Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The Shield: Final Episode/Season

The Shield: Final Episode/Season
Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 26, 2008, 09:18 AM

Two TV threads in one week for me...

Not sure there are too many fans here, particularly after 7 seasons, but thought I'd check anyway. For someone who claimed he didn't like the loose ends of the Sopranos finale, I felt Shawn Ryan ended up leaving a decent amount of his own. I have to give him credit for leaving Vic somewhere no one really expected, but by the same token, it also feels unjust.

Overall, I thought the writing this season was a little forced, trying to jam in a epic plot at the cost of some odd pacing and leaving quite a few loopholes. Still, if I read things right, it'd be interesting to consider that each episode was a day, and the entire season took place in what would have been a hellish 2 weeks.

Anybody else?

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 26, 2008, 12:15 PM

I thought The Shield ended masterfully. My fiancee' and I were discussing it prior to the final episode airing and we both made our predictions.

The only question I had after it was done was ....

What happened to all the cash that was left over (not marked or burned by Lem) from the Armenian money train robbery?

OAW
( Last edited by OAW; Nov 26, 2008 at 12:43 PM. )

Cold Warrior
Nov 26, 2008, 12:26 PM

I haven't watched the episode yet but am looking forward to it. I've been a fan since it premiered. Generally each season has been action-packed although I think this last season has felt rushed at times. I've enjoyed the series and it'll make for a good start-to-finish weekend marathon at some point for me. I've always like Vic's strategic way of thinking. He considers the angles, motivations, strengths, and weaknesses of the players and then manipulates it all like a chess game. It's much more than just blunt police tactics. True strategy.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 15, 2009, 01:04 AM

I picked this show up in early May and just watched the finale tonight (I also just found out about the "promosode" bridging seasons 5 and 6, and watched that last night).

The images of Shane's family were striking.

Vic ending up where he did seemed worse than prison. The way he tucked his gun into his belt and had a smirk on his face at the end made me wonder if he moonlights as a vigilante.

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
What happened to all the cash that was left over (not marked or burned by Lem) from the Armenian money train robbery?
Split 3 ways (excluding Lem) it was $65,000 per person. When Vic thought he was going to die, he gave it to Corrine, and she spent it on tuition. She brought it up when Vic was being investigated by Kavanaugh.

Great series, altogether. I'm still trying to figure out what to watch next.

Cold Warrior
Aug 15, 2009, 08:57 AM

At first I felt a little disappointed in Vic's outcome. I'd always seen Ronnie and him as anti-heroes, and even as anti-heroes perhaps deserving of some sort of decent ending. But after the finale, I reflected more on the anti-hero label and decided that he'd drifted too far from what morals he'd shown. The good that he did stopped being enough to outweigh the evil and karma tipped against him. So he ended up the way he did and I can accept it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules