Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > TCP/IP over FireWire PR3 now available at ADC

TCP/IP over FireWire PR3 now available at ADC (Page 2)
BJPirt
Dec 5, 2002, 07:00 AM

Testing transferring files between mac and windows probably isn't the best idea for finding the max speed of the connection.

i have a wallstreet G3 which unfortunately only has a 10Mbit ethernet port and when transferring files between mac and windows, it is only approximately half used. However, this speeds up with appleshare between two macs. The fastest, however, is ftp between any platforms. Try this and it might be a better indication.

cheers,
BJPirt

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2002, 07:46 AM

Originally posted by biscuit:
Just a quickie, slightly off-topic:

Can I use a standard cross-over cable to link two Macs with Gbit ethernet? What sort of speeds would one expect then?

biscuit
A cat 5 cable can achieve gigabit speeds but not reliably. You'd need to use a Cat6 crossover cable to get good gigabit speeds.

Cipher13
Dec 5, 2002, 09:23 AM

Originally posted by biscuit:
Just a quickie, slightly off-topic:

Can I use a standard cross-over cable to link two Macs with Gbit ethernet? What sort of speeds would one expect then?

biscuit
You don't need a crossover cable - the NIC's autosense.

Speedwise? No idea.

biscuit
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 5, 2002, 10:15 AM

Originally posted by ShotgunEd:

A cat 5 cable can achieve gigabit speeds but not reliably. You'd need to use a Cat6 crossover cable to get good gigabit speeds.
Originally posted by Cipher13:

You don't need a crossover cable - the NIC's autosense.
So I don't need a crossover cable, but I'd probably get faster speeds with one. Interesting, I thought the days of just sticking a cable between two Macs to network them were over...

Thanks all

biscuit

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2002, 01:37 AM

Originally posted by Surfer:
WARNING!!!!

Read this before you attempt this!!!!!

http://www.macgo.net/forum/showthrea...2582#post12582
Apple has pulled this proggie.

sniffer
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2002, 08:19 AM

Read some deep going article ones comparing gb ethernet versus firewire, and if I remember correctly gb ethernet was closer to firewire than 1000mb transfer in real life usage. unfortunately I can't verify for sure what was said, since I don't remember where I putted the magasine with the article.. But it seems like the value in fireware is mostly its pricetag with smaller networks.

Sniffer gone old-school sig

jwblase
Senior User
Dec 12, 2002, 02:35 PM

Would the TCP/IP over Firewire offer any advantages for clustering computers rather than ethernet? This might be a hardware issue, but imagine a tray of XServes linked together over a FirewireTCP/IP network.

Would there be benefits? Disadvantages?

JB
---------------------------
"Time will tell. It always does."
-The Doctor

boardsurfer
Dec 12, 2002, 04:12 PM

i have been trying out the IP over FW thing. Just as a test I transfered a 77MB folder between two iMacs directly connected. FW= 51 seconds. Ethernet= 45 seconds. (iMac 800 and iMac 500) I wonder why they pulled it? I havent had any problems so far, but my network activity isnt exactly hectic.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2002, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by boardsurfer:
I wonder why they pulled it? I havent had any problems so far, but my network activity isnt exactly hectic.
If the reports of fried Firewire ports are true, tehn that'd be a good reason.

Guy Incognito
Banned
Dec 12, 2002, 08:11 PM

Would there be a way to use firewire and ethernet in conjunction and thus increase bandwidth? Or does that require a clever packet-assembler/disassembler program.

(I have no clue what I'm talking about.)

boardsurfer
Dec 12, 2002, 10:32 PM

Originally posted by Guy Incognito:
Would there be a way to use firewire and ethernet in conjunction and thus increase bandwidth? Or does that require a clever packet-assembler/disassembler program.

(I have no clue what I'm talking about.)
dont worry, it sounded good.

I have since gone back to the good ole Ethernet and removed the firewire thing altogether. No sense in frying ports.

absmiths
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2002, 02:50 PM

Originally posted by Surfer:
WARNING!!!!

Read this before you attempt this!!!!!

http://www.macgo.net/forum/showthrea...2582#post12582
I'm not sure I believe this. First, I have connected my TiBook to many different Macs through the firewire cable before this release and there were never any power problems. Second, I doubt seriously that this release changed FireWire in any way - it more than likely just created a new ethernet device which uses the firewire interface to send data over.

At any rate, take this with a grain of salt. Granted, I haven't connected my laptop with a firewire cable to a desktop machine since I installed this software, but I still don't expect a fried port as a result.

Target Disk Mode is still a supported feature of the PowerBook line, so I don't see how this could change being able to connect a firewire cable from the laptop to a desktop.

Forum Links
Forum Rules