Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight (Page 5)
freudling
Banned
Jul 28, 2008, 10:03 PM

No, Burton's was way more mythical and dark. Period.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2008, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
There is no period. It's just your opinion. You didn't like it. Everyone else on the planet did. It really doesn't matter and it surely isn't worth all this going around in circles.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2008, 11:46 PM

I liked it. a lot. and i don't see many movies in the theatre.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 29, 2008, 01:04 AM

Now you're just fishing.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

PlacidTubs
Forum Regular
Jul 29, 2008, 06:44 AM

It may have been more dark visually, but it was much more fun and campy in tone than The Dark Knight, which was so much darker in virtually every other way.

Arty50
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2008, 08:23 AM

Mythical and dark /= futuristic. With the exception of the Batmobile and Batwing, all of the vehicles in that movie were contemporary. And the Batvehicles weren't so much futuristic as they were cartoonish.

Batman's toys in the new series are more realistic looking, as they should be given the fact these movies cover the beginnings of the Batman universe. They're still quite cutting edge though.

PlacidTubs said it best though. The tone of this movie was far darker than any previous Batman flick.

Don't get me wrong. I still love the Burton Bat movies. But the past two have been superior in my mind. Less cartoonish, more realistic, and much darker in tone. Cartoonish is why I hated the Kilmer and Clooney movies amongst other reasons. Burton struck a nice balance.
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 29, 2008, 12:01 PM

James L
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2008, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by jawbone54 View Post

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 29, 2008, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Welcome to Page 4.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 29, 2008, 02:46 PM

Crap.
Oh, well.

*shame*

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2008, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Helmling View Post

The best movie, obviously, but more, so much more, I tell him.
Bullshyt. No post 1970's movie can ever be, not those gutsy sort of filmmaker people around anymore.

PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2008, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Powerbook View Post
Bullshyt. No post 1970's movie can ever be, not those gutsy sort of filmmaker people around anymore.

PB.
go to www.dictionary.com and look up "hyperbole"

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 29, 2008, 04:30 PM

So just to be clear... Joker mixed up the locations of where Dent and Rachel was on purpose just to **** with him right?

If so I was thinking that the detonators for the boat might have blown up the boat the were on and not the other.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2008, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Arty50 View Post
Mythical and dark /= futuristic. With the exception of the Batmobile and Batwing, all of the vehicles in that movie were contemporary. And the Batvehicles weren't so much futuristic as they were cartoonish.

Batman's toys in the new series are more realistic looking, as they should be given the fact these movies cover the beginnings of the Batman universe. They're still quite cutting edge though.

PlacidTubs said it best though. The tone of this movie was far darker than any previous Batman flick.

Don't get me wrong. I still love the Burton Bat movies. But the past two have been superior in my mind. Less cartoonish, more realistic, and much darker in tone. Cartoonish is why I hated the Kilmer and Clooney movies amongst other reasons. Burton struck a nice balance.
Burton's were so different, it really is an apples to oranges situation. The psychology he was exploring was so different, the atmosphere he was trying to acheive was so different. For me, Batman Returns really came unhinged and went to too many different places with far too exaggerated performances. It was much more Tim Burton than the first Batman.

Now the new ones are, for me, operating on a whole other playing field than any "superhero" movie made before.

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2008, 04:43 PM

The best movie, obviously, but more, so much more, I tell him.

go to www.dictionary.com and look up "hyperbole"
Right...

PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Jul 29, 2008, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
If so I was thinking that the detonators for the boat might have blown up the boat the were on and not the other.
I thought that, too.

My wife and I are going to see it again this weekend.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 29, 2008, 05:03 PM

So just to be clear... Joker mixed up the locations of where Dent and Rachel was on purpose just to **** with him right?

That's what I thought too. I figured the "civilized" boat was going to try and kill the convicts but would wind up killing itself instead.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 29, 2008, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
That's what I thought too. I figured the "civilized" boat was going to try and kill the convicts but would wind up killing itself instead.
Ditto.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jul 29, 2008, 06:44 PM

Now the new ones are, for me, operating on a whole other playing field than any "superhero" movie made before.
I agree with this; the difference is I don't think that's a good thing.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 29, 2008, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
And leave the surviving boat smugly self-satisfied that they made the right decision when they see it? That doesn't really sound like his style. It seems like he really wants the survivors of his games to be totally crushed, not vindicated.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2008, 09:23 PM

Just saw it at iMax.

Wow.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

shmerek
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2008, 06:07 AM

I thought it was terrible the acting in the first five minutes had me cringing and most of these guys are usually really good. Yes Ledger's portrayal was great but as a whole it was pretty hokey even for a super hero movie

freudling
Banned
Aug 1, 2008, 11:35 AM

shmerek

Of course I agree. The problem is the script just horribly trite. Even those stupid rants by the Joker were too much.

PlacidTubs
Forum Regular
Aug 1, 2008, 02:50 PM

I love some people's attempts to make up reasons not to like this film, just so they can be seen as a bit different. Some people think Citizen Kane is crap. Not everyone can have good taste.

A fantastic piece of work, and I hope it influences more sumer blockbusters like Begins did. With the money it made I'm sure it will.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 1, 2008, 11:01 PM

I concur. The only people who dislike this film, in my observations, are the ones who pride themselves on being special and unique. If they don't stand out, they're miserable. I imagine these are the same people who rate DK a 1 on IMDB. So, we can figure, based on the IMDB numbers, that ~3% of humans can't agree with the majority... no matter how overwhelming it may be.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

shmerek
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2008, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
I concur. The only people who dislike this film, in my observations, are the ones who pride themselves on being special and unique. If they don't stand out, they're miserable. I imagine these are the same people who rate DK a 1 on IMDB. So, we can figure, based on the IMDB numbers, that ~3% of humans can't agree with the majority... no matter how overwhelming it may be.
So just because I don't agree I am trying to stand out? Does that hold true for anyone who ever has a differing opinion than the masses? I suppose all mac users would fall into this category then seeing as we are roughly around your quoted percentage? We just want to be different and because the majority of people use windows it must be superior to os x

I went expecting to enjoy it and was giggling at how awful it was especially at the start. The whole sequence with the armored motorcade was laughable especially the dialogue from the guy riding shotgun, made me cringe. None of this had anything to do with me wanting to be "different" it was a reaction to what I was seeing. The motorcycle sequence was pretty lame too the tires were so fat there was no way he could corner on that thing I was doing my best to suspend disbelief but man... The majority of the dialogue was terrible even for a superhero movie but I guess you are right I am just trying to be different I can't possibly have an actual opinion of my own.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2008, 01:21 AM

and then they act defensive when you point it out.
- Thomas Paine

shmerek
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2008, 02:39 AM

and then they act defensive when you point it out.
So let me get this straight. You can pass judgement however you see fit and if I make a reference back to it about what I didn't like about the movie (as well as poking a hole in your logic) I am getting defensive?

I have another theory as to why so many people liked the movie and a few didn't: the majority of people are borderline retarded and wouldn't know a good movie if it bit them in the arse.

freudling
Banned
Aug 2, 2008, 02:44 AM

The Dark Knight Sucks. Period. That's great that many of you on here like it, but some don't. I had no intention of not liking it, and, in fact, I did not mind the first Batman with Bale (2005?). This one just plain sucks.

Uriel
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2008, 03:43 AM

Your opinion is not a fact, period.

I don't even care either way and I normally just lurk but your coming across as overly combative.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2008, 03:53 AM

I'm loving this. As you become more defensive, the movie starts getting worse and worse. Face it, you enjoy not liking it more than the rest of us enjoy liking it.

I have another theory as to why so many people liked the movie and a few didn't: the majority of people are borderline retarded and wouldn't know a good movie if it bit them in the arse.
Or, as was pointed out earlier, those few who say it "sucked" simply have impaired taste.

This fella I know says he hated it, argued (loudly) that it was complete and utter garbage. Although, he also admitted to seeing it twice. But then, just about everyone who knows him claims he's an extreme attention whore, so I guess that may play into it.
- Thomas Paine

shmerek
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2008, 06:12 AM

I'm loving this. As you become more defensive, the movie starts getting worse and worse. Face it, you enjoy not liking it more than the rest of us enjoy liking it.

Or, as was pointed out earlier, those few who say it "sucked" simply have impaired taste.

This fella I know says he hated it, argued (loudly) that it was complete and utter garbage. Although, he also admitted to seeing it twice. But then, just about everyone who knows him claims he's an extreme attention whore, so I guess that may play into it.
you must have me confused with someone else I stated what I thought of it once and that was it.

As per 'enjoying' not liking it.. bollocks I don't care either way. I just saying what I thought there is no other investment in the critique. As per impaired taste who the **** are you the taste police? whatever.

freudling
Banned
Aug 2, 2008, 12:44 PM

shmerek:

Welcome to MacNN today, bunches of dogmatic Nerds that operate in groups. I don't like the film for no other reason than because it sucked in every way. What I can't get over is how people actually like/love it. Of course this is my opinion, but the "period" comes in such that I have no ulterior motive. I find it strange that so many rave about the acting and the script, and I found it wayward and pedantic and overly long with terrible acting.

Cold Warrior
Aug 2, 2008, 01:07 PM

All - Let's not argue about arguing, shall we? Keep it impersonal and don't take anyone's comments too seriously. Thanks.

James L
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2008, 01:12 PM

I don't like the film for no other reason than because it sucked in every way. What I can't get over is how people actually like/love it. Of course this is my opinion, but the "period" comes in such that I have no ulterior motive. I find it strange that so many rave about the acting and the script, and I found it wayward and pedantic and overly long with terrible acting.
Wow, and on page 3 you gave it 3 out of 5:

Originally Posted by freudling
Overall, 3 stars out of 5.
I'd hate to see what you gave a movie that was worse than "sucked in every way".

freudling
Banned
Aug 2, 2008, 01:20 PM

3 out of 5 is not good. Whatever. I should have given it 2, so let me say that it is 2 out of 5 stars. Is that better?

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2008, 01:32 PM

This thread is the Internet at its best.

freudling
Banned
Aug 2, 2008, 07:22 PM

"This thread is the Internet at its best."

MacNN at its best: Nerds getting blue in the face because some of us don't like their precious Batman.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2008, 07:28 PM

MacNN at its best: Nerds getting blue in the face because some of us don't like their precious Batman.
LOL. Way to miss the point. You're the one who's posted the most in this stupid thread.

PlacidTubs
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2008, 07:46 PM

Unless I'm misinterpreting the irony here, this is one of the funniest posts I've ever read.

dav
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2008, 08:12 PM

i liked tdk, thought it was good. a thumbs up, or 7 out of 10 for me.
one post closer to five stars

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2008, 08:16 PM

People HAVE to hate the cool thing, because that, in and of itself, is the cool thing to do.

I have great taste in movies, and I thoroughly enjoyed TDK. I didn't really like Begins, or mostly any other blockbuster/action/superhero movie. Whenever there is hype there will always be someone waiting to be the one person to sh!t all over the parade. Being a member on a Mac forum has allowed me first-hand observation of this hundreds of times.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2008, 08:17 PM

Some of my thoughts:

-really enjoyed it. I liked BB more though. BB/TDK puts the other 4 (or 5?) Batman movies to shame. IMO, all of those are horrible, although the first one is tolerable. Christian Bale is an excellent choice for both Batman and Bruce Wayne.

-I'm pretty sure Bale's voice is altered post-production. No one has really mentioned that, just that he is hard to understand. Agreed.

-I've never seen a movie with Heath Ledger in it. Thumbs up, he did an excellent job. Frighteningly good portrayal as others have mentioned. Someone above said you cringe when the Joker comes on screen, he just makes you uncomfortable (in a good way, with his acting).

-wanted to see the rebuilt mansion and batcave but I guess that can wait until the next one. It was weird to see all of Batman's ops being run out of Wayne tower.

-I've never read the comic book or novels so don't understand all of the subtleties, especially with Bruce Wayne/Batman's internal struggles on even being a hero. I always thought Batman liked rounding up the bad guys. I guess as much as you can like getting the crap beat out of you.

-no real reason for the costume change. BW said he needed more flexibility, etc. but as a viewer, I was never aware that the costume he was using was giving him any problems. Seems like a costume designer wanted a change? Again, I haven't read the comics and I understand the ongoing evolution of the costume.

-someone has already mentioned the fight scenes being dark and choppy. Agree 100% but it's not specific to TDK. Many movies do this same thing and it's getting really irritating. I would think that nowadays that fight scenes could be good with some lighting but they still hide most of it with low lighting. I get that that Batman mostly comes out at night. That being said, BM kicked/punched the crap out of alot of people!!!

I'm sure I'll have more thoughts later. I'll give it a 9 on IMDB later.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2008, 08:34 PM

I agree with both of your points.

I finally managed to get tickets for the IMAX and my wife and I are going tomorrow.
I wanted to watch it a second time.

freudling
Banned
Aug 2, 2008, 08:57 PM

I just saw it again for a second time and I have to see, I really enjoyed it.

I feel asleep after the first 5 minutes but dreamt of an improved version of it the entire way through. Too bad I could not have had that dream before this movie was made...

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2008, 12:23 PM

I just saw it again for a second time and I have to see, I really enjoyed it.

I feel asleep after the first 5 minutes but dreamt of an improved version of it the entire way through. Too bad I could not have had that dream before this movie was made...
Fail.

PaperNotes
Aug 3, 2008, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by PlacidTubs View Post
It may have been more dark visually, but it was much more fun and campy in tone than The Dark Knight, which was so much darker in virtually every other way.
Bale's performance does seem more like a young version of Keaton's interpretation though. With muscles.

freudling
Banned
Aug 3, 2008, 01:29 PM

scaught:

Pass.

PlacidTubs
Forum Regular
Aug 3, 2008, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by PaperNotes View Post
Bale's performance does seem more like a young version of Keaton's interpretation though. With muscles.
I don't see this at all. Keaton's was more like someone who had turned a bit peculiar because of chronic loneliness.

Bale's Wayne is much more angry and brooding - much more how Bruce Wayne should be. He also gives an extra dimension with a distinctly different public persona (very Patrick Bateman in these scenes), which Keaton didn't really do. I think Bale balances these 3 elements of Bruce Wayne perfectly, where i feel Keaton only really attempted one.

freudling
Banned
Aug 3, 2008, 03:30 PM

Keaton's was a better performance, as I duck from the debris being tossed at me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules