Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Bell Canada and Telus (both currently CDMA) to carry iPhone soon.

Bell Canada and Telus (both currently CDMA) to carry iPhone soon.
Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2009, 10:40 AM

Bell, Telus confirm iPhone launches - The Globe and Mail

So, presumably partially because the phones on CDMA suck, Bell and Telus have been building a GSM network. Well, they've finally announced they'll be carrying the iPhone. It took 'em long enough, but finally they've come around.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2009, 12:14 PM

About time too. Competition is a good thing.

Having said that, Rogers, as much as people like to hate them, have pretty rock solid service. Even out east, in Cape Breton, we had a connection more often than we would have expected it.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2009, 12:32 PM

Good.

This now gives me leverage with Rogers retentions.

I ordered a 3GS in July and was supposed to get the promo price, but they cancelled the order without letting me know. So I waited 2 months knowing they were on backorder to find out I had no order.

Retentions said too bad I lost out on the promo, but after a lot of bitching, they decided I could get the promo price only if I bought the iPhone outright then they would credit my account.

That still puts me out 500 off the bat.

This may fix things nicely.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2009, 12:35 PM

If Verizon carries the iPhone, that could be good for Apple. If someone wants to change carriers from Verizon to, say, Sprint, they'll have to buy a brand new iPhone. If they want to change Sprint to Virgin Mobile, they'll have to buy yet another iPhone. If they're not happy with Virgin and want Metro PCS, they have to buy yet another iPhone.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2009, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
About time too. Competition is a good thing.

Having said that, Rogers, as much as people like to hate them, have pretty rock solid service. Even out east, in Cape Breton, we had a connection more often than we would have expected it.
3G data service is bad in Toronto. I've found it's better in smaller centres in Ontario. Too much congestion in Toronto I guess.

I've been told it's better on the 3Gs in Toronto, but I don't usually see the congestion issues on my 3G in places like London, Ontario.

Voice has almost never been an issue for me though here.

dzp111
Senior User
Oct 6, 2009, 02:08 PM

I knew it was a matter of time but honestly didn't think it'd be this soon.

I wonder if the packages/rates will be competitive enough to switch. I've never been a Rogers' fan, they're just too expensive. Nighttime hours start at 9 p.m? That's one of my biggest beefs right there.
( Last edited by dzp111; Oct 6, 2009 at 04:27 PM. )
.................................................. .................................................. ..................................www.DNCH.com

.................................................. .................................................. .......................www.daniel.poirier.com

Phileas
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2009, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
3G data service is bad in Toronto.
Can't say I've made the same experience. 3G seems fast and reliable to me.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2009, 10:35 PM

I find 3G service to be spotty in Toronto. When I'm home, sometimes the network just vanishes for no reason and doesn't come back for hours.

I guess Bell and Telus decided to spend some money before they lost more customers.

Forum Links
Forum Rules