Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Translation of crash log

Translation of crash log
Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 26, 2010, 09:13 AM

(Not sure whether this should go in the OS X forum or the Applications forum)

I’m trying to install a dictionary app. It says it’s in Beta, so expect bugs—no problem, I’ll expect bugs.

But the app won’t start up at all. It just bounces in the dock and then crashes. For most purposes, I’d say I have a pretty standard, non-modded version on 10.4.11 (the app says it’s Tiger-compatible) running on an Intel Mac Pro (not sure which model exactly—purchased September 2007), fully updated.

It generates a crash log, but apart from the part where it says that thread 0 crashed, most of the crash log is unintelligible to me. Could someone smarter than me take a quick peek and tell me if it gives any obvious clues to what the cause of the crashes might be? Crash log is here.

Would be much appreciated.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2010, 09:42 AM

Sorry, can't help.

Thread 0 Crashed:
0 libSystem.B.dylib
This is a pretty generic error, Google is full of crashes of various apps with that error.

Perhaps it's a compatibility issue with OS X 10.4 and Intel Macs.
Most testing for OS X 10.4 would be done using old PPC Macs, because that's likely the only machines that don't get upgraded to Leopard or SL.

-t

Atheist
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2010, 10:10 AM

Looks to me like it's crashing while attempting to access a resource in the application bundle. Did you rename the application? Maybe they've got something hard-coded in there.

Oisín  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 26, 2010, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
Looks to me like it's crashing while attempting to access a resource in the application bundle. Did you rename the application? Maybe they've got something hard-coded in there.
Nope, I didn’t. It starts fine in Leopard (hadn’t thought to try that before just now, duh), so it must be an Intel/Tiger combination issue, I’m guessing.

Sent an e-mail off to their support, anyways.

Thanks, guys.

Forum Links
Forum Rules