Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > How to beat Mario 3 in just 11 minutes

How to beat Mario 3 in just 11 minutes (Page 2)
limepi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2003, 01:46 AM

he *was* cheating. not with a gg, though.

his site:

http://soramimi.egoism.jp/emu.htm

(pardon my translation; i'm not japanese)

q: are you cheating?
a: yes i am. i used an emulator to slow the speed down to 50%. i also reloaded several times while making the movie. i saved before dangerous parts so i could reload if i screwed up. i didn't *mean* to make people think that they could get this good by practicing for real! guess i should have been more clear about this.

q: why didn't any hands grab you in the whirlpools in world 8?
a: i avoided it by choosing frames where the hand didn't come out.

q: in 1-3, how did you get to the flute w/o falling behind the white block?
a: i held the controller down-right. i wasn't holding it straight down. if you look carefully i *do* fall behind it at the right edge.

q: the timer gets faster and slower.
a: i dropped frames when scrolling. especially when P-dashing.

q: in the first tank level, weren't u hit by a wrench before the ? block?
a: the emulator only records my controls, i think that you can understand this. it looks suspicious, but i didn't get hit. i know, it was a miracle.

q: in the second tank level, aren't you hit by a cannonball?
a: see above. it's a trick in the game system. i don't really get it myself but outside the screen it looks like the game is more forgiving.

q: you can kill bowser with fireballs?
a: boom-boom takes 5, bowser 35.

q: (this was mentioned here) why didn't you go for the star in 8-1?
a: cuz it would take too long.

q: in the last part of 8 fortress, wouldn't it have been faster to come out of the wall? (??? i don't know what this means...)
a: no, so i chose not to.
Pi is exactly 3!

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2003, 02:47 AM

Originally posted by Oneota:
I remember being in a Super Mario 3 contest when I was a kid, and thinking that the judging was going to be by something other than the score. Naturally, it wasn't, and some loser won by taking advantage of that place in the second or third level where you can just jump on enemies when they come out of the pipe and rack up huge points.

Sorry, but that ain't skill. I was, at the time, able to get mid-way through World 8 in the 10 minutes we were alotted, and thought that showed a heck of a lot more skill than being able to jump repetitively.

Alas, the guy holding down "A" for 10 minutes won because his score was higher. Dumbass contest.

...But I'm not bitter, or anything...
what was that movie with the kid from the wonder years, and the mario 3 contest at the end. there was some retared kid who killed at videogames... the wizard?

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2003, 03:14 AM

Originally posted by scaught:
well. its at the end of 3-1, and i think theres a point in world 7 where you can do it too.

on the original SMB for nes, you can bounce to get like 5 or 13 extra guys, then it stops.

on hte super mario all stars version, you can bounce all damned day.
That's not quite right, you weren't limited to 5 or 13 lives... it counted from 1-10 then all of the alphabet, then it went on to strange characters. If you went past the max number of allowable lives you could play until you died and then you would get a game over.

What about the negative world (level -1)? Anyone remember that? You got to it from level 1-2 by breaking the 2nd and third brick away from the end, then crouching on the pipe and jumping into the wall while still crouching. You would walk through the wall and come to the warp pipes that took you to level 5 or to level -1. Level -1 sucked... water forever. If you came to the pipe at the end of the level it would just take you back to the begining of the level (without reseting your time) and you could never get out of the level. it was cool that it was there, but it sucked being there.

anyway, those were great games.

Brien
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2003, 03:26 AM

Is there a smily for peeing ones pants??

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2003, 03:45 AM

Originally posted by torsoboy:
That's not quite right, you weren't limited to 5 or 13 lives... it counted from 1-10 then all of the alphabet, then it went on to strange characters. If you went past the max number of allowable lives you could play until you died and then you would get a game over..
well. in the original NES version, when you started the hop on the turtle, you would hop long enough to get like 5 or 13 1-ups, then it would stop, and you would have to start the hop thing again. maybe i wasnt clear. in the original version, you couldnt just hop on the turtle "indefinitely", i think in the SNES remake you could hop indefinitely, thats what im trying to get at....maybe that makes more sense. or maybe ive been doing it wrong all these years

but ya. i remember that weird "dont get too many lives" glitch thing. i dont actually know how many lives you could get without causing that thing. how many lives do you need anyway?

Oneota
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2003, 09:13 AM

Originally posted by scaught:
how many lives do you need anyway?
I think we all need at least one more than we currently have!
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

sideus
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2003, 05:48 PM

entrox
Senior User
Dec 22, 2003, 06:21 PM

Well, he admits it on his website, doesn't he? The URL is at the end of the video if I remember correctly. You just need to speak Japanese

Forum Links
Forum Rules