yep.

Do I think the LAPD railroaded him out of the department because he violated the "Blue Wall of Silence"? Yep.

Do I think this guy has gone off the deep end? Yep.

Do I think his actions are justified? Nope.

Do I think there will be a lot of bodies dropping among the LAPD if they don't catch him soon? Yep.

Wow. Just wow.

OAW

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2013, 10:40 PM

It's not justified, but it appears to be somewhat understandable.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2013, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
It's not justified, but it appears to be somewhat understandable.
I totally agree with this.

Sealobo
Feb 10, 2013, 12:13 AM

This dude needs help.

It's tough acting alone. Hard to get supplies and shit, you know.

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2013, 09:48 PM

After seeing how they've gone after those trucks with innocent people I have to wonder who the more insane people/person really is.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2013, 10:20 PM

**** the LAPD....opening fire on two women? Just **** them.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 11, 2013, 01:30 AM

Yeah, if he does nothing else, he's revealed their fear and incompetence. It's a shame he started the way he did.
- Thomas Paine

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 11, 2013, 11:22 AM

So they're going to replace the couples truck they they shot up to hell. How generous of them.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2013, 03:44 PM

I'd guess that they're not taking chances. If they see a vehicle that matches the description, they're likely to disable the vehicle as quickly as possible rather than risk the possibility that it's being driven by Dorner and he's going to slip through their fingers if they don't take action.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 11, 2013, 04:43 PM

How many more 7 and 8 digit lawsuits can LA afford to lose or settle?
- Thomas Paine

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2013, 04:52 PM

I'd like to see those officers brought up on charges. They won't, though. Thin blue line and all that.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 11, 2013, 05:42 PM

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2013, 07:05 PM

LAPD:
That's exactly what dorner would say! Blast him!

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2013, 07:23 PM

Can't say that I blame the brother ....

OAW

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2013, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post

OAW
I'd be legit scared for my life if I were him. Hope he doesn't drive a truck!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 12, 2013, 05:36 PM

Uh, looks like they found him. Shits going down, reading officers down. Might be the final shootout from the forum thread I'm reading. Sounds horrific.

cgc
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2013, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post

OAW
Reminds me of Buggs Bunny and Daffy Duck with Elmer Fudd:

"It's rabbit season, it's duck season, it's rabbit season...etc."
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes." Frank Drebin, Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2013, 07:20 PM

Uh, looks like they found him. Shits going down, reading officers down. Might be the final shootout from the forum thread I'm reading. Sounds horrific.
Yeah it's definitely going down. I suspect dude isn't giving up without a helluva fight. Reports are already saying that there have been "hundreds of rounds fired".

OAW

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 12, 2013, 08:03 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 12, 2013, 08:06 PM

Just read 4chan is trying to order pizza to the cabin.
I shouldn't of, but I loled.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2013, 08:59 PM

And a live feed from people listening in on the police scanners (updates automatically):

reddit-stream

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2013, 09:15 PM

Dorner was shot and killed by a sniper?

edit: Nope, rumor
( Last edited by Laminar; Feb 12, 2013 at 09:56 PM. )

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2013, 11:46 PM

At least this was more compelling than the worthless, and predictable, SotUA.
- Thomas Paine

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 13, 2013, 12:50 AM

More adrenaline?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 13, 2013, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
At least this was more compelling than the worthless, and predictable, SotUA.
Not a fan of clapping?

I suppose it may have been more compelling, but that was mostly on rumor and misinformation. If you just dismissed all info that didn't give you predictable, common sense answers, it was pretty dull.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 13, 2013, 01:52 PM

...and there's still the matter of the police possibly burning Dorner in the cabin on purpose to even be mentioned...

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2013, 05:02 PM

...and there's still the matter of the police possibly burning Dorner in the cabin on purpose to even be mentioned...
I heard there were two hispanic women in the cabin. Same dif, right LAPD?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 13, 2013, 05:10 PM

Different cabin.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2013, 05:11 PM

Not a fan of clapping?

I suppose it may have been more compelling, but that was mostly on rumor and misinformation. If you just dismissed all info that didn't give you predictable, common sense answers, it was pretty dull.
I wasn't in the mood for the usual presidential dog and pony show from the "good reverend". I know the state of the union better than he, I don't need to be told.
- Thomas Paine

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2013, 05:11 PM

Newspapers are a dangerous weapon. Just ask a fly.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Forum Links
Forum Rules